A1/S1 8X - Audi Sound System Retrofit

Phazer

Reaction score
Hi,

Long time lurker but signed up as I now have some time to get back into modifying. I'm looking to retrofit the Audi Sound System to my MY18 S1. Not into doing the Bose stuff, just want to enable the sub etc as I have other plans later ;)

I have the RMS Nav Plus headunit and understand it needs to be re-parameterised with VCP (which I'll do when it arrives) but I presume it will need re-coding as well? VCDS doesn't have a label file for this unit so does anyone have the correct long coding for this or know which bits need changing and to what please?

Thanks for any help.

Anyone?

Just the long coding from a 3 door with the same headunit and A.S.S would do.

Applied the re-parameterisation with VCP today...and it works. I have the sub woofer menu and the car is reporting faults for missing centre speaker and subwoofer as they've not been installed yet. Swapped out the front speakers and it's noticeably better already.

Interestingly, the long coding in module 5F is identical to before. Doesn't seem right as you have to change coding on the A3's system, but it is working.

Annoyingly after completing the wiring today, the sub and centre speaker don't do anything! So, looks like I was right in the first place, it does need coding :(

Using VCDS output tests confirms the added speakers are working. All errors from the speakers not being fitted after re-parameterisation clear successfully.

@DJAlix Don't suppose you could help out here please? Any ideas? Thanks

Annoyingly after completing the wiring today, the sub and centre speaker don't do anything! So, looks like I was right in the first place, it does need coding :(

Using VCDS output tests confirms the added speakers are working. All errors from the speakers not being fitted after re-parameterisation clear successfully.

@DJAlix Don't suppose you could help out here please? Any ideas? Thanks
Post your 5F long coding please.

Post your 5F long coding please.

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels: None
Part No SW: 8XA 035 192 F HW: 8XA 035 192 A
Component: RMC Nav Plus H62 0186
Coding: 0101000200C053470023020103010000000000
Shop #: WSC 00046 000 00000
VCID: 4BC3670D13C6853F6C7-801E
Subsystem 1 - Part No: 8X0 919 884 L
Component: P41-50-17.03 0001
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 8X0 919 603 B HW: 8X0 919 603 B
Component: DU6 Basic H43 0084
Serial number: xxxxxxx
No fault code found.

Looking at the logs for the last S1 I did the following was changed:

Byte 04 from A8 to E8
Byte 05 from 05 to 33

You should be able to reverse engineering this with VCDS. My logs also show the following was changed but I cannot think of why off the top of my head:

Byte 15 from 4C to CC
Byte 16 from 53 to 57

Byte 04 from A8 to E8
Byte 05 from 05 to 33

You should be able to reverse engineering this with VCDS. My logs also show the following was changed but I cannot think of why off the top of my head:

Byte 15 from 4C to CC
Byte 16 from 53 to 57

Thanks for helping.

None of those code changes were accepted. The from values also don't relate to mine or any of the A1 long codings I've managed to find.

I have a Q3 long coding that has Bose and that does trigger the DSP and other errors as expected. I don't appear to have any that have the A.S.S.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for helping.

None of those code changes were accepted. The from values also don't relate to mine or any of the A1 long codings I've managed to find.

I have a Q3 long coding that has Bose and that does trigger the DSP and other errors as expected. I don't appear to have any that have the A.S.S.

Any other ideas?
Which version of VCDS do you have and which interface type?

Can you post screenshots of 5F long coding, experimental, bytes 04 to 07 please

Here's the screen grabs. VCDS has no label file for this unit (I have sent them a channel map). You just get an error when using the helper:

Upload 2020 3 29 17 49 59

Upload 2020 3 29 17 50 25

Upload 2020 3 29 17 50 35

Upload 2020 3 29 17 50 50

Upload 2020 3 29 17 51 4

Damn, was hoping there might be a little development / raw information in there. Try this, back up your coding and then make the following changes:

Byte 04 = FF
Byte 05 = 0A

If this does not work then add:

Byte 06 = 00
Byte 07 = 00

You said that you have errors relating to the speakers after the parameter upload but you have not said if these errors have now been resolved with your wiring in the speakers. Regardless of if they are actually working or not have these errors been resolved?

Damn, was hoping there might be a little development / raw information in there. Try this, back up your coding and then make the following changes:

Byte 04 = FF
Byte 05 = 0A

If this does not work then add:

Byte 06 = 00
Byte 07 = 00

You said that you have errors relating to the speakers after the parameter upload but you have not said if these errors have now been resolved with your wiring in the speakers. Regardless of if they are actually working or not have these errors been resolved?

Yeah, they're a bit light on info for the Nav Plus!! I'm hoping they'll do the label file but not holding out much hope.

The speaker errors cleared once I'd connected them.

I've just been back out to tinker with VCP and got it working :)

The info I'd managed to find suggested only a speaker parameterisation (which works on the Q3 allegedly). I had to re-parameterise for internal amplifier as well. As soon as that was done it started working.

I also managed to find some long codes for A1s fitted with the A.S.S but it doesn't seem to matter - I'm currently back to my original coding and it's all working nicely. Upside is I now have some idea what the bytes/bits do. It would appear that coding *is* required for Bose.

thanks again for dipping in and having a look, much appreciated :icon thumright:

Reactions: DJAlix
I should probably add Byte 4 controls car type and Byte 5 is configurations data for some of the items available on the car menu, so interior lighting, drive select options and so on.

Byte 04 from A8 to E8
Byte 05 from 05 to 33

Byte 15 from 4C to CC
Byte 16 from 53 to 57
Interested in doing this on my s1, is this a service you are still offering?