A3 2.0 TDI 2004 Problems

AudiMafia

Reaction score
Can some one help me understand more of this problems im having with my audi

When i start my car in cold engine it start in seconds but when its hot weather or engine hot the car takes more than usual to start any one's got a idea why is this?
Turbo whistling alot ?
and final when turning on the right fron wheel mkes some crunky noise?

your help is appreciated

not sure about that but if your turbo is whistling then it 'could' be on its way out..

Hot starting problem could be down to the starter motor. Apparently a common fault on this car.

Turbo whistling could be turbo but might just be a leaking turbo pipe.

'Crunky' noise on turning could be constant velocity joint on its way out.

You should take it to a dealer for proper diagnosis asap.

cheers

i can hear my turbo wind up is this bad?

Can be a sign of turbo failure occuring, mine did it for a year before i replaced it... but it is a game of russian roulette, as if the turbo goes and dumps all your oil out of the engine or into the air intake it can do more damage....

Car seems to be a little lumpy on idle when hot and takes a few cranking seconds to fire up when its warmed up , having read up a little it seems this maybe due to the cambelt timing not being spot on. but it could be temp sensor as well? Is there a "how to" guide out there for the A3?

changed my battery fixed my warm start probs

When i start my car in cold engine it start in seconds but when its hot weather or engine hot the car takes more than usual to start any one's got a idea why is this?
Turbo whistling alot ?
and final when turning on the right fron wheel mkes some crunky noise?

Hot start issues could point to starter issues as Mike said, common problem it is & has been on many different cars for years, swap starter was £130 from audi on an 07 2.0 tdi so isnt a ball breaker really & starts alot better, could swap it out yourself if handy with socket set & spanner.

The clonky noise could very well be the rack issue that has affected many 8P's, live with it for now if I was you unless has warranty.

Whistling turbo could be signs of wear, as long as she runs ok then wouldnt worry just yet, mileage?

A Big Congratulations to NHN.

NHN what do you say on this one i quote
Car seems to be a little lumpy on idle when hot and takes a few cranking seconds to fire up when its warmed up , having read up a little it seems this maybe due to the cambelt timing not being spot on. but it could be temp sensor as well? Is there a "how to" guide out there for the A3?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DiKapo
Car seems to be a little lumpy on idle when hot , having read up a little it seems this maybe due to the cambelt timing not being spot on. but it could be temp sensor as well? Is there a "how to" guide out there for the A3?,

Whats the mileage please as I requested in my last post reply to you mate.

Has it had a belt done & at what mileage?

There are 2 coolant senders on the 2.0 tdi assuming you have a bkd engine, these have been synonymous for issues, they're about £20-£30 from audi, one is fairly simple to swap, other requires patients, small hands & some coolant mix 50/50, as the latter sender possibly will loose some coolant on replacing.

Now I had an issue, I only bought 1 sender & swapped over with both old ones, & it didnt make any difference, so it wasnt a sender issue (on MY car that is), not to say you dont have 2 dodgy senders, but the likelyness of that is in the high numbers mate, so its your decision to test these as I cant be conclusive over the net, but they maybe a worthy test.

Sorry a how to guide for what exactly?

hi nigel and congrats by the way.

where are the 2 coolant temp sensors on the bkd engine m8 i have already replaced 1 under egr valve.

hi nigel and congrats by the way.

where are the 2 coolant temp sensors on the bkd engine m8 i have already replaced 1 under egr valve.

Yeah sorry havnt replied, good excuse huh.

The 2 sensors are 1 is located behind the egr/mani flap units on a pipe, pita to get to tbh with my clobber hands lol, 2nd is, look underneath the tandem pump on right side, theres a coolant pipe that runs along the right hand side with a sender on the end of a pipe there somewhere, torch needed & airbox removal suggested or tbh neccessary.

Hi.

Congrats NHN. Mine will come out in about 2/3 weeks. :jump:It's a girl....
Regarding the starting problems when hot, mie had the same issue. So the 2.0 TDI has two injection maps for ignition, one for cold ando other for hot engine temp. The cold map delivers diesel to the engine for a better start, the hot map doesn't deliver diesel, so it takes more effort to the starter motor. What i did was copy the cold map to the hot map. You can only do this with a remap tool.
This is a little fix to the real problem wich is the starter motor as stated above.

Best regards.

Hi.

Congrats NHN. Mine will come out in about 2/3 weeks. :jump:It's a girl....
Regarding the starting problems when hot, mie had the same issue. So the 2.0 TDI has two injection maps for ignition, one for cold ando other for hot engine temp. The cold map delivers diesel to the engine for a better start, the hot map doesn't deliver diesel, so it takes more effort to the starter motor. What i did was copy the cold map to the hot map. You can only do this with a remap tool.
This is a little fix to the real problem wich is the starter motor as stated above

Thanks, wish you & your family well too, you'll be where I am in 4 weeks huh, loving every single moment of it, she's great.

Any further info on the maps/remap tool you're referring to?

Thanks, wish you & your family well too, you'll be where I am in 4 weeks huh, loving every single moment of it, she's great.

Any further info on the maps/remap tool you're referring to?

Thanks. ;)

When i say remap tool i'm refering to cable as VCDS but with the ability to read/write on the ECU file.
You have Galleto 1260, KWP... Things like that. And also you'll need a remap software where you can read all the ECU file maps so you can copy, edit a rewrite maps.

Regards.

Hi, sorry i didnt see ur question the current milage is 100k and yes the engine bkd . i bought this car roughly 3 weeks now and the guy i bought it he said that he had changed timing belt at around 80k miles late 2008 or early 2009 . as u said it might be 2 coolant senders so im going to give it a go. How to guide for changing coolant sensors etc?
and thank u , u've been very help ful

any ideas on part numbers for the temp sender under tandem pump ?

just got other temp sendor for my car ... according to audi it sits in the thermostate houseing so changing thermostate at the same time also going to be flushing coolant system. removing and cleaning inlet manifold egr valve and fitting new throttle body and crank sensor ...

so hopefully should run ok....

If this lot dont work then who knows.

just got other temp sendor for my car ... according to audi it sits in the thermostate houseing so changing thermostate at the same time also going to be flushing coolant system. removing and cleaning inlet manifold egr valve and fitting new throttle body and crank sensor ...

so hopefully should run ok....

Any tips on how to remove the EGR?

Been meaning to clean out my own but access to the bolts on the underside looks like a nightmare!