Facelift A3 8v real MPG?

akeneagle

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m driving the 2016 8v 1.6tdi 110bhp model for 50 miles daily (25-25) and I’m averaging an MPG of 40 mpg on the way out and 45mpg on way back home.

I’m wondering is there anything I should be worried about this mpg or it is completely normal? The reason why I’m asking this is because officially the mpg listed is around 70mpg but I never even get around 60mpg even when I went to the airport which is mostly motorway.

For more info, I drive mostly in city with average traffic conditions and there is a bit of motorway.
I do launches every now and then during the journey as well.

Standard tyres with appropriate tyre pressure, recently had serviced and oil changed.
Fuel: standard diesel (fuel save)

Last edited:
Sounds probably about right for the conditions you've described. The extra-urban figure is done at constant 56mph, engine already hot, at 20C (something like that). These can be replicated in the same conditions but real world use its hard to get close. I've had 70mpgs in the wifes 1.6 HDI pug but it was exactly like those conditions., i.e. back roads, 60 in the motoroway, no interuptions on a hot summers day. Real world use of the same car is just over 50 mpgs mostly out of town driving.

I
Sounds probably about right for the conditions you've described. The extra-urban figure is done at constant 56mph, engine already hot, at 20C (something like that). These can be replicated in the same conditions but real world use its hard to get close. I've had 70mpgs in the wifes 1.6 HDI pug but it was exactly like those conditions., i.e. back roads, 60 in the motoroway, no interuptions on a hot summers day. Real world use of the same car is just over 50 mpgs mostly out of town driving.
I agree with that. My 2.0 blue HDI was quoted as being capable of 64mpg on the combined cycle, but mostly city driving with a bit of motorway yields no more than 37mpg. Even full motorway driving yields no more than high 40's.

I

I agree with that. My 2.0 blue HDI was quoted as being capable of 64mpg on the combined cycle, but mostly city driving with a bit of motorway yields no more than 37mpg. Even full motorway driving yields no more than high 40's.
On motorway driving, whether you do 70 or 80 makes a fair difference. As does whether you are one of the drivers that is constantly on / off the accelerator a bit. Some people are just like that and this style is bad for turbocharged engine economy as it repeatedly spools the turbo.

On motorway driving, whether you do 70 or 80 makes a fair difference. As does whether you are one of the drivers that is constantly on / off the accelerator a bit. Some people are just like that and this style is bad for turbocharged engine economy as it repeatedly spools the turbo.
I might be in that category if I wasn't using the cruise control but I always use it where possible to keep the speed constant, when on the motorway. Whilst I completely agree my, and other people's driving style has an impact, the fuel economy manufacturers quote is clearly from the land of Makebelieve! If it's done in a controlled environment that isn't replicable in the real world, it may as well say anything to the gallon.

It really is down to driving style and conditions. I run a 2019 150 bhp 35tfsi petrol.
I have been doing a monthly trip of 300 + mile from Merseyside to Devon/Cornwall. I always brim the tank and have seen 73mpg recorded on the screen pulling off the M6. By the time I'm home this has dropped to 71mpg and brimming the tank again shows just under 70mpg. I regularly get 65-70mpg on this run if I stay at about 55mph. The sweet spot seems to be around 1950rpm, about the start of peak torque. I found the same on previous 2L diesel Yeti and Touran.
At present I'm in Holland. As we know its fairly flat here and I'm recording 40mpg towing a 1200kg caravan at the legal 50mph.
Normal non winter, non rush hour driving returns 48/52 mpg.
Manufacturers figures are attainable but you do need a very good run, hot engine and a light foot.

Colin

Change some of your driving style and make note of any benefit or not. I do the same daily commute but would be a mixture of motorway and back roads however I am in a 480bhp S3 and getting about 340 miles to a tank so around 28-30mpg

I have had to make loads of small changes to my style to achieve this but also to try keep the drive interesting

Never use cruise control in dynamic mode. It's very twitchy and all too keen to apply the brakes or accelerator on hills to maintain constant speed with the result of wasting fuel .

2.0tdi 184ps round town gets low 40's, flowing A roads mid to high 50's. Motorways usually low 50's.
So your numbers due to driving the city mostly seems fairly normal.
Warm weather, keeping up with traffic new record this week.... 73.6mpg over 21miles :surprise:

Attachments

• Audi 73.6 MPG record 2022_0621.jpg
    Audi 73.6 MPG record 2022_0621.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 67
I’ve been a little concerned lately. I have a 2018 2.0 TFSI remapped and I’m not sure if its my driving style (only put foot down 5% of the time), the journeys I make (usually a few miles but traffic lights and light traffic involved), the fuel (although i only use Tesco E10), my remap or since i changed spark plugs (which i noticed a drop in straight after they were put in) but I am really struggling to get 300 out of a full tank.

Now with E10 aka RON 97/99 being a little over £2 a litre now too, I really don’t know if there is something wrong with the car.

I always see people brag about even in petrols they can manage 40 even 50 mpg easily, even seen some S3 owners say they can get around 350 miles out of a tank. I’m lucky if I even manage 320 and this is someone that always drives in Eco too And sometimes use cruise control just to get those few extra miles in.

My dash shows I’ve averaged around 33.4 mpg over around 4500 miles but it doesnt feel like it and even that feels low. How do people get such high MPG’s???

I’ve been a little concerned lately. I have a 2018 2.0 TFSI remapped and I’m not sure if its my driving style (only put foot down 5% of the time), the journeys I make (usually a few miles but traffic lights and light traffic involved), the fuel (although i only use Tesco E10), my remap or since i changed spark plugs (which i noticed a drop in straight after they were put in) but I am really struggling to get 300 out of a full tank.

Now with E10 aka RON 97/99 being a little over £2 a litre now too, I really don’t know if there is something wrong with the car.

I always see people brag about even in petrols they can manage 40 even 50 mpg easily, even seen some S3 owners say they can get around 350 miles out of a tank. I’m lucky if I even manage 320 and this is someone that always drives in Eco too And sometimes use cruise control just to get those few extra miles in.

My dash shows I’ve averaged around 33.4 mpg over around 4500 miles but it doesnt feel like it and even that feels low. How do people get such high MPG’s???
Even commuting only 8 miles and some spirited driving my S3 with stage 1 regularly returns around 330 -350 miles from a tank of 95RON E10 and it works out around 27-29mpg. Around 2mpg less than the car calculates. I've never had less than 300 miles from a tank, perhaps I don't try hard enough.
My FWD 1.8 TFSI would regularly return a calculated 39mpg/indicated 41-42mpg and even showed 50mpg after one a long motorway drive. I believe when the 2.0 Miller cycle engine was introduced that replaced the 1.8 it was supposed to deliver better economy.
I'd get it checked out.

I've got a stage 1 mapped S3 and I get around 35-38mpg, a few time I've seen it peek at 40mpg.
Get around 425 miles from full tank sometimes so I think it really depends on your driving style, wear and tear on parts.

Get yourself an ODB dongle and app, or take it somewhere for a diagnostic scan. First port of call is to make sure you don't have any fault codes stored. Secondly, e10 tesco fuel is a bit crap put momentum in it, and give the ECU time to readjust.

To be honest, shorter journeys with a bit of stop start are terrible for economy so I'm not really surprised at your figures.

I've got a stage 1 mapped S3 and I get around 35-38mpg, a few time I've seen it peek at 40mpg.
Get around 425 miles from full tank sometimes so I think it really depends on your driving style, wear and tear on parts.
I've just done a two way 332 mile round trip to "the smoke" in a day and with fuel at the price it is, the speed cameras on the A1, and quiet Sunday roads, thought I would try an economy drive and brim to brim calculation.
Mode set to economy, cruise control set to 70mph and gentle acceleration (well, maybe just a few torquey pulls) Tesco E10, and 110miles range left showing in the tank at the end of the drive. 41.65 litres to re-fill @ £1.897/litre
The results were...

Car figure 37.4 mpg
Brim to brim calculated 36.2 mpg.
Not too bad.

I won't be repeating the trial and can only conclude if your driving style is regularly returning this economy from an S3 you'd have been better off buying a 1.6 diesel and enjoying 60+mpg.

Hi everyone, I’m driving the 2016 8v 1.6tdi 110bhp model for 50 miles daily (25-25) and I’m averaging an MPG of 40 mpg on the way out and 45mpg on way back home.

I’m wondering is there anything I should be worried about this mpg or it is completely normal? The reason why I’m asking this is because officially the mpg listed is around 70mpg but I never even get around 60mpg even when I went to the airport which is mostly motorway.

For more info, I drive mostly in city with average traffic conditions and there is a bit of motorway.
I do launches every now and then during the journey as well.

Standard tyres with appropriate tyre pressure, recently had serviced and oil changed.
Fuel: standard diesel (fuel save)
Check your air filter , Diesels like clean air to run economically

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I've just done a two way 332 mile round trip to "the smoke" in a day and with fuel at the price it is, the speed cameras on the A1, and quiet Sunday roads, thought I would try an economy drive and brim to brim calculation.
Mode set to economy, cruise control set to 70mph and gentle acceleration (well, maybe just a few torquey pulls) Tesco E10, and 110miles range left showing in the tank at the end of the drive. 41.65 litres to re-fill @ £1.897/litre
The results were...

Car figure 37.4 mpg
Brim to brim calculated 36.2 mpg.
Not too bad.

I won't be repeating the trial and can only conclude if your driving style is regularly returning this economy from an S3 you'd have been better off buying a 1.6 diesel and enjoying 60+mpg.
I constantly drive in Dynamic, hate the economy mode with it going out of gear etc. I do drive it lively sometimes as there's a lot of modified cars around where I live.