A3 2.0 TDI 170 is the turbo gone ?? ** pics inside **

xtremedetailz

Reaction score
Right guys, my car has been smoking on idle and its a white/blue smoke (burning oil somewhere) that is rather strong smelling of unburnt fuel.

Just took off the pipe to the inlet manifold to see all this crap, is this signs of the turbo has gone ? Seems like oily residue and carbon build up as pictured.

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• IMG-20130326-00004.jpg
    IMG-20130326-00004.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG-20130326-00006.jpg
    IMG-20130326-00006.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 543
Unburnt diesel fuel will be black coming out the back, those pics just show the soot build up which is normal with diesels.

Unburnt diesel burns white smoke in the exhaust, oil burns blue, & over fuelling burns black smoke. Looking at the pictures your EGR pipe looks perfectly normal.

When did you last change your fuel & air filter?

checked the air filter and it looked clean, was on long life services but had N8 change it to normal services.

Gonna go get replacement filters tomorrow and see if it helps.

Can't see how the filters are causing white/blue smoke tho !!

Everything this works in relation to one another, if you don't care of the basics it will eventually always affect the more complex areas of the engine. Are you sure the white smoke isn't water vapour?

Yes mate its more oil burning smoke than vapour.

Plus the smell is well strong.

Went to change the filters today but been given the wrong one so gonna have to go back and swap it tomorrow.

Well guys just changed the fuel filter and it was black.

The worrying thing I'd so is the fuel, I tool some out of the chamber into a lid and it was very black like its contaminated with oil.

How can oil get into the fuel ?

The lift pump will be under the rear seat. Remove this to get access to the tank. FYI fuel in the filter shouldn't be black, if it is this is usually due to a failed tandem pump or leaking injector seals.

i know darkside development do the injector seals for these , cheaper than tps do them. it is mostly like the injector seals that are leaking , pointless swapping the fuel filter till you get them sorted as the new filter will be ruined almost instantly .

i know darkside development do the injector seals for these , cheaper than tps do them. it is mostly like the injector seals that are leaking , pointless swapping the fuel filter till you get them sorted as the new filter will be ruined almost instantly .

True, but if the filter is black again within a few 100 miles he'll know for sure its a problem on the injection side. If its still clean & there's still blue smoke its time to investigate the exhaust side of the sytem.

It had new injectors less than 10k ago from Audi under the recall and I'd think they would have put new seals in.

Well guys just changed the fuel filter and it was black.

The worrying thing I'd so is the fuel, I tool some out of the chamber into a lid and it was very black like its contaminated with oil.

How can oil get into the fuel ?

I had the same problem with the black fuel filter! Took it to audi and it turned out to be the tandem fuel pump on the right hand side of the engine. Basically the rubber seal breaks down allowing fuel and oil to mix! Hense the oil on the fuel filter.
They also said that also contributes to the injectors going down!
My turbo has also started whistle but with no loss of power or anything, which I think has something to do with the fuel oil mix and fuel thinning the oil so therefore less lubrication for the turbo.
Audi replace the pump, fuel filter cleaned fuel lines and tank and I also had the injector recall at the same time.
Going to do a few cycles of new oil to see if that helps the turbo whistle??? I doubt it but its worth a try and a lot cheaper than a new turbo!

Hope this helps

Cheers guys, very helpful as usual.

Gonna try the tandem pump next week and hope that cures it.

If not its off to Audi for them to check the injectors they fitted.

That cleaner looks like decent stuff, would it not be too abrasive and damage anything?

Brought a 2007 170 TDI Quattro on Friday and noticed this issue as soon as I got it home :(

Lots of exhaust fumes on startup, regardless of the weather outside. No fumes at all when driving, only when idle.
Turbo is also very whiney.
Its my first TDI so I can't say for sure if theres any affect on power, it's driving fine but Im not pushing properly until I can find out more info on this.

Looks like Im going to have to ring up Audi then :(

Brought a 2007 170 TDI Quattro on Friday and noticed this issue as soon as I got it home :(

Lots of exhaust fumes on startup, regardless of the weather outside. No fumes at all when driving, only when idle.
Turbo is also very whiney.
Its my first TDI so I can't say for sure if theres any affect on power, it's driving fine but Im not pushing properly until I can find out more info on this.

Looks like Im going to have to ring up Audi then :(

If its making the 'siren' noise or whining then your going to need a new turbo.....perfect opportunity to upgrade to a better one.... :)

The turbos wine anyway, it's only when it becomes so loud that people in the street turn around thinking its a police car that you need a new one.

If its making the 'siren' noise or whining then your going to need a new turbo.....perfect opportunity to upgrade to a better one.... :)

My turbo has made the siren noise for the last 30k miles. It can be caused by a slight difference in tolerance. Or bearing failure. Any decent mechanic can do a health check for about £150 which will give you a yeh or nah on replacing it. My car is now on 100k miles and I'm changing the tandem pump on Friday.
And try a filter change ad glow plugs. I had really bad black smoke change the glow plugs and it disappeared.