A rotten old bit of luck.

DommyR

Reaction score
Driving to work yesterday morning and heard a small bang. A stone had flicked up and hit my screen causing a small chip, no problem as it was probably the same size as a 5 pence piece.

So I call auto glass and get an appointment at a local branch (as there was no call out guys available today), Which is no problem as I don't mind a drive. When I get there they apologised that I had been booked in (4pm today) as there was no one available to do it and they were then about to shut. After a couple of phone calls the lady said she will send someone out to me on their way home. A bit annoying as I had wasted 2 hours but at least they had come up with a resolution.
So on the drive home without warning. THE CHIP TURNS INTO A CRACK :mad::mad::mad new::mad new::scared2::scared2:.

Oh well, if my only problem in life is a cracked screen on my S3 then I guess its pretty good. Annoying though.

Happy Easter

Reactions: batch, kanecullen89 and elpaulio
Sellotape is the answer, put it on the crack and it will stop it from running! I kid you not :) Years back I was on the wagons and had a chip/crack in the screen, I put some tape over it and it didn't move...once the tape came off the crack ran like someone was drawing it across...very strange to see.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and elpaulio
Why didn't you tell me this yesterday morning? :p:p:p

Have requested OE glass from auto glass who need to speak to my insurers but they didn't seem to think it would be a problem as the car is 24 days old....

Was unlucky enough myself to have this happen, 6 days after picking the car up, 98 miles on the clock!! Had a small chip from a stone when I was on the motorway, pulled in accros the lanes to take the next exit to inspect it and as I went over the white lines and cats eyes, it suddenly expanded into a crack over an inch in length. Had a whole screen replacement the same day, the guys at the Autoglass shop were amused by the fact the car hadn't even done 100 miles yet!

Why didn't you tell me this yesterday morning? :p:p:p

OK another tip...don't use a scraper when your screen is frozen...I did and there was some grit on the glass, it got trapped between the glass and scraper and scratched the glass...new windscreen required before I gave the car back (company car). Since then I just use http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/prestone-de-icer-571143 or if you are a member of Costco they do 6 cans for around £8. It's great stuff, doesn't freeze again like others do.

The week after I bought my last A3 in 2010 I went up to see a mate in the northeast. A farm vehicle passed in he opposite direction and a stone fell of it putting a 2" scrape down my wing.

"Luckily" they had seen a chip in m paintwork under the protective packaging so my car was booked back in the week later to have that repaired so they gave me a cheaper deal on the new damage.

OK another tip...don't use a scraper when your screen is frozen...I did and there was some grit on the glass, it got trapped between the glass and scraper and scratched the glass...new windscreen required before I gave the car back (company car). Since then I just use http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/prestone-de-icer-571143 or if you are a member of Costco they do 6 cans for around £8. It's great stuff, doesn't freeze again like others do.

Yes I try not to scrape screens to protect from scratching.

I used to adopt the policy of starting my car and then going back inside to finish my coffee...

Until I realised that someone could jump in it and drive off and it wouldn't be insured.

luke warm water, instant, never fails :)

Reactions: elpaulio
Where do you find lukewarm deicer or water when you're in a parking lot away from home? I think some scraping is unavoidable, but agree it should be minimized (sorry, "minimised" ;-)

Well, SWMBO works nights from time to time and goes prepared with an empty plastic bottle, fills it before she leaves and that solves that. Obviously if it's at home then it goes without saying. Caught out in the middle of no where, I know a supply of warm liquid, but don't fancy standing on the bonnet.

Reactions: elpaulio, DommyR and Wondering Soul
Where do you find lukewarm deicer or water when you're in a parking lot away from home? I think some scraping is unavoidable, but agree it should be minimized (sorry, "minimised" ;-)

what, 10 mins of running the car to defrost gonna break your appointment filofax?

Never scraped, never will, absolutely NO need.

Reactions: DommyR
Joking aside monopole, your absolutely right. Just make sure your full windscreen is clear before you set off. Our local Police are on Facebook and the other day sent a reminder to clear the full screen or face a fine. One my neighbours set off the other day with just his steering wheel visable, idiot ! Always allow an extra ten minutes, too many people in too much of a rush.

what, 10 mins of running the car to defrost gonna break your appointment filofax?

Never scraped, never will, absolutely NO need.

Side windows? I like to see what's beside me. Where I live you'd need more like 45 minutes of defrost to clear ALL the windows. I don't like to idle the car for more than a minute or two before setting off slowly to get the whole drivetrain up to operating temperature. So I scrape. Don't recall ever scratching the glass. Pointless to worry about since eventually it gets sand blasted by flying grit anyway. Or stone chipped, to return to the OP's topic :)

Who still uses a Filofax?

Reactions: DommyR and WeeDram
Who still uses a Filofax?

My dad makes a point of buying a new one every year... but anyway.

Just had my screen replaced by Autoglass, an excellent job done by a nice fella.

One thing though, I had requested OEM glass, which was AGC but the new glass is Pilkington but it doesn't have the 4 rings.

Is this not OEM glass? Not to bothered either way as the rest of the glass is pilkington.