60 GB vs 40 GB PS3?

Geordie Mike

Yeee-haw
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to getting a PS3 and thinking of buying a used 60 GB (with the backward compatability), which with some games can get up to £500.

Or should I just forget about the old PS2 games (I still enjoy having a thrash around on GTA now and again) and get the 40 GB version new???

Anyone been in a similar position and happy/regretted it?

Mike

i bought the ps3 on its launch day and im glad i did,my dads got th 40gb ps3 and he wishes he had the 60gb.
The main differences are the extra 20gb,4 usb ports instead of 2,ps2 games are playable and the 60gb has a fold up flap which allows you to insert different formats of memory cards from cameras ,psp etc.but its up to you,you have to decide whether you want a better console or a new warranty.hope this helps:icon_thumright:

I would go for the 60Gb. I had one before I split up my missus, left it there for the kids. Now got a 40Gb which is a good machine but I really miss the backwards compatability. Now that the PS3 is out, loads of the PS2 games are getting cheaper but with the 40Gb I dont get a chance to even try them.

60GB all the way.... if your happy to spread for the extra £££'s its worth it.

4 usb's over the 2 mean I dont need to unplug my USB stick to transfer my UT maps to and I can charge my padles at the same time...
and the underflap MMC slots are usefull too. Plus of course backward compat.

get the 60GB, you cant play american games on the 40gb but you can on the 60GB. and at the moment with $2 = £1 you can get games really cheap from american

yeah, but with some games purchased abroad you can only play on those servers... e.g. Unreal. So you might not be able to play your mates.

What about the 80gb option converted to uk spec or wait to end of year for the 120gb/160gb model.I know this is for the usa market only,But they said that about xbox-360 elite!!!!!!!:blow:

I reckon the 80 gb will head here soon enough - going to wait 'til then. It's GTA I'm waiting for (never been into COD).

Why bother waiting for that? Just get the 60GB and put a bigger drive in. It won't affect the warranty, as it even gives instructions on how to upgrade the drive in the user guide.

Thats exactly what I was gonna say... Sony are a little confused as to why theres the issue on 60GB (space-wise) when they have said, just upgrade it to whatever you want. :rockwoot:

I heard the 40gb controllers dont vibrate but the 60gb do?? is this true?

The new 40GB PS3 and Dual Shock 3 pad both launched in Japan,but not sure if that for the uk market.:box:

yeah, maybe?? Id dont miss vibration at all actually... thought I would...

I have 2 60 gig ps3's, one I have just put a 320Gig drive in. Without doubt the backward compatable is really good (even though I still have 2 ps2's).
I got my first ps3 in a package from Game last october before the xmas rush and just picked up another off ebay quite reasobably.
I use the media centre feature mostly and also use it as a blueray player so its well worth the £300 i paid . Oceans 13 in blueray on the 42 inch plasma is excellent..

COD4 is just awesome!..

thats what ive done 911 but i bought a 40gb and put a 320 gb sata 7200rpm hard drive in it.only took 5 minutes to change. as for backwards compatability i aint bothered if i wanted to play ps2 games i would av kept my ps2

where do you get these drives for the ps3 and how much do you pay for 320gb

blah... sony and release dates!

Just got a mail from Amazon too saying MGS release date to them was going back to 12th-14th June.

320GB users I assume your PS3 is a complete media hub... Sonys goal is being achieved then??