40TDI Oil top up

StuF

Reaction score
Oil light came on yesterday at 7000 miles, was all set to chuck in a litre of Castrol Edge 5w30 VW 504 00/ 507 00 then I noticed in the owners manual that it says that you can only add half a litre of this once between oil changes and in an emergency only. Is this purely scaremongering and forcing you down the road of driving down to the nearest audi dealership and spending your money down there on effectively the same oil?

Cheers
Stu

Attachments

• 20220502_113524.jpg
    20220502_113524.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 152
If it’s vw approved you can add as much as you want.

Reactions: StuF
The manual is a bit vague. I think what it's saying is, if the oil is the wrong viscosity. say 10w40, then provided the oil conforms to 504 00, 507 00 you can use it to top up, use half a litre.
If the oil conforms to the VAG spec 504 00, 507 00 and is the correct viscosity, 5w30 then you can change / top up as you like. :thumbs up:

Reactions: abmat and StuF
Thanks all, yeah the manual is as clear as mud

Reactions: Gazwould
I’d be more bothered about a oil warning light after 7k miles.

A bit of googling suggests it's not unheard of but I'll be getting onto Audi tomorrow. Just needed the oil light off first

A bit of googling suggests a bit of oil usage is not unheard of but I'll be getting onto Audi tomorrow. Just needed the oil light off first

This might help https://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com/eng/ Entered my reg (40TFSi) and it says I need 0w-20 oil which seems incredibly thin.

When you say the oil light, do you mean the oil warning light or the message to add oil? If it is the oil warning light that could point to something more problematic as it suggests low oil pressure when may have nothing to do with how much oil is there and you need to get it looked at. If it is just "add oil" then it is not unheard of and Audi themselves say that 0.5l per 1000 miles is within tolerance. Also I find the app on my phone (not the car) saying one day "add oil" and then the next day all is fine and saying "level OK" even tough I have done nothing. Oh for a proper dipstick!

This might help https://valvoline-eu.lubricantadvisor.com/eng/ Entered my reg (40TFSi) and it says I need 0w-20 oil which seems incredibly thin.

When you say the oil light, do you mean the oil warning light or the message to add oil? If it is the oil warning light that could point to something more problematic as it suggests low oil pressure when may have nothing to do with how much oil is there and you need to get it looked at. If it is just "add oil" then it is not unheard of and Audi themselves say that 0.5l per 1000 miles is within tolerance. Also I find the app on my phone (not the car) saying one day "add oil" and then the next day all is fine and saying "level OK" even tough I have done nothing. Oh for a proper dipstick!
Sorry, it was the message to add more oil which I've just done so all is peachy again. I agree though a dipstick would be handy

I’ve had the same message. According to my dealer you don’t need to add anything unless the warning light comes on.

I have taken it in to them as I had the message 1 week into ownership. They checked and all was ok.

I to monitor the level on the mmi and app and it does fluctuate.

there is a dipstick port but it’s for dealers only. I don’t even know where it is.

I’ve had the same message. According to my dealer you don’t need to add anything unless the warning light comes on.

I have taken it in to them as I had the message 1 week into ownership. They checked and all was ok.

I to monitor the level on the mmi and app and it does fluctuate.

there is a dipstick port but it’s for dealers only. I don’t even know where it is.
Well the warning light was staying lit and it was asking for 1 litre of oil so no harm in topping it up. It's just another adventure in C8 ownership

Well the warning light was staying lit and it was asking for 1 litre of oil so no harm in topping it up. It's just another adventure in C8 ownership
Sorry I misread. Didn’t realise you had the light as well.

Just to add my light came on after 8000 miles today.

it must be normal as I had 1l of oil in the boot from when I collected the car. Never had an oil light come on in 20yrs of Audi ownership. Must be due to the engine being new. I’m going to get an oil change done soon once the car gets to a year old.

The oil specified is a low viscosity oil. Now fairly typical in all vehicles due to emission regulations tightening manufacturers. As a result like most high performance cars oil loss is increased through combustion/heat.
If I recall in the handbook 1ltre of loss oil up to 650 miles is within manufacture tolerance. (Please bear in mind that those figures are actually based on the engine rpm being higher than 3000rpm for an extended duration to simulate high usage/temperature you’d expect on a motorway under hard acceleration).

Oil light came on yesterday at 7000 miles, was all set to chuck in a litre of Castrol Edge 5w30 VW 504 00/ 507 00 then I noticed in the owners manual that it says that you can only add half a litre of this once between oil changes and in an emergency only. Is this purely scaremongering and forcing you down the road of driving down to the nearest audi dealership and spending your money down there on effectively the same oil?

Cheers
Stu
Buy a gallon of stuff. Mine is at 18k and it has flashed up low oil on 3 occasions each time putting 0.5 litre. In 25 years I've never needed to top up a engines oil.