A lesson in engine mounts / advise please

Rob C

Audi Owner
Reaction score
After going stage 1 at R-Tech yesterday my car appears to be a bit jerky when coming on and off the throttle. They said this was due the the engine mounts as the car has done 115k now.

So I'm just after some advise with regards to replacing them with oem or uprated items etc?

I had a little look online at uprated items, superpro and powerflex... I'm guessing these replace the bushes in the oem metal mounts?

Are there any downsides to uprated mounts like vibrations etc?

Do uprated mounts come in different strength ratings? E.g. some more rigid than others?

Any help on this would be great as its all foreign to me!

There are basically 3 choices...

Stock mounts,which are compliant,and good at isolating vibration,but softer,and therefore more prone to flex under load,and will wear out more rapidly.

Uprated or so-called "fast road" mounts,which generally use far stiffer bushings and will transmit more thrash but are much better at coping with extra loads from a remapped engine.

Rigid,or race mounts.....these are usually non-compliant,metal mounts,and for most people will be far too harsh for daily use.

I've got a set of VWR fast road mounts in mine,which as far as I know are made by Vibratechnics and are fine for daily use.
There are plenty of alternatives now,from Revo etc,that will do exactly the same job,just as well,and for a remapped engine,I'd definitely recommend something like that.

I'm in the same position here, am I going to cause any damage if I keep on using the car?

Anyone able to rate the harshness of the uprated mounts from the various after market suppliers? Not interested in those designed for track cars.

I had Revo engine mounts in my S3 and I thought they were brilliant - engine noise changed and felt a lot more secure changing gear and putting the power back on

Something I haven't considered yet in my 8V but never say never

Thanks for the replies.

Am I right in thinking there are 3 engine mounts (transmission, engine and dogbone?)

And do people upgrade all of them?

Also do people have any links to sites selling them because if I'm honest I don't really know what I'm looking for and I don't want to buy the wrong things.

I'm veering towards the 034motorsport versions ... some good reviews stateside with little additional cabin noise.

I've ordered genuine replacement mounts along with a Powerflex dogbone mount insert. I will see how I get on with that for now.

How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking ?

IMO, the reason to put in the aftermarket mounts and not the OEM mounts is to apply more HP to the ground. The engine movement in reduced markedly with upgraded mounts. I don't have any additional NVH with my mounts and I have the 034 strut mounts, subframe bolts and the lot on my car. I would return the OEM and get the aftermarkets. VF engineering, VWR, 034, act are pretty much the same. For your location, I would go with VWR and call it a day. The issue with NVH is the install and if you have a bloke install them.

before you buy the whole lot, try just the "dogbone" and see if you feel a difference and if the jerkiness goes away. If so then don't bother with the motor and tranny mount. If you still have the same feeling then buy the other two. Modifications are trial and error so save some money and try small changes first.

before you buy the whole lot, try just the "dogbone" and see if you feel a difference and if the jerkiness goes away. If so then don't bother with the motor and tranny mount. If you still have the same feeling then buy the other two. Modifications are trial and error so save some money and try small changes first.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I will go with the new OEM mounts with the Powerflex dogbone insert to begin with and see how I get on. If that doesn't work I will then look at more uprated items when funds allow.

How did you get on with the changes?
Have you needed to change the OEM mounts too or are you happy with just the updated doggone mount?

I replaced all my engine mounts with direct OEM replacements + Powerflex dogbone insert, it appears to have solved my issues.

Reactions: S.
Just to add, powerlex does now inserts for oem engine mounts. Road and track use. It might be ideal for someone who doesn't want or doesn't have a need for full mounts. Cheap solution and in my first 200km's they don't feel bad at all regarding NVH. The car seems to put more power down and easier and the gear changes are improved a lot.

Just a heads-up there are 2 slightly different oem engine side mount shapes. So before getting them check you have the right shape of the mount (mine wasn't).
Can't find some pictures on internet to show the difference).

Reactions: HHS3
And there's 2 different dog mount inserts too, for pre and facelift cars I believe. I tried a soft (for tdi's) powerflex one in mine and I noticed a small but annoying vibration on tickover, so I went back to oem.

Reactions: S.