72k and 4.5 years with my S4 B9, just about to order an S3

monkey66

Reaction score
I have loved this car and probably will get another 6 months before the new car is ready. I do about 15k per years and wanted a car that will be fun and luxurious.

TBH I am gutted to see her go but I was not prepared to spend £25k on a 72k miles car (the settlement figure offered).

The car has been almost faultless, a coolant leak/light at around 40k miles that I think was the thermostat housing is about it (dealer fix under warranty). A few rattles from the dash but nothing too bad. Tyres and brake wear have been excellent (the bulk of my miles have been motorway) and really fun on the country roads. Multiple blockages on the rear washer like everyone else.

Mileage averaged at 29.7 with 35-39mpg easily achievable with a little effort on the motorway.

The only mod I did was change the paddles. This was a great move, I wonder if they will fit the S3?

Performance - the car feels faster now than it did new. The exhaust probably took 40-50k miles to open up and sounds fantastic now. I would even say the gearbox seems faster. I suspect a significant part of this is both the car adapting to your driving and the driver learning how to take up the slack in the car.

I test drove an Alpina B3 and that is top of my list but currently way out of my price range.

I am about to order a S3 sedan, Vorsprung, Mythos. A step down for sure but the current prices are crazy. I did think new RS3/used RS4 but I just don't think (for me) an RS is a good call for a high-mileage daily. I need to stay with Audi/VW to extend the old lease.

Just done a full service and front tyres and probably 6 months left to spank the nuts out of this wonderful car (when the opportunity allows).

Good luck I wish you well with your choice. As you probably are aware I sold my A4 in the spring and purchased a BMW 2 Series M235i GC, the direct competitor to the S3. I looked at other Audi's, specifically A/S3's, but I just couldn't live with that dash. I find the interior of the BMW almost on the same level as my A4 was with vastly superior technology. In looking at the 8Y forum there does seem to be quite a number of A3's experiencing issues of a electrical kind and, touch wood, my GC has been faultless. Funnily enough I have more people compliment me on my choice than I ever had with the A4.

But I hope you enjoy many miles of trouble free and enjoyable motoring...

Just go for the 2nd hand RS4 :smirk:

Last chance before we are all bumbling around in electric speed governed faceless plastic boxes.

that‘s my biased justification anyway

I enjoyed my S4 and based on the type of driving I mostly do, I perhaps should have just kept it. However, for those days that I do get a decent drive the RS is still worth every penny.

Good luck with the S3, still a fine car

Just go for the 2nd hand RS4 :smirk:

Last chance before we are all bumbling around in electric speed governed faceless plastic boxes.

that‘s my biased justification anyway

I enjoyed my S4 and based on the type of driving I mostly do, I perhaps should have just kept it. However, for those days that I do get a decent drive the RS is still worth every penny.

Good luck with the S3, still a fine car

I hear you. I just think an RS is impossible for me to justify to do 15-20k miles per year. Also not sure how relaxing the RS3 is on the motorway?

Saying all of that if I could have leased an RS4 at the prices 4 years ago I would be very tempted.

Funnily enough I keep looking at the RSQ3, a silly think but it has that great 5 pot in a bigger package.

Either way I have to be sensible with monthly's.

Looking at current build times I will most likely have the s4 for another 6-12 months so not so bad.

Reactions: SiPie
Pre-owned prices though are ridiculous at the moment. I see older versions of my car with higher mileage being advertised for £3k higher than I paid for mine new.

Ok so have flipped again. I don't want a S3, just too small. Going to start a new thread.