MuzzyT

Reaction score
So, I got my 2018 A3 2.0 TSFI remapped the other day and the dyno results surprised me a bit.

Have a look at what manufacturer claimed stock BHP and stock torque should be compared to what the car was actually outputting. 190bhp manufacturer claimed but car was outputting 213bhp.

I’ve had the car 6 weeks now purchased from a dealership and there are no mods to it. I just thought what the car was already outputting was surprising.

Main reason I got the remap done was because low end torque was pretty poor for a 2 litre but look at the gains on that! I was also quoted they could get 260bhp out the engine but on the day they were unable to achieve that so settled for 249bhp instead. Maybe because I had a slight mix of Ron95 and Ron99 in the tank.

Either way, thought this would be interesting to share.

Attachments

• 0611A604-2FD6-4D0B-B2EF-EC7F7306B3E4.jpeg
    0611A604-2FD6-4D0B-B2EF-EC7F7306B3E4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 529
Reactions: dantdi and Dubjam
335 lb/ft is what I am running in my mapped S3!

P.S. Your car also looks almost identical to my Daytona S3 with upgraded 15-spoke alloys. I only recommend you consider upgrading the tyres as you will really benefit from some premium rubber now. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MuzzyT
Nice! Is it FWD or quattro?

I'm planning to do mine but I think I'll wait until the warranty is gone :D

Last edited:
Its a FWD 6 speed manual. I’ve never driven an S3 but am curious to drive one and see what thats like in comparison and if the difference is as big as i think it is.

I’m also very curious to see if anyone else has got their 2.0 tfsi 190bhp engine remapped and what figures they’re getting with actual dyno numbers.

Looks like these engines are heavily underpowered from stock to play it safe. I do think if I had a tank full of pure Ron99 they could have got a little bit more. I had quarter tank of Ron95 and topped it up with Ron99 before getting it mapped.

I'll make the post once I remap mine. I don't think I'll go higher than 30% increase as that's the top my insurance allows...

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

So, I got my 2018 A3 2.0 TSFI remapped the other day and the dyno results surprised me a bit.

Have a look at what manufacturer claimed stock BHP and stock torque should be compared to what the car was actually outputting. 190bhp manufacturer claimed but car was outputting 213bhp.

I’ve had the car 6 weeks now purchased from a dealership and there are no mods to it. I just thought what the car was already outputting was surprising.

Main reason I got the remap done was because low end torque was pretty poor for a 2 litre but look at the gains on that! I was also quoted they could get 260bhp out the engine but on the day they were unable to achieve that so settled for 249bhp instead. Maybe because I had a slight mix of Ron95 and Ron99 in the tank.

How much did u have to pay for dyno? do u have quattro? did u pay quattro or only front dyno ?
I think remapping manual cars is pointless.. your shifting gears will be slow... and not sure if you have dual clutch on manuals or dual clutch is only on automatic ones?
I have automatic A3 TDi 2.0 180 quattro and had 1st stage remap for £150 And guy said I should have now up to 230BHP
When I drive off from 0 to -60 I roughly counted 4-5 seconds...
But when I asked prices for dyno they said 80 just for two wheel drive .. and many I phoned didn't have quattro dyno. Strange..
But if 2 wheel dyno is 80, then 4 wheel going to be nearly £200?? MIDDLE FINGER

Last edited:
How much did u have to pay for dyno? do u have quattro? did u pay quattro or only front dyno ?
I think remapping manual cars is pointless.. your shifting gears will be slow... and not sure if you have dual clutch on manuals or dual clutch is only on automatic ones?
I have automatic A3 TDi 2.0 180 quattro and had 1st stage remap for £150 And guy said I should have now up to 230BHP
When I drive off from 0 to -60 I roughly counted 4-5 seconds...
But when I asked prices for dyno they said 80 just for two wheel drive .. and many I phoned didn't have quattro dyno. Strange..
But if 2 wheel dyno is 80, then 4 wheel going to be nearly £200?? MIDDLE FINGER
£150? I wouldn't leave my car with the person who does that kind of modification to my car without the dyno. He could easily put some random map that's gonna mess up the car. I paid £300 for my MK7 Golf 1.6TDI with dyno and I think it's a normal price if done by the right person.

£150? I wouldn't leave my car with the person who does that kind of modification to my car without the dyno. He could easily put some random map that's gonna mess up the car. I paid £300 for my MK7 Golf 1.6TDI with dyno and I think it's a normal price if done by the right person.

Well he wanted £200 and he agreed £150 without receipt and at the end, he gave me paper anway :D
Well it is just disabling EGR reflashing software.. for stage one nothing else...

It's been a year and no any damage whatsoever..
many ppl go to him like 10 people waiting..

Attachments

• IMG_20200827_140336.jpg
    IMG_20200827_140336.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_20210714_183255_edit_9523992108442.jpg
    IMG_20210714_183255_edit_9523992108442.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 286
There are a bunch of technical differences between an 8V 2.0T 190 and an S3 300/310, which you can Google sometime - but they of course use the same EA888 base engine and they can be remapped with impressive results as you know.

Speaking as someone who's had various 2.0T A3s (mapped), GTI etc and two S3s of different generations...

I think you'd be surprised at how different an S3 feels to a cooking 2.0T. A mapped 2.0T is a great engine and of course the S-Line style is so close to an S3, but remember that the change extends as far as the map and doesn't include some really extensive hardware changes like induction, turbo, injection, cooling, suspension, brakes etc.

These combine to make the S3 of both generations feel quite different to me. The steering and suspension are stiffer, the leather is softer, the braking more beefy, the handling more confidence-inspiring and when you put your foot down... well, an S3 gets angry in a way that a mapped 2.0T just doesn't. In simple speed terms, a mapped 2.0T will be very impressive when you put down peak power in a tall gear on the motorway - but an S3 will walk away, especially once also mapped itself. (Yes, I do have experience of this). :)

I really loved my old, mapped 250hp 8P 2.0T quattro S-Line and it would be hard to describe in words why it wasn't just like a 265hp S3 in all but name - but I promise it really, really wasn't!

Reactions: MuzzyT, JohnM100 and Audi-Sport-Driver
There are a bunch of technical differences between an 8V 2.0T 190 and an S3 300/310, which you can Google sometime - but they of course use the same EA888 base engine and they can be remapped with impressive results as you know.

Speaking as someone who's had various 2.0T A3s (mapped), GTI etc and two S3s of different generations...

I think you'd be surprised at how different an S3 feels to a cooking 2.0T. A mapped 2.0T is a great engine and of course the S-Line style is so close to an S3, but remember that the change extends as far as the map and doesn't include some really extensive hardware changes like induction, turbo, injection, cooling, suspension, brakes etc.

These combine to make the S3 of both generations feel quite different to me. The steering and suspension are stiffer, the leather is softer, the braking more beefy, the handling more confidence-inspiring and when you put your foot down... well, an S3 gets angry in a way that a mapped 2.0T just doesn't. In simple speed terms, a mapped 2.0T will be very impressive when you put down peak power in a tall gear on the motorway - but an S3 will walk away, especially once also mapped itself. (Yes, I do have experience of this). :)

I really loved my old, mapped 250hp 8P 2.0T quattro S-Line and it would be hard to describe in words why it wasn't just like a 265hp S3 in all but name - but I promise it really, really wasn't!
Yeah I completely understand what you trying to say ... But well don't the car manufacturers, design everything on purpose..? Simply yes :)
While we all have different limited budgets each of us , and treat our cars like they are best until you are smoked by nice sounding S3 RS3 .. and will fly next to you :)
We mappin our cars thinking our car is best of all.. haaha :D And one day I was driving from work home and I heard loud engine rev behind and stopping next to me and I looked and seen the latest R8 .. And your face is then like this ,nodge to R8 driver saying ''hiiii'' :crushed:. And when. Red lights switched to green , you only heard crazy rev and dust and car disappears :D And then u thinking .. Well I have an remapon mine A3 :D :D :D

I think you have misunderstood the whole purpose of getting a remap. We are not racing car drivers driving on track, nor are we planting our foot down 24/7 redlining before every gear shift.

Some people, like myself, got a remap done for the low end torque and extra power where and when needed. This thread wasn’t put out there for my remap to try replicate an S3 or be as quick as one, it was to show basically how underpowered they are from stock and the surprising results from them.

And FYI, I’m not sure about most people seeing as they change cars every 2/3 years (maybe due to finance) but I own my cars outright so I therefore want to look after it. No way will I ever let anyone do a remap without it being a custom one on a dyno. You get what you pay for and I’d happily pay double the £200 you quoted for peace of mind and engine safety.

I think you have misunderstood the whole purpose of getting a remap. We are not racing car drivers driving on track, nor are we planting our foot down 24/7 redlining before every gear shift.

Some people, like myself, got a remap done for the low end torque and extra power where and when needed. This thread wasn’t put out there for my remap to try replicate an S3 or be as quick as one, it was to show basically how underpowered they are from stock and the surprising results from them.

And FYI, I’m not sure about most people seeing as they change cars every 2/3 years (maybe due to finance) but I own my cars outright so I therefore want to look after it. No way will I ever let anyone do a remap without it being a custom one on a dyno. You pay for what you get and I’d happily pay double the £200 you quoted for peace of mind safety.
No they are not absolutely underpowered. They doing it on purpose. To stop engine from exploding or when user messing with it!
Car manufacturers they know very clearly that the engine is capable more. But yoi get restrictions because depending of what you buy.. Simple and most of role plays the each country governments and rules applied!
In reality your or mine remap is on the taxed roads illegal... I bet you didn't tell the insurance you made tunings on your car and mods :)
And by remapping you basically putting engine to the its limits where anything can go wrong doesn't matter if u go to most trusted remapper guy.. And plus MOT will fail..
So don't worry I know what is the score ;)

Also I completely understand what you mean. Although the bhp figures could be around the same range between a remapped A3 and stock 8V S3, the Quattro 4wd, suspension, bigger brakes, bigger turbo etc…. all do completely transform the driving experience.

I was actually going to get an S3 instead but thought for now due to insurance, living in a high theft area and also not wanting to put £70 of petrol in there a week, I decided on the A3 instead lol. The S3 will come one day…..

No they are not absolutely underpowered. They doing it on purpose. To stop engine from exploding or when user messing with it!
Car manufacturers they know very clearly that the engine is capable more. But yoi get restrictions because depending of what you buy.. Simple and most of role plays the each country governments and rules applied!
In reality your or mine remap is on the taxed roads illegal... I bet you didn't tell the insurance you made tunings on your car and mods :)
And by remapping you basically putting engine to the its limits where anything can go wrong doesn't matter if u go to most trusted remapper guy.. And plus MOT will fail..
So don't worry I know what is the score ;)
Did you even read the first post properly? I said look at the manufactures stock bhp figure of 190, and look what actually the dyno showed before there was a remap, which was 213. That was my point.

And of course theres always risk, but if you’re raging your car around and not looking after it there will always be issues.

While opinions are welcome, your negativity and lack of full research is a little worrying. I’d suggest do some more research.

Anyway, car drives great and I am happy with the extra low end torque.

Reactions: Harvey
Did you even read the first post properly? I said look at the manufactures stock bhp figure of 190, and look what actually the dyno showed before there was a remap, which was 213. That was my point.

And of course theres always risk, but if you’re raging your car around and not looking after it there will always be issues.

While opinions are welcome, your negativity and lack of full research is a little worrying. I’d suggest do some more research.

Anyway, car drives great and I am happy with the extra low end torque.
Man few bhp not going to make your car crazy faster.
1st stage is always between 200 and 225 some reported 230.
190 or 195 vs 213 is nothing my friend
My negativity?
I think you are here starting negative arguments not me? :)
I didn't say any negativity
It is you who arguing and trying to put it on me
Please don't do that
And don't suggest me things what I have done b4 long time ago and u did it now and i think now u some kind of boss or something.. :D
Or if you want to look smarter only? ¯\_(ツ)_/

I asked you for the price of quattro dyno only and u couldn't even tell it soo.. ‍¯\_(ツ)_/

Last edited:
Also I completely understand what you mean. Although the bhp figures could be around the same range between a remapped A3 and stock 8V S3, the Quattro 4wd, suspension, bigger brakes, bigger turbo etc…. all do completely transform the driving experience.

I was actually going to get an S3 instead but thought for now due to insurance, living in a high theft area and also not wanting to put £70 of petrol in there a week, I decided on the A3 instead lol. The S3 will come one day…..
You are just newcomer here who thinks knows everything about Audi heh
What nonsense you saying that a3 remapped is same as stock s3??
Are you out of mind??
Not even close junior :)
You can tune a3 as much u like tou will never reach same performance as an s3 stock.. S3 even stock is another level which u have not even idea.. ¯\_(ツ)_/

190BHP to 213 BHP is a 12% difference from manufacturer quoted figure to actual figure, that is a huge difference as a percentage. Forget the individual bhp. If you had a 350bhp car , got it dyno-ed and it came out with 12% more than you expected being 392bhp instead of 350bhp then you'd be pleasantly surprised too.

I deliberately didn't say the price because you can see the company I used clearly on my dyno sheet and they provide individual quotes based on your car and demand etc... so I didn't feel the need to say. I already stated my car is a front wheel drive and also hinted I'd happily pay double the £200 (you were quoted) for a custom tune with dyno for a proper map so take with that what you will.

And nobody is even mentioning performance or speed other than you. I don't care about that and didn't create this thread as a competition of who has the fastest car. This thread is to provide data out there to someone who might want to remap their 2 litre A3 in the future and just the interesting things I found like the gap in quoted stock power and actual stock power and how much low end torque the engine is actually capable of.

If I wanted an S3 performing car then I would have got an S3. No need to presume or be rude.

Reactions: Dubjam
190BHP to 213 BHP is a 12% difference from manufacturer quoted figure to actual figure, that is a huge difference as a percentage. Forget the individual bhp. If you had a 350bhp car , got it dyno-ed and it came out with 12% more than you expected being 392bhp instead of 350bhp then you'd be pleasantly surprised too.

I deliberately didn't say the price because you can see the company I used clearly on my dyno sheet and they provide individual quotes based on your car and demand etc... so I didn't feel the need to say. I already stated my car is a front wheel drive and also hinted I'd happily pay double the £200 (you were quoted) for a custom tune with dyno for a proper map so take with that what you will.

And nobody is even mentioning performance or speed other than you. I don't care about that and didn't create this thread as a competition of who has the fastest car. This thread is to provide data out there to someone who might want to remap their 2 litre A3 in the future and just the interesting things I found like the gap in quoted stock power and actual stock power and how much low end torque the engine is actually capable of.

If I wanted an S3 performing car then I would have got an S3. No need to presume or be rude.
And I didn't even check out the garage as soon as I saw "kent" so down south, prices triples compare to North of england..

Reactions: MuzzyT
And I didn't even check out the garage as soon as I saw "kent" so down south, prices triples compare to North of england..
I wouldn't say so. If you want to do it properly with dyno then you have to prepare yourself to pay. I used to live in NE and paid £300 for remap with dyno. This is normal price for this procedure. Unless you use random bloke that has no idea about what he's doing..

I think this is not the place for this kind of discussion. He wanted to share his thoughts about the dyno results. Just get over with it

With respect to everyone, anyone can post on a thread, and it may or may not be directly related to the original post. It's common courtesy to at least have relevance to the original post, and if it diverts heavily, the OP is welcome to steer it back.

@Audi-Sport-Driver , please wind your neck in otherwise you'll be on a holiday.

Reactions: MuzzyT and The Cardinal
You are just newcomer here who thinks knows everything about Audi heh
What nonsense you saying that a3 remapped is same as stock s3??
Are you out of mind??
Not even close junior :)
You can tune a3 as much u like tou will never reach same performance as an s3 stock.. S3 even stock is another level which u have not even idea.. ¯\_(ツ)_/
Let’s get a few things straight in here. @MuzzyT has been a member longer than yourself. Let’s just keep threads on topic and cut having a go at one another. This is an adult car forum, not a playground. Obey the rules.

Reactions: Harvey and The Cardinal
Let’s get a few things straight in here. @MuzzyT has been a member longer than yourself. Let’s just keep threads on topic and cut having a go at one another. This is an adult car forum, not a playground. Obey the rules.

The Guv'nor has spoken. Disobey at your peril. Im very much in the mood to use the Ban button. It's been a while.

• Haha
Reactions: MuzzyT and AlS3BE
I wouldn't say so. If you want to do it properly with dyno then you have to prepare yourself to pay. I used to live in NE and paid £300 for remap with dyno. This is normal price for this procedure. Unless you use random bloke that has no idea about what he's doing..

I think this is not the place for this kind of discussion. He wanted to share his thoughts about the dyno results. Just get over with it
Yea man what you have to understand that 1st stage covers nothing just have laptop , then have as software and have a downloaded file to flash the firmware there is no ''properly'' exiting on 1st stage. BUT once you progress and go for 2nd stage so which covers air intake THERE is stuff to do properly. And then 3rd stage where you need an expert becuse this stage covers exhaust tune and injection pieps change and bigger turbo replacement... But then the price of course grows!
But what you need to remember these car garages when somone goes to their garages are non experienced they will tell you the price wha they like and they will do exactly same firmware flash for £500 and in other garage for £300. All depends who and how much want you to rip you off. And even it depends when. If it was long time ago when tuning just was something new for us of course it was sky high expensive .. but today car progressed and new cars absolutely do not need any remaps or tunings.. I mean those from 2020 or 2021

Anyway, has anyone else got a dyno done and realised their engine was outputting more than they initially thought? And why did you get a dyno and/or remap done in the first place? Im curious to hear other peoples experiences with this…….

Anyway, has anyone else got a dyno done and realised their engine was outputting more than they initially thought? And why did you get a dyno and/or remap done in the first place? Im curious to hear other peoples experiences with this…….

Mine was actually doing less. However it only has 25K on the clock, and being a diesel it may not have opened up yet.

Be very wary of power outputs, because they can be 'fluffed' quite easy, even more so if the rollers arent calibrated properly.

The figure you want to concentrate on is the amount gained from the before and after run, not the total. The only way you can get a real world total is run it up on various rollers, at different times (to allow adjustment for atmospheric conditions)and then take the average figure, or take it to a well established rolling road who calibrate to perfection, rather than fluff it so people walk away with this 'big power output' they can use in the pub, when in reality it could be 30bhp less.

Mine was actually doing less. However it only has 25K on the clock, and being a diesel it may not have opened up yet.

Be very wary of power outputs, because they can be 'fluffed' quite easy, even more so if the rollers arent calibrated properly.

The figure you want to concentrate on is the amount gained from the before and after run, not the total. The only way you can get a real world total is run it up on various rollers, at different times (to allow adjustment for atmospheric conditions)and then take the average figure, or take it to a well established rolling road who calibrate to perfection, rather than fluff it so people walk away with this 'big power output' they can use in the pub, when in reality it could be 30bhp less.
When you say less how much are we talking….. 3%, 5%, 10% less? Mines literally bang on 27k miles itself and would always expect maybe slightly less than factory, not in my case quiet a bit more.

I had mods done to my car and map etc and the printout said 471.8bhp but in reality it was no where near. More like 420-430.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

404 my rs3 did on the Dyno at college. Was supposed to be 362 I think? I don't trust dynos. 40bhp is way too high. How do you know the one used on your car is accurate?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: A3 Series
When you say less how much are we talking….. 3%, 5%, 10% less? Mines literally bang on 27k miles itself and would always expect maybe slightly less than factory, not in my case quiet a bit more.
I think mine was about 16bhp down on 186bhp on a proper rolling road. If you look uo my previous posts there is a graph somewhere on here.

its likely your figures may not be that accurate but that dosent matter, what matters is the increase before and after and you made good gains.

Its a FWD 6 speed manual. I’ve never driven an S3 but am curious to drive one and see what thats like in comparison and if the difference is as big as i think it is.

I’m also very curious to see if anyone else has got their 2.0 tfsi 190bhp engine remapped and what figures they’re getting with actual dyno numbers.

Looks like these engines are heavily underpowered from stock to play it safe. I do think if I had a tank full of pure Ron99 they could have got a little bit more. I had quarter tank of Ron95 and topped it up with Ron99 before getting it mapped.
I went from A5 2.0T 190 FWD to S3 310 AWD and it's night / day difference, seems like double the power honestly with much less lag.

I will note my A5 had the "two Euro updates" as the dealer told me when I had it serviced in 2020 and after that it felt like it had lost about 50hp and was incredibly laggy too. It was the OPF model, which the S3 fortunately lacks.

I suggest NOT driving an S3 if you intend to keep your car. I knew when I test drove mine I couldn't drive mine again.

Guys, keep this thread on topic. Don’t be rude or disrespectful to others opinions. If certain members on this thread disagree constantly, you will be excluded from this thread. If you don’t want to see posts from other members I suggest you use the ignore button. I will not put up with pettiness on the forum. Please remember that your adults and post according to the forum rules

I am totally not surprised to read this, I have a 2017 190 tfsi quattro s tronic and knew it must have more than 190bhp. The smaller turbo spools up faster too, mine has surprised me and faster Golfs and Audis. I've had numerous 1.8 and 2.0T VAG cars over the last decade and the 190 tfsi torque figure alone didn't really make sense to me at 190bhp, its torquier than other turbo petrol engines with well over 200bhp from my experience.

Ignoring the dyno and remap figures, it's not so unusual for manufacturers to play down the claimed book figures. Which for the gen3b ea888 190tfsi a3 are 190ps (187bhp) and 320Nm. It's the 320Nm that is a giveaway though, that's quite a lot for a 190bhp car in my opinion.

For perspective:
my old 225bhp 1.8T was claimed 280Nm book
my old 210ps (207bhp) gen3 ea888 Scirocco was claimed 280Nm book
my old mk2 TTS was claimed 370Nm book

I'm convinced the gen 3 ea888 210bhp Scirocco was more likely 230bhp (as it got branded shortly thereafter in golfs and S1). I loved the power delivery and torque in that, mine was manual and would have been perfect with haldex or a fancy diff tbh.

The same (cz## gen 3b ea888) A3 190tfsi engine is used on 2.0 polo gtis I believe and marketed as 207ps / 320Nm (note then same torque value as audi claim). 207ps (204bhp) isn't compatible with the new audi 40tfsi branding though, where '40' is from 165-198bhp (according to autocar).

The dyno figures are always subjective, like I said in my previous post, I'm not surprised that the 190ps claim is low.

I bought the a3 approved used, coming from a TTS to slow me down (whilst still wanting a petrol quattro) as my TTS was so easy to drive fast. For the record, I could have bought a slightly older s3 for similar money, chose not to. So I'm not biased, just pleasantly surprised. I will say though, the 190tfsi power delivery stock isn't great with s tronic, a remapped gearbox would transform it I suspect.