A3 3.2Q vs TTmk2 3.2Q

onianbag

Reaction score
have had the new TT for a few days now and thought i'd post a few of my thoughts and comparisons with my outgoing (written off A3)

here goes:
04 plate A3 3.2Q DSG sport with rns-e/tv function, bose, 6cd
vs
56 plate TT 3.2Q STRONIC with cd sat nav, bluetooth phone prep, heated seats, cruise control

LOOKS
a bit like comparing apples and oranges really, i still love the A3 shape but think it is starting to look ever so slightly dated - the S3 helps a little tho. the TT looks great - more aggressive and modern.

INTERIOR
both quality, not one better than the other, just different. TT might just edge it with slighly better textured plastics and inserts.

PERFORMANCE
i believe the 3.2 from the old shape TT and A3 was reworked and it shows - not a lot but definately more responsive. generally feels faster as the half a second faster 0-60 times suggest

DSG/STRONIC
not had long enough to detect any differences in the programming of the dsg/stronic - may be slightly smoother but could be imagining it.

ECONOMY
think the tt is quite a bit lighter and the early mpg figures seem to be backing that up - average of 29 compared to 24.

PRACTICALITY
obviously the TT has less boot space and the back seats are just a shelf really

RIDE / HANDLING
this is where the TT pulls away! simply leagues better than the A3. much more snappy and planted and fun and engaging - much bigger difference than i expected. ride is smoother over broken roads too.

TOYS
heated seats (ok i spose) multi function steering wheel (****** ace) bluetooth phone (ditto) cruise (not sure if i'll ever use it) cd nav (not as good as the rnse obviously. may need to chase down craigyb for a retro fit.....

thats it for now!

onianbag said:
LOOKS
a bit like comparing apples and oranges really, i still love the A3 shape but think it is starting to look ever so slightly dated - the S3 helps a little tho. the TT looks great - more aggressive and modern.

I don't think the sportback looks dated. But that is all we get over here.

I know the MK2 TT is the new big thing. But I wonder how long it is just like the first TT, new Bug and Mini...driven by old women. It's uncanny, everytime I see a TT it is a 180 HP and driven by some old lady.