A3 8v mmi shutdown

1Rockape

Reaction score
Evening all. I have a fl 16 a3 s line and the mmi as shut down twice in the last month and re booted mid journey. I took a scan and it showed 2 faults. Ive cleared and re set the mmi. Just wondered if any off you have an idea what it could be . Thanks
46b882cdd21358b9e18ed6eb71c25712.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Does the optical data bus error time and date match up to the last time this happened? If not then I would suggest your unit is overheating, not uncommon for these units.

Yes it does match up. Any fix for this ? Aldo what about the nav fsult ? Thanks for your reply.

You have a Delphi High Scale unit so the nav is on an SD card which could be on its way out. Might be an idea to update your firmware as it’s older and might resolve the issue.

re the optical, could be a cable issue, connector, MIB or far end issue, ie the amp or virtual cockpit “ or what ever is at the other end of the MOST cable.

Thanks alix just noticed id missed the 3rd fault of the op.
e5d47e30f7adac88bd4b2779b538cf2a.jpg

1637 - Interface for External Media
U11B8 00 [008] - No Communications
[USB - communication error]
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 185
Mileage: 86760 km
Date: 2020.11.16
Time: 16:41:50

Voltage terminal 30: 13.5 V
Interface for external media: status-Status: Measured value not available

1637 - Interface for External Media
U11B8 00 [008] - No Communications
[USB - communication error]
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 185
Mileage: 86760 km
Date: 2020.11.16
Time: 16:41:50

Voltage terminal 30: 13.5 V
Interface for external media: status-Status: Measured value not available

USB ports.

With connection issues flagging up on your MMI I would be inclined to pop it out and check the connection to the rear of the unit, checking for damaged / pinched wires etc

I know you have been retrofitting recently, have you been working in the glovebox area?

Thanks ill have a look . Not been behind the glove box only the can connections in the passenger footwell.

Could be but not 100% sure of the connections run off in that direction. The passenger footwell is a main junction point for the vehicles wiring so would be a place I would investigate for sure.

Thanks ill check it out . Going back to the retrofits, as you mentioned the hba mirrors are on the can drivetrain but the wiring diagrams fir the a5 front assist module which includes the hba shows it on the can extended. Not knowing very little about the canbus sytem whyvis this ?

Thanks ill check it out . Going back to the retrofits, as you mentioned the hba mirrors are on the can drivetrain but the wiring diagrams fir the a5 front assist module which includes the hba shows it on the can extended. Not knowing very little about the canbus sytem whyvis this ?

Different in different cars. Different modules are designed to communicate in different ways and expect to see and send signals on specific networks. Take an A6 reversing camera as an example, install it on the infotainment CAN and it will work but you will only get a picture and not the guidelines etc.

Different in different cars. Different modules are designed to communicate in different ways and expect to see and send signals on specific networks. Take an A6 reversing camera as an example, install it on the infotainment CAN and it will work but you will only get a picture and not the guidelines etc.
Thanks djalix.
I found this on hi beam assist mirror today
I did a retrofit on the tt 8s module 20 into can drivetrain. Perfect .
Exact same retrofit into a3 8v facelift but just wouldnt work lots of communication faults was just about to order another mirror when tried on can ext and hey presto perfect . So mqb are not all the same hey ?

Thanks djalix.
I found this on hi beam assist mirror today
I did a retrofit on the tt 8s module 20 into can drivetrain. Perfect .
Exact same retrofit into a3 8v facelift but just wouldnt work lots of communication faults was just about to order another mirror when tried on can ext and hey presto perfect . So mqb are not all the same hey ?

Not all MQB cars use the same parts or communications networks.