A3 (2006) 2.0 TDI Sport 170 - Starting problem

maidstone98

Reaction score
Hi guys

Owned my A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI sport 170 since 2009. Basically, engine runs like a dream, but I've consistently had problems with it starting since i had a fuel pump replaced in 2009 when it died in the winter weather.

Anyways, cutting a long story short, the symptons are that most days (particularly in cold or wet weather), it struggles to start - it nearly always does start, but often takes a bit longer than normal, and sounds a bit 'rough' when starting. Once engine is started, it runs like a dream and drives like a dream.

Classic example was this morning - tried starting it, and it wouldn't start first turn (grumbled); turned key back, then back on again, and with revs, it started!

It's been in/out of audi garages a few times, but trouble is once its started once for the day, then the problem doesn't repeat itself - its only ever the first start of the day where its an issue, so its really hard to replicate the issue when i take it to a garage (Aside from leaving it with them for a few days). It's already had glow plugs / wiring loom tested/replaced, so it can't be that.

I'm convinced it has to be something to do with the fuel pump as its only ever an issue when first starting, and i never had an issue starting it before the fuel pump died in 2009 and was replaced by Audi. However, i'm no expert in cars, and short of taking it back to garage again and them struggling to diagnose it, i'm at a loss on what to do next.

Anyone have any views on what it could be? Also conscious fuel pumps cost an arm and a leg parts wise (let alone labour wise), so i really want to be sure on what the issue is.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated - to reiterate - engine runs like a dream when started, its just always the first start of the day!

Olly (based in Surrey, UK)

Have very similar issue with wife's 2007 2.0tdi 170 SB, only 53k miles and serviced three months ago, runs perfectly when driving just starting it is tricky in cold weather, new battery helped a touch but problem still there

Interesting - i had same; new battery helped a bit (this was over a year ago), then i reckon within a month it was back to same. I'm convinced (not being a mechanic or expert!) that it's got to be something to do with either fuel pump (or fuel system) or air or something; basically the components that help start the thing! As i say, glow plugs have been replaced etc and no improvement!

mitalm - thanks for the link - my starting issue sound wise doesn't seem to be quite the same as yours. Not sure though - difficult to say! Mine's a 2006 A3 2.0 TDI Sport 170; by look of dash/sound of engine, i think its the next mark engine, so not sure if its the same issue?

Olly

No problem, well if I'm honest it's worth a consideration as it's about £70-£100 for the motor, so probably cheaper to buy and fit if you're willing to do it yourself than getting the fuel pump changed no?

Well its booked in to a new garage (haven't taken it to!) next week; we'll see what they say!

If you don't resolve it with that garage try having the injectors tested for leaks, hard starting can be caused by glow plugs/wiring loom/injectors or timing.