B7 A/C Condenser Leaking!!

V8Guzzler

Reaction score
So only a couple of days of ownership and my first problem...

The a/c stopped working, (ie, the ECON light wouldnt go out), so I immediately thought must need re-charging. Took it to my friendly mechanic for a top up... As we pressurised the system, you could hear the gas escaping out the condenser at the front..
I have seen an a/c repair kit on the Halfords website for £20,

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-tr...superseal-air-conditioning-leak-sealant-mrl-3

is this any good, or should I just bite the bullet and replace the condenser unit (which will involve removing the front end!)
With that in mind, can someone confirm if this is the correct part?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEAT-EXEO...Air-Condenser-Air-Conditioning-/291406615540?

Cheers

Was this a private sale or trader, if a trader I would take it back if not you have nothing to loose on the sealant option.

Its was from the trade, so I have contacted them to ask if they would be prepared to help with contributing towards the fix! - I await.... May give the sealant a go for now, just not sure how big the hole is

I would not do anything till you hear from them or you might void any warranty. The fact the car is two days old it should be down to them.

Reactions: V8Guzzler
The trader, has said I have to go through the warranty they gave me... But reading what is covered it appears the condenser isn't!

Luckily, they are only about £80, and not a huge job... hour max... one for my mechanic then!

Well, Ive asked them to pay 50% of the bill, thats the least they can do I think, or I will report them to trading standards...

Sorted at last..
I ordered the part online, cost £93.25.. I said to the dealer pay this and we will call it quits.. Ok he says..
Get car in to do the work, remove all the necessary only to find it's the wrong part. Took it back, they checked and adamant that it was correct! Transpires was an clerical error and the part number was incorrectly cross referenced. The upshot, they don't sell them...
So called TPS, gave them reg number, yes got one on the shelf that'll be £218... Well ok, got no choice seeing as the car is in bits... 3 hours later it arrived .... Guess what ... Yep wrong part, this one was for a TT... Back on the phone, I was told I gave them the wrong reg! Anyway, 3rd time lucky, right yeah can get you one in 24 hours, but this one is £280!! Fine, just do it ...

So all in all what I thought was gonna be a £200 job, ended up a £370 job...
But hey, I've now got ice cold air con ...

I'd recommend anyone with a 2013> Audi A3 to protect their a/c condenser unit with a sheet of plastic mesh. Audi dealer took £970 to replace the unit, only to discover that the a/c pump had seized up. I was past the point of no return, so had to fork out an additonal £700.
The problem is, the grille design does not provide adequate protection from stones, which will simply puncture the a/c condenser. First chance I got, I bought a sheet of plastic mesh for a mere £10. I made a cardboard template, then cut the plastic to size & secured using black cable ties. This should prevent any future damage, and it looks quite nice behind the grille too.

Attachments

• 20211119_183735~2.jpg
    20211119_183735~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 209