500km/h Train video

dunno if its uses a track, isnt it like magnetic field stuff , im sure they had something called the Bullet b4....

Yeah, it was a TGV Atlantique set (normally runs from Paris down the Atlantic coast side of France through Bordeaux towards Spain); but shortened to the two power units and I think three passenger cars (although empty as these were dedicated speed-record attempts). They managed about 520 (and change) miles per hour. No, I'm not a proper Railway geek, it's just people in our family have worked at GEC-Alstom and helped making bits for them!

Slug's right too... No track on the train in the video; magnetic levitation in linear format. Three pairs of magnets in use (on the underside and left/right of the train, with facing-sets on the pathway), activated in sequence with opposing magnetic poles to those on the train to produce levitation and forward motion without mechanical-adhesion; so leaves shouldn't be a problem (unless in ENORMOUS quantities); BUT... What happens when an artic delivering iron-filings sheds its load? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

Rob.

yeh it's magnetic levitation so there are no parts actually in contact as I understand it when moving so it should be a LOT smoother than something like the TGV, both are amasing technical achievements though.

Brother went on this last year and the video he did of it from stood up inside at 500km going past cars on the highway was hilarious. He was stunned at how good it was.