8Y RS3 Gremlins thread.

8YARWY

Electric Avenue
Reaction score
There’s a few things no doubt we’ve all noticed.

For about a week or so I now get Audi smartphone interface keep deactivating for the 1st 5 min of any journey, which in turn keeps cutting the radio out when it relaunches wireless CarPlay.

If it carries on I’ll go back to plugging the iPhone in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so far only problems with android auto wired and wirless :) nothing else 1.5k on clock

Nothing really serious, and nothing like the similar named Golf Mk8R Gremlin Encyclopedia
1) Memory seat that used to sometimes adjust to which ever key was used, and now just cant be ***** moving at all
2) 'Loading user settings' sometimes stays up for 20-30 seconds on start up
3) Audi 'pre sense' warning a little hyper compared to Golf R
4) Too sensitive key buttons

Thats about it tbh, and (Thank God) nothing like the issues our Mk8 Golf R mates seem to be having and I guess only my first 2 are 'Gremlins'

Nothing really serious, and nothing like the similar named Golf Mk8R Gremlin Encyclopedia
1) Memory seat that used to sometimes adjust to which ever key was used, and now just cant be ***** moving at all
2) 'Loading user settings' sometimes stays up for 20-30 seconds on start up
3) Audi 'pre sense' warning a little hyper compared to Golf R
4) Too sensitive key buttons

Thats about it tbh, and (Thank God) nothing like the issues our Mk8 Golf R mates seem to be having and I guess only my first 2 are 'Gremlins'

1) Electric Dementia seats

Reactions: billymc92, Jassyo06 and Mike.46
1) Electric Dementia seats

I have yet to try the long coding alteration in seat memory via vcds, it's not really a problem tbh, just annoying that it doesnt work every time (and now never)

It did have a bad habit of usually working after I parked a little close to wall in my garage and I sent the seat rearwards to assist in getting out, whenI returned the following day and opened the door the seat would move forward making my entry more difficult, almost as if it was taking the pi** :)

• Haha
Reactions: kayemill and 8YARWY
I have yet to try the long coding alteration in seat memory via vcds, it's not really a problem tbh, just annoying that it doesnt work every time (and now never)

It did have a bad habit of usually working after I parked a little close to wall in my garage and I sent the seat rearwards to assist in getting out, whenI returned the following day and opened the door the seat would move forward making my entry more difficult, almost as if it was taking the pi** :)
I had electric seats on my Mythos PFL 8v..............friggin pain took far to long to be where i wanted em.......not for me I'm afraid.

Reactions: cooperp
There’s a few things no doubt we’ve all noticed.

For about a week or so I now get Audi smartphone interface keep deactivating for the 1st 5 min of any journey, which in turn keeps cutting the radio out when it relaunches wireless CarPlay.

If it carries on I’ll go back to plugging the iPhone in.

I’ve just got my car back from service due to the reverse camera, I told them to do a software update as the car has a lot of bugs and they did and it fixed the problem! So I’d imagine you might need as well as you also got a early production car, I’ll check the software version soon

Reactions: 8YARWY
I've only got a few minor bits:
- Temperamental Apple Carplay as 8YARWY described. Normally fixed by turning phones Wifi off and on a couple of times
- A rattle that seems to be coming from under the virtual cockpit area
- In reverse at slow speed under quite hard lock the steering seems to make a loud squeaking noise. It doesn't do this moving forward with the same steering lock

Nothing worth a dealer visit just yet.

@Mike.46 I came from a Mk7.5 Golf R with Revo Stage 1 , but I've had a MK8 Golf R on order for 18 months. I haven't cancelled the order as I'm curious as to when it will eventually turn up, plus I wanted to keep the order open in case I didn't get on with the RS3, but so far I absolutely love it. I've also heard about loads of issues other owners have had with their Golfs.

Passenger side mirror not dipping in reverse. Any ideas?

Just checking……you have the rotary switch with the passenger side selected?

Just checking……you have the rotary switch with the passenger side selected?

Yep. I noticed when I got the car that it didn’t dip as much as my other car. But now it just doesn’t move at all.

- Temperamental Apple Carplay as 8YARWY described. Normally fixed by turning phones Wifi off and on a couple of times
- In reverse at slow speed under quite hard lock the steering seems to make a loud squeaking noise. It doesn't do this moving forward with the same steering lock

@Mike.46 I came from a Mk7.5 Golf R with Revo Stage 1 , but I've had a MK8 Golf R on order for 18 months. I haven't cancelled the order as I'm curious as to when it will eventually turn up, plus I wanted to keep the order open in case I didn't get on with the RS3, but so far I absolutely love it. I've also heard about loads of issues other owners have had with their Golfs.

Also have the intermittent small rattle coming from under the VC area. I think it's the gloss black trim, i've pushed against it a few times and it stops.

Mirror selector needs to be set to passenger mirror, and if it already is then it may have reset. Sit with the car in reverse, passenger mirror selected on the rotary switch and then move the mirror to suit where you would like to see in reverse. When you then select drive / above certain speed it should return to original position.

Reactions: JGRS3 and kayemill
Yep. I noticed when I got the car that it didn’t dip as much as my other car. But now it just doesn’t move at all.

The 8Y doesn’t slowly lose its position over time like the 8V did, so maybe just reset its position.

Reactions: kayemill
Also have the intermittent small rattle coming from under the VC area. I think it's the gloss black trim, i've pushed against it a few times and it stops.

Mirror selector needs to be set to passenger mirror, and if it already is then it may have reset. Sit with the car in reverse, passenger mirror selected on the rotary switch and then move the mirror to suit where you would like to see in reverse. When you then select drive / above certain speed it should return to original position.

Worked a treat. Thanks. Every day is a school day. Now dips further than my other car. Didn’t know you could change it. I should really read a manual once in a while.

Reactions: Apache007, HulkRS3 and RichK
I had electric seats on my Mythos PFL 8v..............friggin pain took far to long to be where i wanted em.......not for me I'm afraid.
They are actually one of the few (nice) surprises with car, I share car with Wifey who sits in normal wifey position close to the steering wheel and higher than I sit, just pressing the button to go to either her, or my position is brilliant :)

They are actually one of the few (nice) surprises with car, I share car with Wifey who sits in normal wifey position close to the steering wheel and higher than I sit, just pressing the button to go to either her, or my position is brilliant :)
they are great but a6 for.example can move seats back when you swich off engine for.easier access

Lol when it works you mean…..

Lol when it works you mean…..

Always work off the memory buttons though, single press whilst the door is open or press and hold if you get in and the base slides back/down and a little on the back as well, back to my 'perfect position, saves me hours sliding back and forth and pumping it up and down and twiddling the back rest knob?
I just need to get it to remember to do it depending on which key is used to open it,

New one today.

Driving along and bong……… key not in vehicle

• Wow
Reactions: kayemill and IanL-RS3

Just to update on my bits Apple Carplay has been much better behaved recently and the rattle was from the gloss black bits under cockpit (Fixed with an occasional firm bash).

Couple of new bits:
- Brakes (not ceramic) seem to be quite squeaky for the first few miles of driving...not sure if that's normal with these type of brakes
- Sometimes right after I start the car it says Gearbox Malfunction, which immediately goes away again

Just to update on my bits Apple Carplay has been much better behaved recently and the rattle was from the gloss black bits under cockpit (Fixed with an occasional firm bash).

Couple of new bits:
- Brakes (not ceramic) seem to be quite squeaky for the first few miles of driving...not sure if that's normal with these type of brakes
- Sometimes right after I start the car it says Gearbox Malfunction, which immediately goes away again
Second new one sounds a bit worrying!

Does no one else get the apply new settings popup whenever they start the car?

Does no one else get the apply new settings popup whenever they start the car?

Oh Lordy I’ll soon be putting my fist through the MMI

Reactions: DangerMouseUK
It might be sort of fixed on 3801 software

I’ve had it once, I clicked apply new settings and ow it hasn’t done it for at least 3-4 car restarts!

Not sure for how long though - wonder if 3801 is available via dealers to install to cars?

Did just sit at initialising the other day for 5 minutes and couldn’t use MMI at all but I’m getting used to this with Audi now.

Oh Lordy I’ll soon be putting my fist through the MMI

Classic Audi MMI. I’ve had two A4s(B9 & B9.5)— trading up to RS3 when this stupid thing gets off the boat.

In both cars, the MMI has just been such a pain. At least 3-5 clicks whenever starting the car just to get my CarPlay interface up.

Many times the screen wouldn’t turn on and had turn off car, open door for a minute or so and then back on.

As much as I love these cars and MMI, when it works, Audi doesn’t seem to address any of these bugs in the 4-4 years of my ownership of their vehicles.

Reactions: 8YARWY and DangerMouseUK
Classic Audi MMI. I’ve had two A4s(B9 & B9.5)— trading up to RS3 when this stupid thing gets off the boat.

In both cars, the MMI has just been such a pain. At least 3-5 clicks whenever starting the car just to get my CarPlay interface up.

Many times the screen wouldn’t turn on and had turn off car, open door for a minute or so and then back on.

As much as I love these cars and MMI, when it works, Audi doesn’t seem to address any of these bugs in the 4-4 years of my ownership of their vehicles.

I found both 8V’s to be perfectly fine in my ownership. Even the wireless CarPlay worked perfect via the dongle.

That’s a shame, my B9 S4 never had any MMI issues that I can remember. Hopefully the 8Y will be a better experience for you.

New Gremin today in the shape of a Tesla model 3 performance, f*****g thing chased me up a slip road then jumped me onto the local Motorway, he was playing ''There's a gap I'll jump into it'' that instant elec motor and 400+hp will outdo an RS3 every time, even if your sat behind him at 60mph in 3rd gear waiting for the car in front of him to pull over he'll do you every time :(

That's twice i've been 'electri fried' this week

Reactions: IanL-RS3 and DangerMouseUK
Is it locked? Isn’t it locked? Another one they haven’t quite fixed either!

c8e50acee97f69a086aabfe1d00258e2.jpg

So right now the car is fully locked.

The app is normally right though when it says one thing but when it says all windows and tailgate is open that’s normally an error with the app.

Had it on S3 & RS3 8Y so it’s common on this model.

Reactions: Deleted member 160894
New Gremin today in the shape of a Tesla model 3 performance, f*****g thing chased me up a slip road then jumped me onto the local Motorway, he was playing ''There's a gap I'll jump into it'' that instant elec motor and 400+hp will outdo an RS3 every time, even if your sat behind him at 60mph in 3rd gear waiting for the car in front of him to pull over he'll do you every time :(

That's twice i've been 'electri fried' this week
Lol just be thankful you don't have to drive such a PoS.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

This is ASR related and not necessarily the cars fault, but the extra noise under load causes a rattle at low revs when accelerating in the overhead light panel. A sinple press makes it go away but I need to investigate further as it returns very quickly.

Reactions: Mike.46
This is ASR related and not necessarily the cars fault, but the extra noise under load causes a rattle at low revs when accelerating in the overhead light panel. A sinple press makes it go away but I need to investigate further as it returns very quickly.

You have the pumped in sound turned down to 80% though ? It’s a fix on a TPI for a rattle

You have the pumped in sound turned down to 80% though ? It’s a fix on a TPI for a rattle

Yeah I'm at 80%. I might go down lower but the trim buzz peaks at about 2.5k rpm so I'm assuming it's more exhaust as that's when it really booms under load. The overhead panel also creaks when pressed.
There was a post on here about headliner removal which also included an image of the light panel removed, need to dig it out before I go yanking on it with my trim tools!!

Yeah I'm at 80%. I might go down lower but the trim buzz peaks at about 2.5k rpm so I'm assuming it's more exhaust as that's when it really booms under load. The overhead panel also creaks when pressed.
There was a post on here about headliner removal which also included an image of the light panel removed, need to dig it out before I go yanking on it with my trim tools!!
Mines at 50%

The light panel is on clips, just needs gently teasing to avoid cracking the flimsy plastic cover, the face trim can actually separate off the main body but it clips back in.

Reactions: RSt3ve

I noticed vibrations from the back left when pushing on in RS Performance, I wondered what it was but imagine it was probably just the speaker.

I noticed vibrations from the back left when pushing on in RS Performance, I wondered what it was but imagine it was probably just the speaker.
Its noticeable in a 'manual' mode if you floor the accelerator in a high gear at say 2000rpm, as the rpm rise it's like the 'Soundaktor' switches on 'somewhere' around 2500rpm with quite a drone tbh

Reactions: Daggerit

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Mike.46, DangerMouseUK and RSt3ve