8V RS3 with wider wheels and 255/30 tyres

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
So how many of you 8V RS3 guys having perused the sales brochure have gone for the wider front wheel and tyre option; the wider fronts make a shed load of difference on the up-and-down twisting-and-winding stuff.

Most will have gone for the noise, I'm sure; but the front end 'bite' is way more exciting than the noise from the back.

As is the rubber withMichelin Pilot Super Sport tyres - the preferred 8P RS3 choice.

I went for 235s all round, had a test drive yesterday with the 255 fronts then changed my spec to the wider tyres. Was really impressed.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Not me, although I came close. I'm going to wear out the tyres and then use the original rims for winter tyres and buy some new wheels with 255 fronts for summer cos I really don't like the rotors! I'll see how it handles on the 235s. I've got this theory that fatter front tyres will generate more grip than 235s (dur) and cause the haldex to send more torque to the front because it can handle it. In extremis you could put prius tyres on the front and the haldex would push more torque to the rear! If instead you put Prius tyres on the rear (an exaggerated version of what you're doing by putting fatter tyres on the front) then you'll basically have a FWD car because almost nothing will go to the back. To balance out the heavy nose, you want more torque to the rear and that means not putting fatter tyres on the front...

On turn-in with little throttle or in a steady state corner then having fatter tyres on the front will help, but when you give it some boot then you'll be feeding the understeer by sending more torque to the front.

I won't drive it beyond the capabilities of the standard width tyres, so just getting the standard wheels painted black as I don't like diamond cuts. Going to get a different set too for next summer.

Reactions: Yorrick
agreed re the diamond cuts, wifey's got them on the golf and they are a beatch to maintain

Reactions: Caval4r
The whole point in ordering the black styling pack is to remove the chrome and aluminium. Don't want it on my wheels either. Black badges sitting here in the house too.

Reactions: GRE57Y
The whole point in ordering the black styling pack is to remove the chrome and aluminium. Don't want it on my wheels either. Black badges sitting here in the house too.

I'm going black badges and getting the exhaust tips done black too. Uber stealth!

Can you easily change the front four 'rings' for black ones?

Yep. Looks like they just pop out and push back in.

Reactions: NormantheDog
I want the tips done black too. No chrome here!

Only badge I can't find in gloss black is the front RS3 one. Everyone else I have. Even the interior Quattro one.

Only badge I can't find in gloss black is the front RS3 one. Everyone else I have. Even the interior Quattro one.

Same - I think the issue is because it comes with a black backing people assume you don't want black on black. Bit of plastic-dip is probably the solution.

SUBJECT: 8V RS3 with wider wheels and 255/30 tyres?

How did this go to badges and trim?

Reactions: T-800 and DAYTONA 500
I was just wondering that! It did stay on topic longer than most threads though :hi:

Reactions: 45bvtc and Caval4r
As we're so thoroughly off-topic, what I really want to know is why do we all use TWO forums? Maybe there's a few who only use this one or RS3OC but it seems that most people use both. Dunno about you chaps but I spend more time flitting between the two than actually reading stuff. Maybe we should all switch to one or the other?

Reactions: 45bvtc and Caval4r
RS3OC is good for very specific RS3 stuff. ASN is good for a wider view on stuff that relates to A3/S3/RS3 and comparing them.
I also frequent RS246/AudiSRS/A1-Forum!

AND you can count!

Reactions: josedebardi
Wheels and tyres.

(nothing to add, just getting back on topic for John):whistle2:

Reactions: 45bvtc and josedebardi
I flit between both too!

RS3OC is good for very specific RS3 stuff. ASN is good for a wider view on stuff that relates to A3/S3/RS3 and comparing them.
I also frequent RS246/AudiSRS/A1-Forum!

And me the A2 Owners Club; and Club Lotus, and others I'd care NOT to mention...

Reactions: Caval4r and Yorrick
As is the rubber withMichelin Pilot Super Sport tyres - the preferred 8P RS3 choice.

Are you saying these are the standard tyres or only on the wider wheel option?

Are you saying these are the standard tyres or only on the wider wheel option?

Original 2011 (mine) spec was 8J front and rear with Continental 235/35 fronts and 225/35 rears - this is a front wheel drive car...

The 8.5J with 255/30s for the front end became a later option available initially only on the Continent so I had to purchase mine (post the RS3 Ruthin meet; go see the video) from Germany.

With the 8.5J and 255/30 Continental's on the front I did transfer the original front 235/35 Continental's onto the rear but these would occasionally 'kiss' the inner wheel arch on full load; however, 235 Michelin Pilot Super Sport's are a tad narrower than the Continental's and these don't 'kiss' and that's what I run now (MPSS) on the rear with 255/30s MPSS on the front.

BLUEY's winter wear are 235/35 Vredestein's on STD 8J rims front and rear and no worries: I'm a committed cold weather/winter tyre user with all three of my Audis Vredestein shod... :racer:

If I order one it will only be with 255 fronts as the turn in / steering feel should be a lot better (it is the on the 8p) if it comes with contis they will get binned for MPSS on the trip home

Problem is M4 lease deals are coming in for the same monthly as Audi quoted me :)

Ok so I have 'upgraded' to the wider fronts but on the 'build' section of the website it gives a warning this may change co2 and the tax does anyone know if this is the case as I assume this is a caveat on all builds? Was looking at a civic today for my wife's company car and the difference between two trims was a 16" and 17" wheel and I was surprised the difference this had with co2 and the tax penalty to her but didn't think it was enough to change the actual car tax.

Ok so I have 'upgraded' to the wider fronts but on the 'build' section of the website it gives a warning this may change co2 and the tax does anyone know if this is the case as I assume this is a caveat on all builds? Was looking at a civic today for my wife's company car and the difference between two trims was a 16" and 17" wheel and I was surprised the difference this had with co2 and the tax penalty to her but didn't think it was enough to change the actual car tax.

It does have an impact...
Screen Shot 2015 06 18 at 233204

But it stays as Cat J regardless...
Screen Shot 2015 06 18 at 233240

It does nudge it up one for the company car BIK though...
Screen Shot 2015 06 18 at 233609

Reactions: NormantheDog