A £150 modification that transforms the car...

16Klappe

Man Boost!
Supporter
Reaction score
Serious post guys.

I buy things for the car, I fit them, I say they're great and that's that. They are usually small things which add the the package and almost seamlessly just make the car nicer in a few situations.

Recently I have done some modifications to the car which have altered the way it feels entirely, biggest of which is the seats and harnesses. Obviously that isn't for everyone, so I haven't made a huge deal about how much I love the way they have transformed the car, because that's totally my own opinion and can't be shared across the board.

Today's modification however, oh my.

So the other day that Cookbots bloke posted up a thread about his parts, said they were great and blah blah blah.

I warned him that he wasn't a sponsor, the thread would be removed and that was about it.

Thread got removed, nobody other than me commented. No harm done.

I thought to myself, "sod it. I'm ordering a set, and I'll have the caster corrective bushes to go with them."

I can't stress enough here, no deal was done, no promise to write up reviews or discounts for saying anything about my thoughts. I bought them straight off the blokes website and paid in full.

What they are is a sleeve which reduces the 45mm rubber lower arm bushing to a 30mm polyurethane bushing or the factory bushing, through means of a CNC'd metal sleeve -

Like so

arms1.jpg

Originally TT's and the like came with a 30mm bushing.

But after numerous motoring journalists crashed their TT's and complained that the steering was too direct and responsive VAG changed the design to allow a softer and more forgiving steering wheel which leaned much more towards inducing understeer at a lower speed before grip levels were exceeded with the 30mm bushings. The standard geometry is apparently very good in terms of where things are, it's just the bushings and play VAG introduced to give the luxury feel which seem to let it down.

Post came today...

10257383_1552451928303316_8447590516982912309_o.jpg

I was so excited to open them!

I'm not going to bang on about the quality of them or the aesthetics, because nobody gives a **** and they're going to end up pressed into a cavity nobody is ever going to look at.

What a pig to fit though.

Removing the lower arms, 20 minutes.

10668829_1552595988288910_2787960614158990765_o.jpg

Notice the new DS3000's in the callipers from Bill. Fantastic price, quick delivery and awesome pads.

Pressing out the old bushes....Got the oxy out in the end. Refinishing the arms and deburring them, pressing the new bushes in and fitting up the new ball joints took about two hours in all fairness. Removing the old 45mm bush these "cookbot" sleeves replace was a ******* nightmare.

These ones -

10688213_1552595994955576_4369020995252390894_o.jpg

Notice the splits, cracks and rubbisness of the old bushes.

1782570_1552596001622242_1103488382241826974_o.jpg

10271305_1552596004955575_1401562184137759627_o.jpg

When I ordered these I also ordered a Superpro caster adjustment bush.

10655341_1552595984955577_3323273152631747524_o.jpg

At this point, before I tell everybody how fantastic these are I would just like to pass a comment. Mainly because this guy has already been shut down once, and had his thread deleted. He was also previously banned from Audi-Sport for reasons I don't know...

We're allowed to wax lyrical about Defcons, and we're allowed to suggest people go and buy 034 subframe bushes. And they're not sponsors.

Before I wrote this I checked every single forum sponsors online shop and not one of them sell a bush like this for the lower arms. So I don't think this is treading on anyone's toes.

Seriously amazing bit of kit!

The turn in and increased camber during cornering is truly transformational, the car now feels as I would expect Audi to have made an S car to handle.

The front now turns quicker than the back, and the feedback through the wheel is great. You can feel the road changes, and you can feel the limits between grip and understeer much clearer.

It's rare that a modification changes the way a car feels, and it's rare that something like is simply a £150 and a couple of hours labour.

I haven't dropped any links or anything stupid like that, you're still going to have to search for them. But compared to the price of Defcons these things are REALLY good.

I also know lots of other people run these sorts of bushes and increased caster setups, but I've not seen a proper review and post like this saying how good they really are.

I cannot wait to really get to grips with the new limits of the car on track on Monday :)

Reactions: scotty_24, Alex C, s3james and 2 others
cool, so even with an uprated rear bar which to some extent neutralises the understeer these Cookbot bushes don't push it too far into the oversteeer territory

Absolutely not, it feels fantastic.

Admittedly my suspension setup isn't the average Joe's but as a daily driver I can't see these causing any unpleasant side effects.

Reactions: Alex C
what alignment settings did you go for jardo? You got a print of the settings.
it will put this mod and your other chassis mods into a bit more context.

Replacing all the bushes should just be a standard thing to do when the cars are getting to this age. Also makes sense to upgrade while you're there. Solid Tyrol mounts next? Solid rack mount too ;-) I've not had any negative effects from the rose jointed control arms yet...

Forgive me as I know very little about suspension.

I have recently ordered a Superpro F&R Suspension bush kit (alignment adjustment) - http://www.awesomegti.com/car/audi/...t-alignment-adjustment-kit-s3-quattro-8l-1999
and some AP coilovers.

The bushing you are talking about now, would it be included in my bush kit, or would it replace one of the items I have ordered in the bush kit?

I am very slowly gaining knowledge regarding suspension, and I want to improve the handling of my car which at the moment is pretty average. I'm hoping these new bushes will freshen it up!

Popular mod with the TT / S3 although I never did it to mine.

Google " DEFCON Bushes " which replicate Mk1 TT early wishbone bushes.

I did have an R32 ARB front and rear that stiffened things up.

Looks like i'll be getting some LCR wishbones off of Mr Rainbird for my A3, so would be rude not to get the caster bush kit. Would you recommend the Superpro kit over the whiteline bushes?

Front camber was -1.3 which is the maximum without top plates or ball joint adjustment.

Toe is parallel.

So nothing special alignment wise.

Jardo, Did you ever get an LSD for the 02M??

I've never wanted a limited slip diff for an 02M? Have you confused me with Prawn?

-

I've had about 6 PMs today asking me what my suspension setup is.

It is...

HR Monotube coilovers.
R32 roll bars and polyeurethane roll bar bushes in the front.
Rear arms are S3 Dave adjustable a with polybushes.
Front lower arms obviously have the aforementioned Cookbot sleeves and Superpro caster bushes.
The ball joints are new OEM.

And arrived but not fitted are Silver Project adjustable top mounts.

Probably most importantly my car is 100kg's lighter than a standard S3 and has 225/45/18 Nankang NS2r's on it.

Reactions: superkarl
Some early s3's have this early type of wishbone bush. I booked mine in fir the defcon bushes only to be told that they already had the early tt wishbones

I've never wanted a limited slip diff for an 02M? Have you confused me with Prawn?

-

Nope, you've got:
semi competition tyres NS2-R's
Bucket seats and harnesses
Polybushes
Pimp H&R coilovers
Silver project Adjustable top mounts

Whether it was intentional or not it sounds like the car is turning into a track car, lol, and an LSD is the natural progression.....

Reactions: 16Klappe and Prawn
I doubt I will be any time soon, I'm not finding front end grip an issue on the road at all. But we'll see wha happens at Donnigton on Monday.

Also.

When you take a gearbox apart, it just becomes another thing to go wrong.

Just found this old thread by chance - thanks for the gleaming review and glad you're happy with everything.

Paul

hi, i know old article but ... trying to read the whole article but afraid can't see all photos

hi, i know old article but ... trying to read the whole article but afraid can't see all photos
Not much can be done about that as they are mostly externally hosted on places like photobucket etc so broken links are to be expected as accounts expire

<tuffty/>

And look what I have for my S3! :)

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 1,126
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 831
Reactions: s3gazz, desertstorm, Vex182 and 1 other person
Have you fitted these yet? I have the front ones on order and purchased the Meyle HD rear bushes to fit possibly this weekend.
Lol, I tried to but failed on my drive! Hopefully taking the car off the road over winter for some minor tweaks to be ready for a track session in 2019... at least that’s the plan.

Caster correction bushes increase the amount of castor on the front suspension. The more caster you have the more camber gain you get when turning the wheels. So more caster gives you more dynamic camber gain and hence improved turn in.

Reactions: s3gazz
I’m going to be doing all my suspension while the car is in bits I have a press on hand also to help.

I will be using the car for daily use around town mainly and A roads to my caravan on the coast.

Anyone recommend a set up to replace all my standard bushes all round been looking at superpro and power flex, power flex don’t have the kit I want and superpro shore there like £600 that’s putting me off. Is there a better way to do this bushes to prioritise with and some I can go back OEM that make no difference really. looking forward to been back in the tuning game.

Thanks gaz

Reactions: voorhees