90 Quattro (1988) rear dampnes

tz1_1zt

Reaction score
Website
www.djmorgan.org.uk
Hello. First post, forum looks great.

My 90 quattro needs new rear shocks, but the Haynes book gives no info on removing them.
All it shows is the 80's non-independent suspension.

I would be interested to hear from anybody that has done it themselves. How easy is it, are there any difficult bolts, can things go very wrong if the suspension arms are allowed to drop too far?

Aside. The ****** heater blower. Absolutely nothing like the one fitted to the 80, or shown in the Haynes book. I can't get the fan out without removing ducting to the passenger side vent, and cant remove that without removing whole dash. It's driving me crazy with it's rattleing and churning. And only works at top speed.

Cheers for any helpful advice.
David

The Top speed thingy... maybe the resistor in the switch itself, a common fault on both 80s & 90s. try blagging a switch fae yer local scrappies then replace and see if it works at low speeds...

I recently removed the blower from a 90, should come out by twisting then pulling down.
I changed shocks on a quattro, 13 years ago though so can't remember much. I know the hubs are early Audi 100 items,
and the ball joints are the taper type. I guess if you pulled the wishbones down too far, you could damage the rubber bushes. Also my cv splines had been loctited, but I think this was dropped for 88> cars (mine was 87)