a few electrical issues?

nick_1973

Reaction score
hi all
help needed please with a few things, firstly my front drivers side main headlight bulb has been a bit hit and miss when i turn the lights on, sometimes it comes on sometimes it dont.
mechanic changed bulb - even though i didnt think it was the bulb, and it was still the same.
now the past week it does not come on at all.
any ideas what this could be please?
next is that the rear interior light also comes on sometimes, sometimes doesnt. also only just started doing this.
and finally the central locking switch on the drivers door has stopped working!
any help much appreciated

The headlight sounds like the ballast to me instead of the bulb (that’s the metal block attached to the headlamp unit with wires). You can’t buy them individually. Mine also started doing this so I had some new OEM+ custom headlights made by Trupesh at EM Tuning for around £500 with some new ballasts and headlamp levelling motors. They look totally OEM/standard but light output is phenomenal compared to the original units. He uses third party halogen headlight housings, replaces the projectors and bulbs with Morimoto examples and re-seals the headlamp. You can’t buy genuine Hella xenon headlamps from Audi anymore.

I can’t really help with the rear interior-light or the door lock switch from the driver door card. I’d remove the door card if I were you and check the plug is attached firmly and then test the switches for continuity. The door cards are really quite easy to remove so don’t be frightened. There’s no dodgy single-use clips thankfully! If that fails you’re probably into checking the wiring assuming the normal central locking still works. I had some wires corrode for the rear boot lock touchpad. Had to rewire it in the end but hopefully yours is more straight forward.

Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: Sandra and nick_1973
hi thanks for the reply, it is the ballasts apparently.
have you got contact info for the chap who made yours please?
regards
nick

It was Trupesh at EM tuning who did mine and several other members. My headlights were made in Winter 2017 and still work/look great. Trupesh even fitted them to the vehicle for me in his workshop and put matching LED white light bulbs in the sidelights and fog lights, and also clear indicator bulbs in the headlights so they don’t look so “orange”.

Trupesh: sales@emtuning.co.uk

Attached a photo of what they look like just so you get an idea. Light output is better than the LED headlights on my new shape Audi S3.

img

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra, nick_1973 and hydro s3
Q What was the wattage of the H1 Lamps , 35 watts ? or 55 Watts
one of mine has just popped
I think 35 watts ?

Tnx-Graham