A3 40 TFSI e Start-Stop

Rvand

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am driving a A3 40TFSIe since 6 months, i do like it a lot. Especially coming from a Renault Twingo :'). The only thing I really dont like is that it is impossible to turn off start and stop. When the engine is in start and stop and you give full power it feels way more jerky and uncomfortable as opposed to when the engine is running. In example when i want to be quick off the line before a traffic light, it is impossible to keep the engine running. Even when it is in dynamic mode, the engine keeps turning off.

The only ways that i can take of with a running engine (when it is not cold) are either putting ev mode to charge, does anyone know whether it will still deliver full power with kickdown when in charge mode? Or quickly tap the throttle just before you anticipate that the light will turn green.

Is there any other way keep the engine running or start the engine when it is in start and stop mode?

Have you tried putting it in battery hold mode and also clicking the drive selector down again to get "Sport" mode?

Unfortunately as it is a hybrid, when you come to a stop you're getting regen braking, it will charge the battery and probably stop the engine when stationary. This make for some jerky traffic light grand prix's! I've found it better in the above mode though.

Nope, makes sense though. Will try and report back.
Putting the gear selector in s mode should stop it - It does on the S3 anyway as the engine starts and the revs increase as soon as you select S

Yup, gear slider one slide towards the back of the car enable sports mode, would keep engine on, even if start stop is enabled on my 30TFSI. useful for traffic lights GP, esp if I know the opposite traffic light is turning red, slide the gear to S mode, engine restarts 1-2 sec before my lights go from red to amber, and foot flat on the pedal. With 110bhp + some electrical assistance, I need every split second advantage I can get! I guess the S3s, and 40 TFSIe, not so much! Even your electric only power is more than mine!

Putting the gear selector in s mode should stop it - It does on the S3 anyway as the engine starts and the revs increase as soon as you select S

Yup, gear slider one slide towards the back of the car enable sports mode, would keep engine on, even if start stop is enabled on my 30TFSI. useful for traffic lights GP, esp if I know the opposite traffic light is turning red, slide the gear to S mode, engine restarts 1-2 sec before my lights go from red to amber, and foot flat on the pedal. With 110bhp + some electrical assistance, I need every split second advantage I can get! I guess the S3s, and 40 TFSIe, not so much! Even your electric only power is more than mine!
Just to report back: Nope, did not work. Even in S the hybrid system is adamant that it needs to turn off the engine.

Makes me wonder whether the 45 tfsie, which is ought to be the performance variant, has the same configuration of the hybrid system parameters.

Oh that's going to be a faff then, I'm assuming even on battery hold (mode) the engine still goes off? And even if it doesn't go off, it would only use the ICE engine and not use the electric either.

Just to report back: Nope, did not work. Even in S the hybrid system is adamant that it needs to turn off the engine.

Makes me wonder whether the 45 tfsie, which is ought to be the performance variant, has the same configuration of the hybrid system parameters.
Hi Rvand,

2022 - A3 45 TFSIe here, same behaviour as yours.
Actually the only way to make it to keep the engine running is by setting the Battery Charge mode, which obv sucks for petrol consumption reasons.

At least, if I set Dynamic + S mode, the engine response is quick af, even more if you press the pedal gently to get the EV boost :)

Cheers

Hi All
Same as @withMarc A3 45 TFSIe
Yes if you want go quicker off the lights you need 'Battery charge mode' and S mode on the gear box, but the car is used more usefully for overtaking etc when in motion with battery and engine engaged.
The car is pretty quick off the line but really quick when overtaking and maneuvering etc.
You mention the petrol consumption @withMarc ....may be because my car is new and I may be going a little to quick most places, but it really is not very good is it??

Matt