72k miles in a S4 B9 and now about to order an S3 sedan

monkey66

Reaction score
After a great 4.5 years in my S4 (about 15k per year) it is time for a new car. Prices are so silly that my choices are limited and I need to stay with Audi to extend my current lease.

After much deliberation I am going for an S3, Sedan. Mythos, Vorsprung, red calipers. I am really hoping all the toys and active suspension will be a good compensation for the loss of size and ride quality of the S4. I don't think real world performance will be much different. I do a lot of motorway miles and am really looking forward to the active cruise and heads-up, not options I currently have.

I am also going for the Dinamica microfibre/mono.pur 550 artificial leather combination seats in black. This was a shock to me as my default would have been full leather but from both look and comfort the inserts seem great to me. Does anyone have any experience with this interior?

I am also hoping I will re-kindle my love for a smaller car. I used to run a E46 M330i saloon and loved that car, I suspect the S3 8Y is not far off size wise. I grew up on Scirocco's and Golfs.

Although the 5 door would be more practical I just find the sedan more 'grown up' looking. I see not much love for Mythos. My first choice would be Daytona but that would be the same as my S4 and I need a change.

Fingers crossed that the electrical gremlins are well out of the mix in another 6 months (or however long the new car takes).

Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

About 6 months left to spank the S4.

Reactions: NevMan and DreamInCode
After a great 4.5 years in my S4 (about 15k per year) it is time for a new car. Prices are so silly that my choices are limited and I need to stay with Audi to extend my current lease.

After much deliberation I am going for an S3, Sedan. Mythos, Vorsprung, red calipers. I am really hoping all the toys and active suspension will be a good compensation for the loss of size and ride quality of the S4. I don't think real world performance will be much different. I do a lot of motorway miles and am really looking forward to the active cruise and heads-up, not options I currently have.

I am also going for the Dinamica microfibre/mono.pur 550 artificial leather combination seats in black. This was a shock to me as my default would have been full leather but from both look and comfort the inserts seem great to me. Does anyone have any experience with this interior?

I am also hoping I will re-kindle my love for a smaller car. I used to run a E46 M330i saloon and loved that car, I suspect the S3 8Y is not far off size wise. I grew up on Scirocco's and Golfs.

Although the 5 door would be more practical I just find the sedan more 'grown up' looking. I see not much love for Mythos. My first choice would be Daytona but that would be the same as my S4 and I need a change.

Fingers crossed that the electrical gremlins are well out of the mix in another 6 months (or however long the new car takes).

Have had a few Audi’s in Mythos, a cracking colour with lovey flecks in the paint, but as per any dark colour takes work to keep clean

For what it’s worth, I had an S4 avant B9 and currently have an S3 8Y sportback.

The noise is the biggest thing I miss from the B9, even though I’ve got a custom exhaust on the S3 it’s not the same.

Imho, the B9 is a keeper and I reaaaaallly regret selling it! Although I can understand the itchy feet after 75k.

Fancy a swap? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it’s worth, I had an S4 avant B9 and currently have an S3 8Y sportback.

The noise is the biggest thing I miss from the B9, even though I’ve got a custom exhaust on the S3 it’s not the same.

Imho, the B9 is a keeper and I reaaaaallly regret selling it! Although I can understand the itchy feet after 75k.

Fancy a swap? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha.

You are braver than me, I imagine the bills would be shocking for anything engine or drive-train related.

No doubt I will miss this car and wish prices had not gone crazy and the S4 was still petrol.

Still looking at build times I could have it another year yet

The car is the most comfortable I've owned. Plenty of seat adjustment, suspension is top notch imo and the drive train is fantastic. Great car all around as long as you keep in mind it's not an S4 and a different car all together, you won't be disappointed.

If you're coming from S4, then don't you think RS4 will be the logical upgrade from it? And why not RS3 saloon but S3 saloon?
(I'm assuming money is no problem)

Nice assumption but prices have gone up over 50% in 5 years.

I think an RS is too hard-core and expensive for a high milage daily.

Now looking at an S4 oiler.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: DreamInCode