A3 8v oil change help

Bouldy

Reaction score
Was going to change the oil in my a3 8v before we go to caravan. The help that I was looking for is whats best oil to use and is it full or semi synthetic and what size filter removal tool I need. Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Don't know about tool mate sorry
needs to be fully Synthetic

Reactions: Bouldy
From googling it would see you need a 32mm socket - the filter is a removable pleated element inside the housing I think. You’ll also need to get the old oil out somehow, many people buy a suction device, as it saves jacking up the car and removing the under tray to get at the sump plug (in fact in some Audi’s there is no sump plug) plus of course you won’t need a new sump plug and washer

I put castrol and an expensive millers nano drive in my old golf and made no difference at all, no gas milage changes no performance nothing
Get what ever is cheapest. at the end of the day they all have to comply with regs.
Just get full synth

Well as the difference in cost isn’t going to be that much, I’d certainly stick with an oil with VW 504.00 approval, 5w-30 synthetic oil. You’ll need 6 litres.

When I do my own oil changes, I just use a suction device down the dipstick tube. Gets most of the oil out. As above, you need a 32mm socket to undo the plastic oil filter housing (accessibly from the top of the engine). As for oil, I've just used Shell Helix HX8 ECT 5W-30 for my latest change (VW 504.00 spec).

I thought my 2019 35tfsi used 0W-20.

Colin

That looks to be the VW508.00 spec oil - Edge Titanium LL (long life) for example. My handbook just lists the specs that should be complied with (502.00, 504.00, 508.00 for petrol engines) but not the viscosities - that’s down to dealer to specify apparently. 502 and 504 are 5w-30 oils. 508 is 0w-20.

For the temperate UK climate either will do.

504.00 protects more , 508.00 protects less but is more fuel efficient , more expensive and not as available .

Was going to change the oil in my a3 8v before we go to caravan. The help that I was looking for is whats best oil to use and is it full or semi synthetic and what size filter removal tool I need. Many thanks in advance
Best oil is fully synthetic from Liquimoly. I have went through castrol, mobil1, and a couple ohters and Liquimoly molygen is by far the best. You can use a light to see if there are leaks and it burns ALOT less oil.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

The Liquimoly 0w-20 is VW 508.00 spec. and they do a 504.00 5w-30 spec oil too. Not bad at £12 / litre.

I guess it depends on how much you value your engine. As I've spent approaching £30k on a car, £100 for oil once a year isn't a lot when measured against depreciation, insurance, road tax, even fuel. You can put what you want into yours (then panic when it's the "wrong" oil, as you did on your other thread), I'll stick with a recognised brand, from a recognised retailer, that matched what Audi recommend as a spec.

Reactions: Booti and JohnM100
I guess it depends on how much you value your engine. As I've spent approaching £30k on a car, £100 for oil once a year isn't a lot when measured against depreciation, insurance, road tax, even fuel. You can put what you want into yours (then panic when it's the "wrong" oil, as you did on your other thread), I'll stick with a recognised brand, from a recognised retailer, that matched what Audi recommend as a spec.

Ever heard of
2020 06 25 085523

?

Nope. So they do oil analysis. I also know there are companies in the UK that blend their own versions of mainstream oils - that’s probably where Audi get their Quantum oils from. But as I said I don’t see £100 for oil a huge investment for so-called premium oils (vs say £50 for a clone, so an additional £50) when compared to what else I spend on my car. YMMV.

Your car engine is build to handle most of oils.. Don't go always what is expensive it must be best .. it isn't it is just all pure money making
Your car owning time span will never reach engine fail especially in german cars no matter what oil you use of course specs wise.
I know S3 can be sensitive but it will handle all VW specs from -to in our cases.. I had Audi A3 2010 mapped to nearly 200bhp and engine just were strong so 10 year old car and still going perfect for other owner..
I value my car too always maintain, but these cars aren't supercars or hypercars what we own for 100.000 to million.. to buy exactly on spot on specs
Because you won't own the car for 10 years you will sell it much earlier and move on ..

Nope. So they do oil analysis. I also know there are companies in the UK that blend their own versions of mainstream oils - that’s probably where Audi get their Quantum oils from. But as I said I don’t see £100 for oil a huge investment for so-called premium oils (vs say £50 for a clone, so an additional £50) when tonecompared to what else I spend on my car. YMMV.

So you would trust on authority if Blackstone said something about engine oil ?

Quantum is produced by Fuchs in the UK , formally Castrol in Gent , Belgium had the contract .

Your car engine is build to handle most of oils.. Don't go always what is expensive it must be best .. it isn't it is just all pure money making
Your car owning time span will never reach engine fail especially in german cars no matter what oil you use of course specs wise.
I know S3 can be sensitive but it will handle all VW specs from -to in our cases.. I had Audi A3 2010 mapped to nearly 200bhp and engine just were strong so 10 year old car and still going perfect for other owner..
I value my car too always maintain, but these cars aren't supercars or hypercars what we own for 100.000 to million.. to buy exactly on spot on specs
Because you won't own the car for 10 years you will sell it much earlier and move on ..

Not everyone works that way. I had my first Audi for 11 years and 108k miles - I only sold it because of my employer company car policy. I don’t fall for the ‘3 year PCP and move on’ dream. That’s my choice but I know others feel differently.

Per your other posts; cheap oil and wrong oil that doesn’t meet specs and brake fluid change extended every 5 years, I can’t see that as a recipe for long term ownership without a big bill or something letting go. If you swap the car it’s just a time bomb for the next owner due to lack of care and their inability to spot that before they purchase.

Not everyone works that way. I had my first Audi for 11 years and 108k miles - I only sold it because of my employer company car policy. I don’t fall for the ‘3 year PCP and move on’ dream. That’s my choice but I know others feel differently.

Per your other posts; cheap oil and wrong oil that doesn’t meet specs and brake fluid change extended every 5 years, I can’t see that as a recipe for long term ownership without a big bill or something letting go. If you swap the car it’s just a time bomb for the next owner due to lack of care and their inability to spot that before they purchase.
Well yeah I had A3 2011 for 2 years haha now A3 2015 just passed one year and now am thinking about S3 :D
NO no I meant 5W-30 within specs but there are more values as above stated VW 508.00 or 504 so there is from-to values, but to be honest I never checked this detaily. Once I went to local auto parts shop and i gave them reg and they told me that you can buy cheapest it is OK oil to use but we recommend this oil and it wast'n any well know brand completely unknown and it was all fine..think £30 pounds.
Heh time bomb but not for me, When I decided to sell and part ex my car I just went to friends garage before and got replaced all filters oils, he checked car then I exchanged..I sold it to person who doing cars or repair so they defo put it on ramp straight after. no complains..

You can often get the edge titanium at a good price. Don't overtighten the filter housing! Have a rag ready when you remove the filter - it can be quite tight and you need to give it a pull. The filter should come with a replacement o-ring for the housing - remember where this goes when you remove the old one.
As someone said, easiest way is with a vacuum tool. Takes about 15 minutes from start to finish once you know what to do.

You can often get the edge titanium at a good price. Don't overtighten the filter housing! Have a rag ready when you remove the filter - it can be quite tight and you need to give it a pull. The filter should come with a replacement o-ring for the housing - remember where this goes when you remove the old one.
As someone said, easiest way is with a vacuum tool. Takes about 15 minutes from start to finish once you know what to do.
Yeh I've done it couple of times saved plenty money .. I hate filter is underneath now in old A3 2011 had it from top much better
Vacum what ?? jesus no that's crazy always new it cost just 6-7 pounds

The vacuum extraction/suction tool is worth its weight in gold. No need to remove the undertray to get at the drain plug. No issues with damaging the sump when re-installing the plug, etc. etc.

The vacuum extraction/suction tool is worth its weight in gold. No need to remove the undertray to get at the drain plug. No issues with damaging the sump when re-installing the plug, etc. etc.
I have to remove it ..

I love it how everyone suggested the oil, yet noone asked what engine he has. :)

VW 507.00 if diesel by the way.

Reactions: springer and Phutters
I love it how everyone suggested the oil, yet noone asked what engine he has. :)

VW 507.00 if diesel by the way.
Why ? of course no one asking what engine don't u see on bottle dat oil is for diesel AND for petrol too??

I ask for advice about changing the oil. Not a debate
Just simply get this one and u ok I changed it and it is ok or go to asda and get one there ... Heard there are massive discounts on many things

Attachments

• Oil.jpg
    Oil.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 224