A3 8V Aftermarket Amplifier Install Question

Farhan

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im looking to carry out a small install on the 8V. My install plans are fairly simple, we are looking to add an aftermarket amplifier/Subwoofer to the base system.

I know what we intend to do with the install but i had a few simple questions:

1. Where is the best location to tap the rear speaker wires? Is there anywhere in the boot area to quickly access these? (These will be fed into a processor to flatten the signal)
  2. We will need to run the amplifier power wiring from the battery, Is there a good known location to run the power wire from the firewall that other may know?
  3. We have signal sensing on the processor and the amplifier but is there a good known location to get a remote turn on in and around the boot area?

For info, We arent looking to add/code/retrofit anything as we have the equipment already and would be removing the equipment into another car hence sticking to this method.

Run power via aircon unit. Remote for amp should come from head unit. I ran separate amp and sub alongside existing setup just changed head unit

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Farhan
Where is the best location to tap the rear speaker wires? Is there anywhere in the boot area to quickly access these? (These will be fed into a processor to flatten the signal)

Understand that you have the bits already but why not have the dedicated subwoofer outputs on your MIB unit activated for a proper installation? I do this for people all the time.

We will need to run the amplifier power wiring from the battery, Is there a good known location to run the power wire from the firewall that other may know?

Rubber grommet behind the glovebox, comes out to the side of the ABS module / pump in the engine bay.

Reactions: Farhan, Daniela3 and 8YARWY
Im with djalix here.. The oem subwoofer and extra center cash speaker gives you a lot extra power. And subwoofer control in mmi.
Chance is you want nothing more..
And of you want more you have a dedicated sub out.

Reactions: Farhan
Understand that you have the bits already but why not have the dedicated subwoofer outputs on your MIB unit activated for a proper installation? I do this for people all the time.

Rubber grommet behind the glovebox, comes out to the side of the ABS module / pump in the engine bay.

Interested in knowing/potentially having this done. The dedicated subwoofer output would be good but how would this work alongside aftermarket equipment?

If i understand correctly you activate the MIB which means we now have a speaker output which we can send direct into an aftermarket amplifier? Or would we still need to flatten DEQ the signal into a line output converter.

This is very helpful, I will do some digging around when i have the car with me again.

Im with djalix here.. The oem subwoofer and extra center cash speaker gives you a lot extra power. And subwoofer control in mmi.
Chance is you want nothing more..
And of you want more you have a dedicated sub out.

I already have the aftermarket equipment and i always move my equipment from car to car specifically if they are kept for a shorter period of time i usually just add a subwoofer to the factory systems. I dont mind having the dedicated subwoofer out but i would like to know the added benefit of having this activated apart from the convenience as i usually run a bass controller to dial in more/less bass. It would be nice to have this integrated into the MMI but more often than not i prefer an external bass controller to just dial in on the fly without having to go into the settings.

Interested in knowing/potentially having this done. The dedicated subwoofer output would be good but how would this work alongside aftermarket equipment?

If i understand correctly you activate the MIB which means we now have a speaker output which we can send direct into an aftermarket amplifier? Or would we still need to flatten DEQ the signal into a line output converter.

This is very helpful, I will do some digging around when i have the car with me again.
My knowledge of ICE is limited I am afraid but I would have thought that having a dedicated subwoofer output would be better than tapping in to existing speakers and then filtering out mid and high range frequency's in order to feed your sub. I have done this for a number of people looking to install aftermarket ICE and have never had any negative feedback. I had one customer who did not actually want to go this route and opted for a solution along the lines of what you are planning at the moment and to be honest the results were garbage and amazingly expensive. All he achieved was volume with no quality.

My process livens up two dedicated outputs on the rear of the MIB unit, subwoofer and front centre channels. The MIB then adjusts the stereo field and filters / diverts frequencies accordingly. The MIB menu system also gains focus control and depending on your MIB type and software version you will also gain a dedicated subwoofer control volume control. Those units without a control will have the sub volume fixed at 50%.

I already have the aftermarket equipment and i always move my equipment from car to car specifically if they are kept for a shorter period of time i usually just add a subwoofer to the factory systems. I dont mind having the dedicated subwoofer out but i would like to know the added benefit of having this activated apart from the convenience as i usually run a bass controller to dial in more/less bass. It would be nice to have this integrated into the MMI but more often than not i prefer an external bass controller to just dial in on the fly without having to go into the settings.
Having the dedicated sub still running adds extra depth

Also I have better control over the level of bass while still having food mids and tops

My knowledge of ICE is limited I am afraid but I would have thought that having a dedicated subwoofer output would be better than tapping in to existing speakers and then filtering out mid and high range frequency's in order to feed your sub. I have done this for a number of people looking to install aftermarket ICE and have never had any negative feedback. I had one customer who did not actually want to go this route and opted for a solution along the lines of what you are planning at the moment and to be honest the results were garbage and amazingly expensive. All he achieved was volume with no quality.

My process livens up two dedicated outputs on the rear of the MIB unit, subwoofer and front centre channels. The MIB then adjusts the stereo
Hi.
Any luck with amplifier?
a3 with Audi sound system , sub in the boot. Starting to thing about adding a bit heavier bass. I think about adding standard amp with hi/low input and feeding from factory sub in the boot. I will get sub control from Mib.

My process livens up two dedicated outputs on the rear of the MIB unit, subwoofer and front centre channels. The MIB then adjusts the stereo field and filters / diverts frequencies accordingly. The MIB menu system also gains focus control and depending on your MIB type and software version you will also gain a dedicated subwoofer control volume control. Those units without a control will have the sub volume fixed at 50%.

Hi.

My a3 has Audi sound system , sub in the boot. Starting to thing about adding a bit heavier bass. I think about adding standard amp with hi/low input and feeding from factory sub connector in the boot. Will I get sub control from MIB? (As right now I can control Oem sub from MIB)
Thanks

Hi, also looking to add an aftermarket amp but am struggling to find somewhere to connect the remote cable to. Is there a specific remote output on the mmi?
Many thanks,
James

Hi, also looking to add an aftermarket amp but am struggling to find somewhere to connect the remote cable to. Is there a specific remote output on the mmi?
Many thanks,
James
What I did was add a fuse tap into a ignition live in the glove box then run the wire to the boot hope this helps

Many thanks,
James

The short answer is No.
You should either use an amplifier with auto turn-on on signal detection or a speaker-to-rca converter with remote wire output

Reactions: James Blackbrough
The short answer is No.
You should either use an amplifier with auto turn-on on signal detection or a speaker-to-rca converter with remote wire output

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Didn’t know they did the converter with built in remote. Will need one of these anyway so that be perfect.

Hi, does anyone happen to know what pins do what on the B&O sub? There’s 4 left to right but need to wire up the plug and don’t know which do what. thanks.