a3 8v 1.6tdi launch control?

Jake Fowler

Reaction score
does anyone know if the 1.6tdi 8v comes with launch control as standard? I know with the 8p all you had to do was double dip the clutch and it initiated the launch control … now not having a handbrake I wondered how it happened with the 8v

yeah … went for 1.6 tdi because I do over 100 miles a day for work … im sure the 2.0 tdi does

I was under the impression that's it's only S-Tronic and maybe only S / RS cars.

Nothing wrong with the 1.6 diesel, partner got same engine in her A1. Well I say nothing wrong, it's not built for speed lol

I wanted the 2ltr but because of the economy of the 1.6 it made sense because of the miles

I have the 1.6 and have to say, whilst I've never heard anything about the car having launch control, I imagine it would be a little pointless. Perfectly adequate engine but it ain't no speed machine!

Reactions: Scottyg and The Challinor
As above fairly pointless on a car with as much power as this has. Even if it had launch control it's not going to make much difference if any over a manual start.

Karl.

Reactions: The Challinor
I had the 1.6 tdi in my 8P, and have the 2.0 tdi in my current 8V.
I get better economy from the 8V by ~10 MPG over the 8P.
I hope you have a better experience because I felt rather let down by the 1.6 in economy terms.

On an average motorway run with the cruise set at 70 I'm getting around 54 mpg, which I'm a little disappointed with to be honest. The car has 4,000 miles on it now, so I would have thought the engine will have loosened up as much as it's likely to.

I normally get around 59-64mpg on a motorway run ... Have had 81.4pmg out of it

On an average motorway run with the cruise set at 70 I'm getting around 54 mpg, which I'm a little disappointed with to be honest. The car has 4,000 miles on it now, so I would have thought the engine will have loosened up as much as it's likely to.
Turn off cruise, you'll get better...

I get close on 60mpg on my daily commute which is a mixture of B and A roads and can get close on 50mpg on motorway runs with cruise set to 80mph - this is with the 184 TDi engine.

I was lead to believe that all auto boxes have the launch control feature?
Easy way to find out, if yours is auto, just press the ESP button and then put left foot on brake and floor the accelerator...let go of the brake and see what happens!