A3 2.0 TDI 140 Sport Starting Problem

Simon smith

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Total audi newbie. I have recently purchased a a3 tdi 2004 140 Sport. Great car,

I have a real bad/strange situation. This has only happend in the last week. Here goes.....

So I went out to my car in the morning and went to start it and it wouldn't start it wanted to fire up but just wouldn't anyway after 15 mins if trying it fired up. There was no loss of power or and warning signs on the dash. That evening I got to the train station from work started it no problems. Got home and turned it off, strait after that I tried starting it again with no joy. I left it until the morning and started fine. I've just been to the petrol station to fill up, turned the car off to full up, tried starting the car again and guess What, it wouldn't start. I've been stuck on asda petrol station for 46 minutes until it decided to start. Any help would be great!

The work that has been done is as follows

Full service

Brand new egr valve and throttle body
Temp sensor
Boost sensor
Etc etc

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Total audi newbie. I have recently purchased a a3 tdi 2004 140 Sport. Great car,

I have a real bad/strange situation. This has only happend in the last week. Here goes.....

So I went out to my car in the morning and went to start it and it wouldn't start it wanted to fire up but just wouldn't anyway after 15 mins if trying it fired up. There was no loss of power or and warning signs on the dash. That evening I got to the train station from work started it no problems. Got home and turned it off, strait after that I tried starting it again with no joy. I left it until the morning and started fine. I've just been to the petrol station to fill up, turned the car off to full up, tried starting the car again and guess What, it wouldn't start. I've been stuck on asda petrol station for 46 minutes until it decided to start. Any help would be great!

The work that has been done is as follows

Full service

Brand new egr valve and throttle body
Temp sensor
Boost sensor
Etc etc

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks
I have a 54 plate A3 2.0l TDI 140, and had a terrible starting issue, some days itbwould start fine, other days it would take ages to start and some days no start at all, I replaced my starter motor about 2 weeks ago with a nice new Bosch one and now the car starts up 1st time every time like a brand new car, there are other common faults how ever that could cause staring issues such as injector loom, faulty battery etc, just saying mine was my starter motor. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have a 54 plate A3 2.0l TDI 140, and had a terrible starting issue, some days itbwould start fine, other days it would take ages to start and some days no start at all, I replaced my starter motor about 2 weeks ago with a nice new Bosch one and now the car starts up 1st time every time like a brand new car, there are other common faults how ever that could cause staring issues such as injector loom, faulty battery etc, just saying mine was my starter motor. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much! I was thinking it was that but it's a lot of money to spend to find out it's not that. I guess it's a gamble

Thank you very much! I was thinking it was that but it's a lot of money to spend to find out it's not that. I guess it's a gamble
That's what I did plus my starter motor was sticking anyway so was due to be replaced. Hope u get your car sorted :)

what about vcds check for errors?
anyway usual things to fall are starter motor (usually won't start on hot engine), injectors.
But may be turbo, maf, glow plugs, loose loom, and a lot more.

Thank you everyone go your reply.

It's been on a vag-com today and the error that cam up was a eccentric shaft sensor. So I'm going to try and find one on eBay and see if it does the trick fingers crossed.

Does anyone know if this is the same as a cam sensor.

Thanks