John_Tuohy

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a cracking forum and I could sit all day enjoying the work done. You guys really know your stuff so any help or comments much appreciated !!!

I have a much loved 2008 140BHP A4 2.0TDi S-line that is facing a complete engine rebuild.
This is personal, so financial common sense is going to be a bit flexible.

I am going to a recommended builder but get the feeling that the he is trying to steer me to use standard kits or a pre "reconditioned" engine. However I want a custom rebuilt engine that can be trusted for the rest of the car life and, hoping to get an extra 60-80 BHP out of it with options for future tweaking.

After a good read of these threads, I cobbled a wish list and am hoping to get your advice on if it is realistic and what are the best brands.

POWER LIMIT
  • What is the reasonable power limit on FWD traction?
  • I am looking at 200-220 BHP initially if possible.

CLUTCH
  • Clutch/flywheel to match (solid or DMF?)
  • Is Sachs any good or worth it?

TURBO
  • Instead of the 140 turbo, upgrade to a 170+ turbo
  • What are good turbos for 200-220 bhp?
  • What about the GTB2056VK (less laggy than GTB2260VK)?

INJECTORS
  • Instead of the Bosch 140 injectors, upgrade to 170+
  • What are good injectors for 200-220 bhp?

PREPARATION
  • Skim head/block
  • Hone cylinder. Is this required?

GASKETS
  • MLS head gasket (Victor Rienz or Erling?)
  • What are good gaskets for 200-220 bhp?

BOLTS
  • ARP mains studs. Are they good?
  • Good Head bolts. What are the best for 220 bhp?

RINGS/BEARINGS
  • Piston rings and pins (are oversize pistons required?). I don't want to go crazy with Mahles. Will Standard pistons/rods do for 220 bhp?
  • Big end shells
  • Mains shells
  • Are any other bearings required?

OIL
  • Proven oil pump and ancillaries (remembering the balancer issue)
  • Oil squirters and ancillaries
  • Front and rear crank seals

HEAD
  • Valves, guides and seals and cutting in.
  • Lifters etc. Do these need to be upgraded?

OTHER KITS
  • Timing belt kit
  • Water pump and ancillaries (metal impeller e.g. kolbenshmidt one from vwspares)

The budget is €5-6 k. Not sure what quality of a B8 that will get and what engine problems will be inherited.

You have a point and I thought on that hard. The builder is reputable. A second hand engine is a game of chance.
Bottom line, it's going to be a rebuild.

If you wanted more power too a 3.0 tdi quattro B8 would give you a ' white Christmas '.

It depends on your power limit, and the stock turbo is only reckoned to deliver up to 180bhp. You would need the bigger turbo and injectors to go more.
But the smaller turbo is far more responsive than the larger, and it's said that a re-mapped BRE is better than a stock BRD.

Reactions: tr7
It depends on your power limit, and the stock turbo is only reckoned to deliver up to 180bhp. You would need the bigger turbo and injectors to go more.
But the smaller turbo is far more responsive than the larger, and it's said that a re-mapped BRE is better than a stock BRD.

There are two points are against using the stock BRE turbo: it is limited to 180 BHP and can fail if the oil isn't perfect.
Granted, the stock BRD turbo is more laggy, but I was hoping to use the GTB2056VK instead of the GTB2260VK.

Last edited:
As for fwd traction 220hp literally is next to no issue and not worth talking about tbh, if you start pushing 300 and above then invest in good suspension, ps4's and a good remap possibly even add boost by gear, but for what your wanting power wise your be more than fine.

Reactions: John_Tuohy