A quick poll: matrix headlights

Is your 8Y A3/S3 fitted with Matrix Headlights?

• Yes, fitted as standard.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Yes, fitted as an option.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AdamInKent

Reaction score
Hi all.
Now that Audi have removed the option of matrix lights from the low-mid spec trims of the A3/S3, it’d be interesting to know how popular they have been as an option. If you own an 8Y A3 or S3, please let us know whether you have matrix headlights fitted to your car either as a standard fit on your trim, or as an optional extra.

Reactions: NIKLDN and Q5 TRS
Hi all.
Now that Audi have removed the option of matrix lights from the low-mid spec trims of the A3/S3, it’d be interesting to know how popular they have been as an option. If you own an 8Y A3 or S3, please let us know whether you have matrix headlights fitted to your car either as a standard part of the tim, or as an optional extra.

Was just thinking of starting this. beat me to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AdamInKent
It’s something that I wanted on my S3 but there are very few used cars that have this option when I was searching for mine, I’m guessing the charge for this would have meant only a die hard enthusiast would choose this option.

Optioned on my S3 - £430 - I really like them not that I've taken the car out much lately especially at night.

Poor decision by Audi unless like I said earlier they are going to fit this headlight to all cars going forward and charge you to switch them on via Functions on Demand but low uptake seems like probably not.

Lots of changes to all Models not just the A3 apparently and Matrix is being removed from a few models by the sound of things

I had high beam assist fitted to my previous Mercedes and found myself watching it to make sure it was dipping when other traffic was around
I wonder if I would have monitored the Matrix headlamps had I had them

I can't believe they pulled it as an option... glad I read this as my next video references it!

Definitely a worthwhile option

Hmm - my order for a Sport has Matrix LEDs as an option, so I wonder whether I'll see these on the car (currently build week 36). It's obviously a lower cost to me without, but equally I was looking forward to having them on the car and it makes the S Line spec with its better front and rear lights more attractive.

I spoke to my dealer this morning after raising this on a number of threads here. They seem to suggest the car will be built as ordered. I have also tried asking for some information from Audi UK via twitter to understand why the option has been removed and what happens if the order was placed well before the option was removed. Lets see.

Reactions: NIKLDN and AdamInKent
I bought an ex-demo and they were fitted as standard to that. Weirdly I've also got heated seats but none of the rest of the C&S pack.

Spoke to the dealer I had an enquiry in with about an S3. He confirmed the matrix Headlights option has been removed from their internal ordering system too. Looking like a Golf R for me. Several options I want aren’t available unless I get the Vorsprung trim, which I’m not prepared to pay the premium for.

Ummed and ahhed over them for quite a while, In the end I couldn't justify the upgrade when the standard LED's are excellent as they are. I think that's the root cause of the low uptake, the standard option is already pretty good. I do like the lock/unlock animation of the Matrix lights though!

Reactions: DreamInCode
I contacted audi uk on twitter to try and find out why they have removed the option of the Matrix Headlights from lower trims. They were not really helpful and recommended I speak to my audi dealer. Spoke to my audi dealer and they did not even know until I told them. I asked them whether my order placed in January would be honoured and they said it as far as they are concerned it will be built as ordered. Let us wait and see. I am of the view the option has been removed to allow higher trims to be ordered.

I contacted audi uk on twitter to try and find out why they have removed the option of the Matrix Headlights from lower trims. They were not really helpful and recommended I speak to my audi dealer. Spoke to my audi dealer and they did not even know until I told them. I asked them whether my order placed in January would be honoured and they said it as far as they are concerned it will be built as ordered. Let us wait and see. I am of the view the option has been removed to allow higher trims to be ordered.

It's not available on the S3 anymore either - Edition 1, Vorsprung and S3 Vorsprung only and standard on all of these - Strange decision especially the S3 as it's only £430 upgrade and should be fitted standard anyway - 1.5 Edition 1 has them as standard, then surely a £40,000 S3 should have them

Will be interesting as others have said if they fit the matrix LEDs but deactivate the function and use as standard led headlights.
I’ve always thought that when he announced this for the mk8 golf that they’re building expensive cars on the off chance people will later pay the cost to activate technologies like traffic sign recognition and matrix etc.

Not cost effective in my opinion especially when manufacturers are cutting costs on materials and normalising “S” badges instead of “S3” etc.

Will be interesting as others have said if they fit the matrix LEDs but deactivate the function and use as standard led headlights.
I’ve always thought that when he announced this for the mk8 golf that they’re building expensive cars on the off chance people will later pay the cost to activate technologies like traffic sign recognition and matrix etc.

Not cost effective in my opinion especially when manufacturers are cutting costs on materials and normalising “S” badges instead of “S3” etc.

I totally agree, my S3 standard equipment states Prep Camera for Dynamic Traffic Display with Functions on Demand - So I don't have the speed limit showing on the sat nav which was just a basic thing - All A3/S3's have the camera for Pre-sense and Lane Assist so Audi never intended to give the speed limit display despite the manual stating you have it if you don't have the full traffic sign recognition - When I contacted Audi Digital they say my car has the Camera for Traffic Sign but software might not be installed.

They will do more Functions on Demand stuff because lease companies don't like paying for it, but when they come to sell the car on - Audi can switch things on as an incentive or to increase the second hand price.

Very underhand Audi are becoming - I would prefer some honesty upfront but they aren't going to do that

My A3 Sport, won't even have the full LED headlights up front and only puny halogens in the rear! Just the basic reflector LEDs headlights as oppose to the projector ones.

My dealer says that the Matrix LEDs ordered for my Sport should be safe because a build week has been allocated. For better or worse, it'll probably be the only one of its type with these fitted now!

Reactions: AdamInKent and sush
My A3 Sport, won't even have the full LED headlights up front and only puny halogens in the rear! Just the basic reflector LEDs headlights as oppose to the projector ones.
That’s pretty poor. Looking at the bullet-point ‘feature lists’ on the Trim page on the configurator, you’d assume that the front headlights on the lower trim levels (Technik, Sport, S-line) were the same. It’s only when you dig further (full standard equipment lists) that you realise it’s only the S-line trim that gets what you'd expect of modern LED headlights (dynamic headlight adjustment, ‘motorway mode’, etc). I had a quick look at the Golf 8 and the lower trim levels seem to do a bit better as far as LED lights are concerned. And everything above the R-line (GTI, GTE, GTD, R) gets ‘IQ-Light' matrix headlights as standard. It’s certainly a bit bizarre that matrix headlights are standard on the A3 Edition 1, but not on the S3. I see (‘pics’ thread, today) that at least they came as ordered (i.e. before Audi pulled them) on Adam’s S-line A3.