8L S3 to 8P 3.2

coullstar

Reaction score
Afternoon all. Ive currenltly got a 2000 S3 with a fair few mods and its an amazing fast A to B car. Im thinking of selling and possibly getting a 3.2 quattro as I miss the NA and V6 noise from my old V6 4motion Golf.

Has anyone done this that could help with the decision? What the handling like on the 3.2? Ive looked at R32 as well but want something more subtle. Its is essentially the same engine as the R32?

Well, I was in the a similar position to you, I went from a V6 4motion to an 8P 140 TDI...Couldnt get used to it and just didnt like it. I then bought my present car and I love it, handling will be similar to the Golf, I find mine a little stiffer, and for a heavy front engined car its not to bad,ample for me, I would just go and have a drive in a couple and see how you go, its is the same engine as the R32, but the exhaust isnt as loud. Performance wise it will match a remapped 8L S3...ish.

I didn't have an S3 but had a remapped Cupra R before the 3.2 and I would say it's definitely not as quick as the Leon. The power comes quite different to the Turbo'd 1.8, but it is a great car, refined, deceptively quick and with a great soundtrack.

Try a couple out, with and without the DSG, as it will make a difference.

I had an S3 8L and drove my friends 3.2 8P and hated it. Soggy suspension, over servo'd brakes and throttle was too jerky. He drove my S3 and felt the same, 8L is easier and more rewarding to drive.

Your decision may have been made for you if you plan on buying new because the 3.2 is no longer available. The only way you can get one now is by buying second hand.

Rich

How come the 3.2 has been discontinued?

Re comparison to the S3, whilst I've never had a S3 I have had numerous turbo'd cars. The power delivery is of course totally different and as such a turbo car will always feel quicker, even if in reality its not.

I've heard lots of stories about understeer in the 3.2 but have yet to encounter it, if the car feels like it might go, a bit of adjusment with the accelerator seems to plant the back end and it takes of round corners. Not really sure how much heavier the 3.2 is up front compared to the 2L turbo. The 3.2 is a very small engine for its capacity.

The only other issue you need to consider is that come 2010 you'll be paying £400 for road tax, something which I feel will have abig effect on used values, at least until people get used to paying it in a few years. Oh, and fuel consumption is around 30mpg on a steady run to work or motorway but can drop to 20mpg if I'm driving around town.

Regards

Rob

How come the 3.2 has been discontinued?

Partly because of this:

The only other issue you need to consider is that come 2010 you'll be paying £400 for road tax

And also i would imagine it has something to do with the fact that it will cost anyone with a 3.2 £25 a day with the congestion charges.

I dont really understand it because the range needs a big N/A engine imo, turbo cars do not appeal to everyone, some people like displacement and a nice roar.

Rich

Depends whether you get another year's tax in before the cut off date, luckily I will, so for me it will be 2010. Hopefully by then we'll be rid of this Government, or close to it!

Rob

This country is silly for tax... why can't they get people get on with their lives...

How many families am I supporting with my income tax, coucil tax, tv license, road tax, petrol tax, VAT....?

Pedro

The 3.2 is a great car, I bought mine after owning an Evo 6 GSR for 4 years and wanted something more refined but still fun to drive. I have owned it for nearly 3 years and it has been great. The sound of the V6 is amazing :)