A3 1.6 SE/ SPECIAL EDITION/ FSI ?

ARH

Reaction score
I currently have a Golf MK4 but I want to upgrade within the next month or two to a Audi A3 8P :D

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with them, and what are they like?

What engine/year do I avoid? (if any) as I was warned about avoiding the 03-05 bkd endines on the TDI A3's, so I am wondering if there are any 1.6's to avoid.

I have had a look at a couple on eBay but are they over priced?

2007 Audi A3 1.6 Special Edition 3dr 1595cc Petrol | eBay

2006 AUDI A3 AUDI A3 1.6 FSI SE 3dr Petrol | eBay

Any info would be great, Aaron!

1.6 isnt popular at all....

Whats the budget? 6.5k ish?

I can tell mate but insurance is too much for the 2.0 tdi that I really want so the 1.6 is my only option for a couple of years.

I have a budget of 6k, maybe a bit more if the car is right!

I had a 59 plate 1.6 that they called the Audi A3 Technik. The only good bits were the extras I spec'd. The engine was pretty poor but it served me well for a year.

In a nutshell, Any of the "TFSI" engines for this car are pretty good.

The older diesels suffer from turbo failures ALOT. 2004-07 ish.

Injector problems pretty much all round on the new/old diesels too. Which even the recalls, done by Audi, do not always fix.

Along with DPF problems too.....

All of which ££££ to fix.

The 2.0FSI, is fairly safe, but lacks punch.

I say, stick to a TFSI, pay a bit more, but youll fix it less.

They even do a 1.2TFSI for the A3, but....maybe a little underpowered, and ive only known one guy on this forum who had one as a courtesy car i think......

Have you looked at the 1.9tdi too?

Ye mate insurance was too much for that also

I had a 59 plate 1.6 that they called the Audi A3 Technik. The only good bits were the extras I spec'd. The engine was pretty poor but it served me well for a year.

Have seen the Technik but out of my budget range, I am currently looking at the 1.6 Special Edition, FSI Sport or FSI SE, which all seem to have good specs. These I really like..

2004/54 REG AUDI A3 1.6 FSI SPORT 3DR 2 OWNERS ONLY 60,000 MILES | eBay

2005 05 AUDI A3 1.6 FSI SE 3D 115 BHP | eBay

In a nutshell, Any of the "TFSI" engines for this car are pretty good.

The older diesels suffer from turbo failures ALOT. 2004-07 ish.

Injector problems pretty much all round on the new/old diesels too. Which even the recalls, done by Audi, do not always fix.

Along with DPF problems too.....

All of which ££££ to fix.

The 2.0FSI, is fairly safe, but lacks punch.

I say, stick to a TFSI, pay a bit more, but youll fix it less.

They even do a 1.2TFSI for the A3, but....maybe a little underpowered, and ive only known one guy on this forum who had one as a courtesy car i think......

Can't insure a 2.0 TFSI mate, well I could, but I don't fancy paying over 2.5k :think:

Out of your two choices the SE looks a better spec car, just check its an FSI as i think the basic 1.6 is very un-popular and under powered. Also i'd avoid the "special editions" as they are just poverty spec!

In my experience its worth waiting a bit longer until you can afford the car (engine + spec) you want, otherwise you'll be eyeing up all the Sports/S-Lines with the 2.0 engines and feeling hard done by.

Reactions: Zak0123
Got a 2011 1.6 TDI SE bud, slapped some S3 alloys and tints on the back and IMO it looks the part! Engine is as you would imagine (I'd love more power) but is perfect for me as it can easily reach 60+ mpg on my 40 mile commute to work. Not too shabby!

Out of your two choices the SE looks a better spec car, just check its an FSI as i think the basic 1.6 is very un-popular and under powered. Also i'd avoid the "special editions" as they are just poverty spec!

In my experience its worth waiting a bit longer until you can afford the car (engine + spec) you want, otherwise you'll be eyeing up all the Sports/S-Lines with the 2.0 engines and feeling hard done by.

Cheers for the info mate, I am growing to like the FSI SE but I would have to do something about the wood parts. Insurance would be a couple of hundred more than the Special Edition though, so I have to weigh up my options.

As for wanting the 2.0 S Line, that was my first choice, until my insurance told me it would cost me over a grand more than what I paid on my Golf 1.4 2 months ago which was 1078, so as for being 19 I reckon the 1.6 would suit me well for a couple of years, I would also have plans off adding leathers, ice, s line kit, and I would choose a low mileage a3, as I do about 5k a year, so hopefully when I re-sell it, I won't lose too much money on it.

Got a 2011 1.6 TDI SE bud, slapped some S3 alloys and tints on the back and IMO it looks the part! Engine is as you would imagine (I'd love more power) but is perfect for me as it can easily reach 60+ mpg on my 40 mile commute to work. Not too shabby!

The 1.6 FSI petrol has 113 BHP, which to a lot of people is nothing, but considering I'm 19 and have a Mk4 Golf 1.4 which is 75bhp, it would be a big difference to me, plus I'm not about speed, it's all about the looks for me, so definitely would be upgrading the alloys/interior etc :jump:

Cheers for the info mate, I am growing to like the FSI SE but I would have to do something about the wood parts. Insurance would be a couple of hundred more than the Special Edition though, so I have to weigh up my options.

As for wanting the 2.0 S Line, that was my first choice, until my insurance told me it would cost me over a grand more than what I paid on my Golf 1.4 2 months ago which was 1078, so as for being 19 I reckon the 1.6 would suit me well for a couple of years, I would also have plans off adding leathers, ice, s line kit, and I would choose a low mileage a3, as I do about 5k a year, so hopefully when I re-sell it, I won't lose too much money on it.

I agree with changing the wood trim, i did the same on my SE, got some piano black inserts off ebay for about £60 i think, completely changes the look of the interior!

id look for either an se or a sport with a few optional extras on it

I agree with changing the wood trim, i did the same on my SE, got some piano black inserts off ebay for about £60 i think, completely changes the look of the interior!

I would be doing the same mate, the wood trim just reminds me of something my Granddad would have, definitely not a good look. :no:

what about putting your family members on the insurance??

I've done all the tricks in the book mate lol, it's just my age and my location, insurance is not the cheapest but I will have to deal with it for a couple of years more.

id look for either an se or a sport with a few optional extras on it

That's what I've been looking at, there are loads of 1.6's out there to choose from! :)

Talking around £1400 here TPFT. But I got a quote for 1200 Fully Comp when my renewal is up come November. :respekt:

No matter how much you say you're not fussed about speed, if you get a 1.6, within a couple of months I bet you'll of wished you got a bigger engine.

I went from a 1.2 Clio to my 2.0FSI which is around 150bhp and I wished I'd of held out a bit longer and gone for the 2.0TFSI now!

I have had a 1.4 golf for over a year, and a saxo 1.4 before that. I really.. Really don't care about speed. lol

I care about not being a tw*t of a driver and having an accident because I was speeding and ****ing up my insurance for the next 5 years.. So in all honestly, the 1.6 would be fine. :)

I have had my 2005 1.6 FSI Sport Edition, awesome no problem at all, has decent amount of power (115) but also good fuel economy (40mpg winter) (50mpg summer) depending on driving.

I also had to go with 1.6 due to insurance, however in terms of the 1.6 FSI's i haven't had a problem with them, not a fan of diesel personally.

That is good to hear mate. I get around 55-60 miles out of £10 in my Golf 1.4, what would you say you get from £10?

I don't really need a diesel, all my driving is town, and tbh if something goes wrong with a diesel I'd be looking at more $$$ for repairs.

Hav u had a look at the 1.4 aswell ?

The 1.4 engines are in the new models aren't they? They are so expensive I think the cheapest one I found was just under 10k.

That is good to hear mate. I get around 55-60 miles out of £10 in my Golf 1.4, what would you say you get from £10?

Cant say for £10. When I brim it with 99ron at £75-80 then I'll get 500 if I'm carefully but normally
would be 430 miles, If driven properly can be quick enough for most Occasions.

I don't really need a diesel, all my driving is town, and tbh if something goes wrong with a diesel I'd be looking at more $$$ for repairs.

That is one of the reason why i myself don't like diesel, and with about £10 i drive really carefully 'eco-driving' lol, i could get about 70/80 miles. Just to point out the 1.6 FSI Sport Edition not only has more spec but also has a better MPG compared to the Special Editions!

Sounds good! Yeah I think I will put the extra 100 odd quid on insurance to have the FSI. Sounds an all round better car, I have seen a few for around 5k as well :)

I have a 55 reg 1.6 FSI sport that I paid 5.5K for last March. It's been pretty ok for the most part - it's not fast, but it's not deadly slow, and brisk driving doesn't hurt the economy too much. My Mpg is 30 - 50 depending on traffic, speed conditions etc.

One thing I didn't realise when buying is that they don't all have climate control - I think the Sport does, not sure about the SE. I prefer the CC - and it's a better system on this than my old Jag which someone paid 50k for when new.

Extras you might look for? MFSW (multi function steering wheel), cruise, bluetooth, better than std stereo?

If I find one with the audio controls on the steering wheel, and I wanted to upgrade the CD player, would the audio controls still work?

I had the FSI sport had all the extras possible including sat nav, sds, Bluetooth, mfsw, cc, auto light/ wipers BUT the engine just wasn't good enough underpowered when you needed it and not as good on fuel to say that it is the better option than a diesel and insurance group 11 for a 1.6 doesn't help either. I had mine less than a year simple as that.

Sounds like you had a really nice car mate, just lack of power. But as I have said loads of times going from a 75bhp Golf to a 115bhp A3 would be a difference to me, it would suit me nicely for a couple of years until I have racked up 3/4 years no claims.

I can't find a 1.6 with all them extras though! How much did you pay?

ARH I've got MFSW and upgraded the CD player to a pioneer unit and it all still works.

What did you upgrade to? I have heard the RNS-E system is the best to upgrade, for the best OEM look? But I'd be wanting to add some Focal components and a sub & amp, have you upgraded the sound system in any way mate?

the 1.6 fsi is the one to go for ive had mine now for over 5 years bar some recent coilpacks failing its never let me down and i get average of between 40-55mpg depending on where im driving , obviously around town they arent as good but ive not seen it below 35mpg

I get average of between 40-55mpg depending on where im driving , obviously around town they arent as good but ive not seen it below 35mpg

Fran u cant be driving it hard enough to see below 35MPG haha
on a spirited drive I'll get 18-24mpg

What did you upgrade to? I have heard the RNS-E system is the best to upgrade, for the best OEM look? But I'd be wanting to add some Focal components and a sub & amp, have you upgraded the sound system in any way mate?

Yes mate got a vibe sub kicking me in the back, left in the original speakers as they can easily handle it and since the head unit powers them they give out much more umpf than before! I've got a double din app radio 2, which has sat nav through the iPhone and lets you play videos etc. doesn't look as OEM as the RNS-e but I wanted something that lets me crank up the volume a tad. Very pleased with it.

Fran u cant be driving it hard enough to see below 35MPG haha
on a spirited drive I'll get 18-24mpg
i dont need to drive her hard ive done my years of fast car ownership ive had a highly tuned RS turbo before so now i just cruise about

Reactions: Zak0123
I can't see any point in paying extra for a 1.6 s-line - fair enough for the higher performance ones, but you're not really gaining much on these and the prices seem high. That red car (the one linked to an autotrader) looks rough inside - so was mine, but mine was cheap.

Buying a diesel ones will cost you more, as they are not as simple as petrol engines, just get yourself a 1.6 petrol, doesn't really matters whether it's 1.6 or 1.8, if you know your insurance will be affected! 115 BHP for 1.6 petrol engine is fine!

Make sure you have a test drive with a dealer before buying one!

My first A3 was 1.6 FSI and had it for a year and a few months, trust me the maintenance cost was way cheaper than diseal ones, also running on petrol is much better if you're not doing high miles!!!

Diseal engines is mostly for motorways!!! Also they don't hold their values as much as petrol ones! :)

Good luck :)