A couple of tyre questions..

Bradks3

Reaction score
I'm changing my standard 18" wheels on my s3. I have gone for some 19" 8j wheels with a et46. So very close to the oem 19" wheels. My question is what would be the best tyres to fit 225/35/19 or 235/35/19. Looking at online tyre calculators I see the 225's give the nearest overall wheel diameter to my original 18's. However Audi fit 235/35/19 tyres to the larger wheels. Does anybody know the reason for this? Could the 235's offer a little more comfort or grip? Does anyone have an opinion on handling differences between the two?
I also want tyres with rim protection, but am struggling to identify online which tyres have it. I'm torn between Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2, Dunlop Sportmaxx RT and Michelin pilot Super sports. I know the dunlops have rim protection but do the others? Does anyone have experience with any of them? Thanks, I'm getting black circles around my eyes, trying to decide what to go for

RT do , the King of rim protection would be the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 .

IMG_1705_zpsab079377.jpg

I'm in the same position as you mate.

I'm gonna go for the 235s as the ride should be a little more forgiving with them. There's also the chance that the 225s won't offer quite as much traction.

I really don't see how much rim protection a tyre can really provide, so I'm gonna go with the Michelin PSSs.

Can highly recommend the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, fitted these to my last car (Evo X) after some research, and they were absolutely brilliant, quiet, good handling wet or dry and wore well. Will fit to mine once the current Conti's wear out.

Kind of on this subject.... i've always gone for the principle of changing both tyres on each axle at the same time, so if i wanted to change from Conti's to F1's then i'd do so an axle at a time, but I read recently that for an AWD car you should have both axle's running exactly the same tyre type/tread. Anyone know anything about this? One to bear in mind if it is true as don't want to experience issues with the AWD system only for Audi to refuse under warranty as i've not kept to this 'rule'?

No need for A3/S3, it's not proper quattro.
Haldex is part time AWD so put the new/better tyres on the rear axle.

No need for A3/S3, it's not proper quattro.
Haldex is part time AWD so put the new/better tyres on the rear axle.

I actually read it referring to xdrive and i needed to replace the front tyres. No option to swap the old and new ones and front and rear tyres are different widths.