RSQ3 65 plate SQ5 to 65 plate RSQ3

Worth looking at Arnold Clark York, 2015 RSQ3 18K miles £27K and looks really nice.

Seen my ultimate RSQ3 performamce at Derby Audi!
Perfect spec and colour but I'm keeping the SQ5 for now.
Mainly because I like the SQ5 for what it does different to the RSQ3 and because I'm not taking a £10k hit in a little over 12 months just to scratch the itch........that and the country has gone bonkers in the last few weeks and I'm self employed in the building trade.
I'll have a look though just for research purposes:icon thumright:

Had a run out in mine this morning...pano roof open, streaming Amazon music on the Bose and enjoying the beautiful weather and the pure pleasure of driving an exceptional Audi - the 8U RSQ3 performance has all the tech one could sensibly want linked to a truly amazing engine. The delight of spinning it to the red line with the 5 cyl howl, the aggressive transmission shifts and repeated punches in the back as it lunges at the horizon with soundtrack to match. Yeah, OK, didn't stay at home as per Government's guidance but was on my own...

Reactions: 45bvtc, alanyork, -Ju- and 2 others
Seen my ultimate RSQ3 performamce at Derby Audi!
Perfect spec and colour but I'm keeping the SQ5 for now.
Mainly because I like the SQ5 for what it does different to the RSQ3 and because I'm not taking a £10k hit in a little over 12 months just to scratch the itch........that and the country has gone bonkers in the last few weeks and I'm self employed in the building trade.
I'll have a look though just for research purposes:icon thumright:
Im self employed in the building trade too.

Fingers crossed for you guys today:

"Rishi Sunak is to reveal help for the self-employed TODAY... after vowing to plough hundreds of billions of pounds into support package:

• Huge' package to support the self-employed will be unveiled today (Thursday 26 March)

• Bespoke' measures will include direct income via non-repayable grants

• PM says package will 'ensure everybody gets the support they need"

Reactions: -Ju-
Fingers crossed for you guys today:

"Rishi Sunak is to reveal help for the self-employed TODAY... after vowing to plough hundreds of billions of pounds into support package:

• Huge' package to support the self-employed will be unveiled today (Thursday 26 March)

• Bespoke' measures will include direct income via non-repayable grants

• PM says package will 'ensure everybody gets the support they need"
Yeah it looks promising and imo only fair to support all workers that are affected, be it employed or self employed.
The company I contract to has shut down now for 3 weeks as we primarily work at residential properties which is unsustainable at the moment.

Ju have a look on autotrader Grey RSQ3 @ ABT Edition 410 bhp , 65 plate, 8850 miles, £31950. Love the exhaust!

Yes Alan I did see that one.
I had decided to keep the SQ5, mainly due to the cost to change and the current climate, but also the company I subcontract to have shut up shop for now along with all the dealers
I did however have a chat with Deby Audi over their RSQ3 performance last week and if it's still available after lockdown I may explore that one.
In the mean time, the SQ5 is looking really shiny with all this time at home lol

Reactions: 45bvtc
Yes Alan I did see that one.
I had decided to keep the SQ5, mainly due to the cost to change and the current climate, but also the company I subcontract to have shut up shop for now along with all the dealers
I did however have a chat with Deby Audi over their RSQ3 performance last week and if it's still available after lockdown I may explore that one.
In the mean time, the SQ5 is looking really shiny with all this time at home lol
I think your best to keep your beautiful SQ5 for the foreseeable, then look into a used RSQ3 of the new model later this year. I have a feeling the new model will sell in big numbers meaning used prices will be better. All speculative though!

I think your best to keep your beautiful SQ5 for the foreseeable, then look into a used RSQ3 of the new model later this year. I have a feeling the new model will sell in big numbers meaning used prices will be better. All speculative though!
I like your thinking but in my circumstances going forward I'd rather not go down the pcp route, a new model RSQ3 would still be way over £40k for a good while.

I like your thinking but in my circumstances going forward I'd rather not go down the pcp route, a new model RSQ3 would still be way over £40k for a good while.

No need to change other than to change, Ju; SQ5 is one COMPLETE piece of machinery - that'll keep gong fr years and years so rather than spending or renting or PCPing or whatever why not keep your own superb machine; other than not having a couple of 'RS' badges here and there and I've already shown those listed on eBay. Oh, and a private plate if you don't have one and no-one will know the difference. I get asked so many times 'how old is that? as it still looks like a new 'un, and so does yours. Spend yer £s elsewhere and enjoy what you have, it's a cracker - and just in case you've forgotten:

Ju SQ5

Stay safe...

PS: my offer still stands :racer:

Reactions: -Ju-
Haha trust you John to fight the SQ5 corner. You dont have to preach to me, I know the virtues of one.
I guess I'm just a little bored,.its something I always do around this time of ownership and I change my mind as often as the wind changes direction lol.
And yes I do have a personalised reg on it.....don't want people knowing it's not a 2016 SQ5:whistle2:

Haha trust you John to fight the SQ5 corner. You dont have to preach to me, I know the virtues of one.
I guess I'm just a little bored,.its something I always do around this time of ownership and I change my mind as often as the wind changes direction lol.
And yes I do have a personalised reg on it.....don't want people knowing it's not a 2016 SQ5:whistle2:

Back to that 2015 ASN dealer meet at Stafford Audi, Ju

"I know what's coming and can't wait to get my hands on the RS7; everything else will be judged against it as for me the RS7 ticks all of my boxes. And so it did; out on my prescribed route to Uttoxeter and back with some mid 3-figure numbers shown on the head-up: kept trying to get closer to that display but couldn't. Came back exhausted, how can you improve on the engine/brakes/dynamics of this machine?

A coffee, a quick chat, a "who wants a go in an RS5?" and my hand going for the ceiling lights. This is the old RS5, Stafford Audi has had it some time, and the tyres are seriously well run in. Same route but hey, this thing is a' sliding like the RS7 didn't. However, I've now an RS4 stuck-to-me-bum so I need to push; push and slide, push and slide. A great noise the RS5 makes must have woken up several road users between Stafford and Uttoxeter but hey, the morning's getting on.

Another coffee and bacon butty. The S1; hand up again; been practising clutch-in, move the knobled gear-stick, clutch-out, with our A2 (Suzy) for two weeks now so we're thinking we're ok... We obviously need more practice; however, what a superb motor car: brakes, steering, interior trim, and noise, just about everything is ticking all the right boxes...

Andy Poole keeps on saying I've got to try the S8, "you MUST try the S8" again and again.

OK, we'll give it a go. A different route but ok. 1000yards and were both speaking words I don't want to print here but WOW! What a piece of machinery. This is some big piece of machinery that gave a Jaguar driver a work-out (and lost...) The short run was extended, doubled maybe, and this piece of machinery was hugely impressive in every way; brake and steering feel on the damp, undulating, duck and dive roads was hugely impressive; I couldn't fault it. I didn't try what 'jojo' did mind, and 'desertstorm' will be happy if he doesn't do it again with him passenger, either...

What else? Who wants a go in an SQ5 shouts Andy Poole and this bl**dy hand is in the air again with me looking at it...

OK! The SQ5 is a twin turbo diesel; now I didn't know that until I got back! Believe me, I DID NOT KNOW IT WAS A DIESEL. I'll be checking later; but this thing was, again, amazing! Out on the twisty, wet stuff, and this thing was behaving like a hooligan, just like all the others, actually..."

:whistle2: 12-months of SQ5 ownership now, Ju, and my opinion hasn't changed and for that matter neither has the mileage on our TT and/or RS3 :racer:

Reactions: cosmicblue and -Ju-

It's just one of those itches that needs a scratch isn't it Ju?

An SQ5 (remember I've had two of the BiTDI versions) is a great car - make no mistake.

An RSQ3 is a different ownership experience - dominated by the mental engine at the front of course with a distinct Jekyll & Hyde split personality - wickedly quick without trying and just bonkers. An RSQ3 is lighter than an SQ5 so feels a bit more agile/keener to change direction - you can drive it harder, leave braking much later as those enormous 8 piston calipers/wavy discs shed speed super effectively. One is always mindful that the RSQ3 has a certain rawness attached and you could fly off the road if you took excessive liberties - things that most likely a lower RS3 would get away with so it has wilful character - by the bucket load. It isn't perfect (like the departed B9 RS4 was) and that makes for a better ownership experience. The lovely exhaust bark when you start the car is real (the car opens the exhaust flap into Sport mode) and reminds you every time that it's properly special.

The characteristic all RSQ3 owners comment on is that the car is naturally effortlessly rapid - quicker off the line without trying, quicker than an SQ5 even with all that torque - an RSQ3 performance is quoted at 4.4s to 60....waaaay quicker than any SUV has right to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc, -Ju- and alanyork
It's just one of those itches that needs a scratch isn't it Ju?
Yes it is just that
In an ideal world I would keep the SQ5 and get an 8P RS3 as I just love the 8P. I've had 4 of them (2 x 3.2's and 2 x S3's), but the wife wont drive anymore so it would be an expensive ornament like @45bvtc haha
I've sorted the handling on the SQ with Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs and I honestly dont drive it hard enough to worry the brakes so that's not an issue
I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say and only a test drive will scratch it!

I'd have to agree with the SQ5, there is sooooo much torque it's effortless but perhaps lacks the drama of that 5 pot because of it.
Still a cracking engine though

OK, just given BLUEY a quick 15.8mpg quick run with due diligence, Ju, obviously; just to get rid of the (Covid) cobwebs and all, you'll understand :blink:

Covid 1

What a machine is an RS3! And an RSQ3 too - so as not to upset anyone; played with them too! That said, the TORQUE from the SQ5 is the more usable and making it a more everyday laughable 'rush.' Gotta be playing silly bu**ers on the road to 'explore' an RS3 - and I just have :whip:

Said I'd report back, Ju.

Best give BLUEY a wash now before tucking her back in her lair - Squiffy in the background please note...

Might drop the 8.5 fronts on later as it's a nice day.

PS: anyone running an RS3 'without' an up-rated rear ARB should stop now and just do it! :racer:

Stay safe all...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryant1998 and cosmicblue
Fabulous - and the day for it as well. To my mind there are few automotive sound tracks better than the howl of the Audi 5 pot doing what it does best - I've owned V8s, straight 6s and V6s, high reving Honda VTECs and the RS is just spine tingle-special - fuel economy as you have indicated....there isn't any!

Fabulous - and the day for it as well. To my mind there are few automotive sound tracks better than the howl of the Audi 5 pot doing what it does best - I've owned V8s, straight 6s and V6s, high reving Honda VTECs and the RS is just spine tingle-special - fuel economy as you have indicated....there isn't any!

110% agree, and BLUEY is sans secondary cats, just lovely:

A few years back mind but nothing has changed...

Reactions: Bryant1998 and cosmicblue
C'mon, yer gotta be kiddin'...

View attachment 198514

I know the 5-pot is lovely and all but hello the 2016 SQ5's TDi lump is similarly remarkable and over most UK roads/journeys far more usable for more of the time - for me/us anyway :racer:

Floret silver looks amazing. I’ve just swapped mine out & totally miss this unforgiving colour.