MuzzyT

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of waiting to pick up an A3 2.0 TFSI 2018 S line in daytona grey pearl. The unfortunate thing is that due to covid, test drives are not allowed from all dealers atm.

The car I am waiting to pick up is 150 miles away and there are hardly any 2.0TFSi's on the market. As I am unable to test drive until I pick it up on 2 weeks, I was wondering what peoples thought are on the 2.0 TFSI engine (UK 190PS FW model) and if anyone has had any issues/recommendations and what performance and mpg is like in general?

I am also looking remap after the warranty runs out using JF Automotive that gets the power to around 260bhp from 188bhp.

I'm coming from a A1 1.4tfsi 122bhp myself :)

You’ll need to separate chassis feel vs engine feel.

The A1 8X chassis is very planted and chuckable (though my experience is with a 1.4 150PS) with good feedback. The A3 8V doesn’t give the same feedback.

I can’t comment on the engine but haven’t seen complaints about it.

Well for context, I’ve borrowed my sisters 1.4 tfsi 8v 150ps quiet a bit so I do know how the car feels to drive in terms of chassis. I wanted to compare the engines mainly as I’ve never driven the 2.0tfsi and wanted to see peoples thoughts.

Theres so many forums and talk of the 1.4/1.5tfsi and 2.0tdi but I just want to see more opinions on the 2.0tfsi as they seem much more scarce and less spoke of

I've been in a 190ps quattro for the last 3 months. My view is that its tuned for economy first, but has real potential with the right remap.
I've had a string of 2.0 tsi's, a 1.4tsi and a 1.8tsi and it feels more like the 1.8tsi than the higher powered 2.0's. Compared to the 1.4 COD it definitely feels less highly strung. Overall a good power plant with the potential to give a fair bit more.

I had this engine in my 2016 A4 which I had for 2yrs.

Positives - it was smooth and had enough punch when it was worked hard. It was reliable, never had any faults to fix.

Negatives - fuel economy was dire with low to mid 20s being the norm in day to day driving. The engine was gutless low down, needed to be revved hard and didn't feel like it had 190bhp. When revved the engine note and fuel economy put you off ever doing it again.

In your favour it'll be in an A3 which is a lot lighter than my A4 but I wished I would have plumped for the 2.0 diesel instead.

I've been in a 190ps quattro for the last 3 months. My view is that its tuned for economy first, but has real potential with the right remap.
I've had a string of 2.0 tsi's, a 1.4tsi and a 1.8tsi and it feels more like the 1.8tsi than the higher powered 2.0's. Compared to the 1.4 COD it definitely feels less highly strung. Overall a good power plant with the potential to give a fair bit more.
I thought this may be the case too hence why im looking to get a remap. Would be interesting to know if anyone has had one and the differences they’ve noticed.

I had this engine in my 2016 A4 which I had for 2yrs.

Positives - it was smooth and had enough punch when it was worked hard. It was reliable, never had any faults to fix.

Negatives - fuel economy was dire with low to mid 20s being the norm in day to day driving. The engine was gutless low down, needed to be revved hard and didn't feel like it had 190bhp. When revved the engine note and fuel economy put you off ever doing it again.

In your favour it'll be in an A3 which is a lot lighter than my A4 but I wished I would have plumped for the 2.0 diesel instead.
This is what I’m a tad cautious about. I saw another thread comparing the S3 to the A3 2.0tfsi with some saying its efficient and others were saying not so much and that you might aswell get an S3 for the inital cost and the relative mpg/power output for the same sized displacement. They were talking from purchasing from new though where as im buying a used one outright and the S3 FLs are a little out of my budget atm.

I am in no way inclined to get a diesel, london city driving + not enough miles would just cause mechanical problems later on for me.

I had a 2017 A3 saloon black edition 2.0TFSI Quattro. Best overall car I have owned. I normally change every 2’ish years but kept it for nearly 4 I liked it so much!

Engine was smooth and economical but had poke when needed. I did eventually add an MTM in to the mix which took the stock 193bhp to 247bhp, and lowered it, which made an already great drive much better.

Sounds awesome. I was looking at maybe getting a Golf GTI as they are obviously more responsive and fun to drive but although iconic, I just couldnt bear the tartan seats! Lets be honest, you should spend more time sitting in your pride and joy than looking at it, so the A3 2.0 tfsi looked like the best next thing with a good mix of power/torque, luxury and price range.

I’m aware of the lack of feel in steering when comes to some Audis but im sure remapping from <190bhp to 240bhp+ still makes it as fun and exciting to drive. Especially manuals.

I had the same engine in an A4 Quattro Avant. MPG generally in the high 20's on my 17 mile each way commute, 70% dual carriageway, 30% town. Mine was a DSG version, and it was a bit sedaye in D, better in S but revved higher than I like - so I had a basic Celtic Tuning map to stage 1, and that made it much nicer to drive, with enough poke in D that I didn't often feel the need to swap to S. No reliability issues.

I've had my 2.0TFSI quattro for just over 3 years. The engine has never missed a beat. It's smooth and quiet when driving normally, but knock the Stronic into sport and there is plenty of power when required. My long term mpg is 35.3. It's a great "have your cake and eat it" engine IMO.

I normally change cars every 3 years but can find nothing that tempts me to switch. Everything is going all touchscreen which I hate and petrol engines seem to be either 1.5 and 150bhp or 2.0 and 300bhp. Around 200 bhp is perfect I reckon.

Sounds great. I think the same tbh.

But I’m very frustrated this morning. Left London yesterday to go collect my A3 2.0 tfsi and it is as if all the moons, stars and suns lined up to make sure I dont collect the car. After 3.5 hours of driving and having already passed 3 car accidents on the M1, some numpty van driver put the nail in the coffin and decided to rear end a Ford Kuga and close the M6 for over an hour making everyone sit in their car engines off contemplating life. It wasnt even bad a accident honestly.

In the end I didnt get to make it to the dealership on time as they were closing so I had to turn around :(

I shall collect another day but all I can say is **** the M6. Twice it has done this too me now. Do people not know how to drive?!?

Sorry for the rant, I’m just deflated after an 8 hour round trip and not even getting to collect the car yet :laughing:

Sorry for the rant, I’m just deflated after an 8 hour round trip and not even getting to collect the car yet :laughing:
I think a rant is well justified in the circumstances!! I think we need a priority change with regard to RTAs. Unless there are genuine reasons not to, the absolute priority should be re opening the road, not closing it for hours at a time for a small bump as they do now.

Reactions: MuzzyT
I had two 2.0T of the previous generation 8P model. They were a great package, though admittedly the lower-order petrol powertrains weren't as well developed in those days.

Since then, I think there's been a polarisation: the likes of the S3 have moved the bar higher and taken with them a good portion of classic 2.0T customers. At the same time, the 1.4/1.5 TFSI is a very strong option and of course available with the highest trim options.

I think the 2.0 TFSI remains a good choice, though without the strong performance or economy advantages the other options respectively offer.

Would you recommend a remap at all to make it just that little bit more exciting to drive?

Would you recommend a remap at all to make it just that little bit more exciting to drive?
I could now it's out of warranty but I still wouldn't. I just don't want the hassle of having to declare mods to the insurance company whenever I renew.

If I'd wanted more power I would have gone for an S3, but I feel 200bhp ish is enough for me. I had a Mk7 Golf R before this which was good fun but I really didn't get much chance to use the 300bhp very often. For 95% of the time even 150 bhp would be probably enough, but it's nice to have a bit extra for fast and safe overtaking.

I finally got it! Grey pearlescent paint, 18 plate S line with virtual cockpit. Only 26k on the clock.

Its nice i like it, only thing im a little disappointed appointed about is that when ever I turn the wheel stationary, I can hear a creak so something needs to be checked there.

And i also know what people mean about the engine needing to be revved to feel like it pulls. It feels like it could be a little more responsive with the throttle but other than that im happy with it. Was such a nightmare to get it though!

Congrats @MuzzyT. Good that you have it at last, especially after your nightmare trip last time.

Remember forum rules - post pics or it didn’t happen.

Reactions: MuzzyT
48550F66 E6C4 49F2 8692 FDA5D2F440A3
7D40FFE0 CF16 4A9E BF49 17621C8604E4

There you go! I went and bought some black edition alloys and threw them on as I think they look much better than the regular S line alloys.

What do you think?

Reactions: Jcbmally and JohnM100
I actually initially went to buy a black edition version but after calling up a dealer to put a deposit down, someone got there just before me.

Then I thought is it really worth the extra £0000’s just for different alloys (which I have now anyway), some tints/dechrome and black wing mirrors? I can do that myself over time for much less.

All I’m looking to do now is get the windows tinted, front bumper trim and windows trim dechromed and a remap soon. Then it’ll look and feel even more ace.
Much better! But I'm probably biased as mine is a Black Edition with the same wheels :)