8V S3 Tuning Thread

So, got APR Stage 1 last week. It was 23 deg. in Glasgow and 26 deg. in the dyno room so a bit hot and the car pushed 302.5HP & 300.3 ft-lbs with zero mods (well, snow grate is out), not too bad.
They recommended the low torque map to avoid clutch slip as I’ve not 100% decided to do the TCU software yet but said I could flash the high torque map later for free if I wanted, so I played safe.

a5d74ad464cb3b37499f5155237f2341.jpg

Heat soak was becoming a problem but an hour later and it’s now just under 370HP (368.9HP) & 385.1 ft-lbs on the low torque 98 RON map and it’s so much better to drive. The power above 2500rpm is crazy but it’s actually smoother when taking it easy, very impressed.

0daaae3808c95c6ee500b42b21afab42.jpg

And...when I went to pay I discovered there’s a 20% discount until the end of the month, Bonus!

Here’s the but, now I’m thinking of the TCU software again..and a bit more torque

Is it worth it for the TCU? Thoughts?
Bit of an old thread revival..lol
How are you getting on with the APR tune mate?
I have found a local dealer selling these tunes. Been quoted £695 for the tune and they recommend aTCU tune for £625. Is this a reason able price?
Cheers buddy :icon thumright:

Car’s been great, no issues at all, runs as well as standard but with a nice bump in power.
I always let it fully warm up before pushing it since it’s possibly more fragile now. I drive it steadily most of the time so I don’t expect any issues.

I never did get round to doing the TCU software but the APR engine map is definitely recommended.

Reactions: pburv
Car’s been great, no issues at all, runs as well as standard but with a nice bump in power.
I always let it fully warm up before pushing it since it’s possibly more fragile now. I drive it steadily most of the time so I don’t expect any issues.

I never did get round to doing the TCU software but the APR engine map is definitely recommended.
Thanks for the reply. Is £695 a good price for this tune?

Definitely, the extra power is very noticeable when you push it but it doesn’t spoil the character of the car.
I had the same dilemma and wondered how much difference there would be but I’m very glad I did it and I definitely wouldn’t go back to stock even if I was offered a full refund.
Might be worth trying the ECU software first as I don’t feel the need for the TCU tune now.
FYI, my mpg and engine/exhaust sound hasn’t noticeably changed.

£700 is well worth it for the way the APR ECU tune wakes up the car without spoiling it.

Definitely, the extra power is very noticeable when you push it but it doesn’t spoil the character of the car.
I had the same dilemma and wondered how much difference there would be but I’m very glad I did it and I definitely wouldn’t go back to stock even if I was offered a full refund.
Might be worth trying the ECU software first as I don’t feel the need for the TCU tune now.
FYI, my mpg and engine/exhaust sound hasn’t noticeably changed.

£700 is well worth it for the way the APR ECU tune wakes up the car without spoiling it.
Great. That's what I want to hear:icon thumright:
Will probably be doing this sometime in May (have a few spending priorities before then). The car is no longer on finance so will take the chance as warranties doesn't really come into it for my car now. £695 isn't too much to pay for RS3 territory power:racer:
Thanks for the replies:thumbs up:

Reactions: MikeParkin
I’ve been stage 2 for years and still love it. Every time I get in the car it puts a smile on my face.

Just yesterday I had a little play with and M4 and i was pulling away.

I’ve been stage 2 for years and still love it. Every time I get in the car it puts a smile on my face.

Just yesterday I had a little play with and M4 and i was pulling away.
What bhp do you have now mike?
Also I suppose you had the box tuned?

I’ve been stage 2 for years and still love it. Every time I get in the car it puts a smile on my face

same as ^ but about only 8 months in. Its a completely different car to drive with that enormous shunt of torque.

What bhp do you have now mike?
Also I suppose you had the box tuned?

Hahaha I tune it with my left foot mate.

I haven’t had it on a dyno for a while but it should now be running over 400BHP and 550NM.

Still on the fence with Stage 3 really, just buying other parts at the moment.

Hahaha I tune it with my left foot mate.

I haven’t had it on a dyno for a while but it should now be running over 400BHP and 550NM.

Still on the fence with Stage 3 really, just buying other parts at the moment.
Wow! That's impressive.
Can't wait now to get it done. Roll on May-June :racer:
Will probably need brakes sorting by then. I'm still on original pads and discs from new.As you can tell I don't push my car hard lol

The car is very impressive @pburv played with many M3/4s and nothing in it and some I have actually gained on.

I changed mine to the clubsport front discs, ds2500 pads, tarox lines and Paige dot 5 fluid.

All I can say is it’s stops me fine and at some silly speeds.

The car is very impressive @pburv played with many M3/4s and nothing in it and some I have actually gained on.

I changed mine to the clubsport front discs, ds2500 pads, tarox lines and Paige dot 5 fluid.

All I can say is it’s stops me fine and at some silly speeds.
lol That's good to know. On the odd occasion I have had to stop in a hurry I noticed the standard brakes aren't that good! So will definitely be looking into an upgrade. Cheers buddy

If I was to track the car I would have changed the callipers but for road use the standard ones are fine. In most cases it’s the hoses and pads that make the difference.

Anyone gone Stage 3? Would like to myself but hear bad stories about poor power delivery and seems like a lot enjoy stage 2 but the extra power surely really transforms the car at stage 3. Also anyone stage 2 where does anyone live to may be speak to you about your car to help make an informed choice

Anyone gone Stage 3? Would like to myself but hear bad stories about poor power delivery and seems like a lot enjoy stage 2 but the extra power surely really transforms the car at stage 3. Also anyone stage 2 where does anyone live to may be speak to you about your car to help make an informed choice

I’m north east pal stage 2.

Reactions: DanielF

Iv been stage 3 for around 4 months and it's some step up from stage 2 how it picks up speed and keeps pulling hard all way past 7k revs and how quick it gets you there is nuts
My power delivery is really same as it was stage 2 I went for tte535 turbo and its fully spools at 3.2k revs and even bellow that on normal driving it drives fine managed 29mpg on a run but get 12 when I'm having fun :yellowrs4:

Reactions: MikeParkin and Leevr
Iv been stage 3 for around 4 months and it's some step up from stage 2 how it picks up speed and keeps pulling hard all way past 7k revs and how quick it gets you there is nuts
My power delivery is really same as it was stage 2 I went for tte535 turbo and its fully spools at 3.2k revs and even bellow that on normal driving it drives fine managed 29mpg on a run but get 12 when I'm having fun :yellowrs4:

Good to hear pal, I’m just waiting for the time being but looking forward to going stage 3.

I think if you were to go for bigger turbo like TTE610 then I would definitely forge the engine

I think if you were to go for bigger turbo like TTE610 then I would definitely forge the engine
I was planning to forge mine but not to sure now as there's people out there runing stage 3 successfully long term and others say u can go threw 3 or 4 engines to the price of a forged engine I know an engine can go any time to its just one of those things but if I was to get forged I'd be looking for more power threw meth ect deffo

I was planning to forge mine but not to sure now as there's people out there runing stage 3 successfully long term and others say u can go threw 3 or 4 engines to the price of a forged engine I know an engine can go any time to its just one of those things but if I was to get forged I'd be looking for more power threw meth ect deffo

For sure, these engines are fantastic but like you say they can go anytime. Like wise for any car even un-modified.

Reactions: Damo S