Facelift 8V Brakes - Front

lgooch

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Does anyone know the Allen key size for doing a brake pad change on a 2017 1.4 TFSI COD Black Edition

I think it might be 7mm but just wanted to make sure before I whip the wheels off and find it’s something different and I don’t have one

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm is standard for slider bolts. Was definitely 7mm on the rears

Reactions: lgooch
Does anyone know the Allen key size for doing a brake pad change on a 2017 1.4 TFSI COD Black Edition

I think it might be 7mm but just wanted to make sure before I whip the wheels off and find it’s something different and I don’t have one

Thanks in advance

do you mean the slider pin bolts to get the caliper off or the small screw that holds the disc on?
the slider pin will need a 13mm wrench on the outer bolt and a 17mm on the inner side to stop the pin spinning in place
as for the disc screw it is a torx t25 i think (could be t30/t35)

Just doing a pad change. My discs are fine.

So just the slider bolts to get the pads out and back in. Calliper bracket is staying where it is

So still 7mm hex ?

as for the disc screw it is a torx t25 i think (could be t30/t35)
Yes, watch that one. I've not done the A3 brakes yet but from experience on many other cars it's common to need a 'special' T27 torx bit to remove the screw holding the discs in place. Easily obtained but not usually included in a usual Torx bit set. One more attempt by the car manufacturers to put off us dedicated home mechanics....

not sure where you
Just doing a pad change. My discs are fine.

So just the slider bolts to get the pads out and back in. Calliper bracket is staying where it is

So still 7mm hex ?

not sure where you got 7mm from, youll need two regular wrenches a 13mm and a 17mm (the 13 can be a socket too but 17 must be a wrench)

Reactions: CraigM
not sure where you

not sure where you got 7mm from, youll need two regular wrenches a 13mm and a 17mm (the 13 can be a socket too but 17 must be a wrench)

I think you mean to remove the calliper bracket

I just want to do a pad change. I.e. flip out the slider bolt covers and use an Allen key to undo them.

Slide the pins out and remove the pads and calliper.

On some discs you can actually remove the disc without removing the calliper bracket but depends on the model and OD of the disc.

I think you mean to remove the calliper bracket

I just want to do a pad change. I.e. flip out the slider bolt covers and use an Allen key to undo them.

Slide the pins out and remove the pads and calliper.

On some discs you can actually remove the disc without removing the calliper bracket but depends on the model and OD of the disc.

no i am talking about the slide pins too, skip to 2:25 in this video and youll see what im talking about

I see what you mean now. Completely different design than the 8p

Appreciate the help and I have all the tools to do it now I do not need a 7 mm Allen key.

Cheers. Very helpful video