A3 8Y Retrofits by Rocket Wires - Puddle Lights etc.

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
We had our our A3 8Y in for some retrofits this week, we have many 8P's and 8V's (and also many other Audi models) come to us for retrofits so it was great to finally work on an 8Y.

The customer had asked for the following:

Front and rear OOOO logo puddle lights (we only supply and fit genuine Audi logo lights)
Front and rear LED red warning lights
Brighter front footwell lights

With the 8Y front puddle lights are standard from factory whereas the rears are not therefore a wiring harness is required. The door cards have the slot for the red warning lights (the red reflector fitted as standard to the door card is a plastic reflector that is replaced with a light housing) however a very minor modification to the door card internally is required for the red warning light to be fitted.

In the next few weeks we shall be fitting a power tail gate to this 8Y along with heated steering wheel.

2090543D DB92 408D 98E6 A49CA7AAF5BACA7CC316 F2D6 47A9 95F5 5C49B8F75D3BC5409AD4 F4DA 49B1 9749 D1EE2EE4D9F8751544DD 4F70 4B33 B58D 224DF58D1DD198B8B6F8 5531 4945 A01E E5FB8AE2B6612758C9EB 546A 4A72 8654 2A5FFF53840D2CA00F92 EDAF 4F15 9E12 54466127CF4AA3A5058B 75D2 4163 BF6F 143D0C13E315

Last edited:
Would you be able to retrofit the interior ambient lighting?
This is possible yes. We have fitted the RGB OEM multicolour kit to a number of Q7's and A4's using genuine Audi parts so it operates exactly like it would do if fitted at factory.

Video of the kit - Click here

Audi upgrades are our partner company who cover the South for retrofits.

Last edited:
What we don't do is fit the cheap LED kits which are bought from amazon and ebay which are a plastic tube which is squashed between the trim panels, we only fit OEM lighting kits.

Okay, thanks. I have tried to access the link provided but it’s not working. Do you have a rough price estimate for carrying out this work?

No sure why the link doesn't work - try this one:

Click here

Cost wise the parts alone are approximately £1000 - it’s all new door trims, additional light housings, bespoke wiring harnesses and then labour on top. The Q7 takes about 12-14hrs to carry out so best part of 2 days including all the coding.

Last edited:
Do you sell the wiring harness adapter kit for the rear door red lights? Think it would be worth while doing a few kits containing the harness where you plug it into the bottom door light and then the original al light back in and then an extra one to supply the red lights. Then the 4 x red light housings.
I had similar on my golf mk5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you sell the wiring harness adapter kit for the rear door red lights? Think it would be worth while doing a few kits containing the harness where you plug it into the bottom door light and then the original al light back in and then an extra one to supply the red lights. Then the 4 x red light housings.
I had similar on my golf mk5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes we do.

There are 2 types of kits we do, one for vehicles which have puddle lights fitted as standard and one kit which is for vehicles without puddle lights fitted.

Feel free to send us an email and I can run through the options with you - sales@rocketwires.co.uk

Reactions: Q5 TRS
How much is the power tailgate retrofit?
This depends on where the parts are sourced from, if sourced from Audi parts brand new then the parts alone will come to about £1200-£1500.

If sourced used then the price of the parts will be about half and then there will be the cost of the wiring harness and fitting.

Ordered some, extra bright LED for 4 door saloon, will upload some pics when doing it!

Our s3 just arrived and doesn't have any puddle lights, we speced the interior light upgrade package but it was discontinued the day after we ordered, any reason why I don't have any puddle lights or the red lights? Do you sell a harness for these ? Where does it plug into?

Our s3 just arrived and doesn't have any puddle lights, we speced the interior light upgrade package but it was discontinued the day after we ordered, any reason why I don't have any puddle lights or the red lights? Do you sell a harness for these ? Where does it plug into?

Puddle lights are in the base spec of the car rather than as part of the interior light upgrade package. Are there no lights in the bottom of the doors at all? If your just missing the S3 projection onto the ground then the dealer has forgotten to fit them.

Audi replaced the illuminated red door lights with reflectors ages ago as part of its cost saving measures, you can buy a kit that piggy backs of the puddle lights if you want to replace these. Just have a look at the website - Robins kits are excellet

Reactions: RobinA3
Puddle lights are in the base spec of the car rather than as part of the interior light upgrade package. Are there no lights in the bottom of the doors at all? If your just missing the S3 projection onto the ground then the dealer has forgotten to fit them.

Audi replaced the illuminated red door lights with reflectors ages ago as part of its cost saving measures, you can buy a kit that piggy backs of the puddle lights if you want to replace these. Just have a look at the website - Robins kits are excellet
I have nothing there at all just a blank, they supposedly stopped the lights when we ordered them? Strange tho as I have a set of audi rings in the glove box that were meant to be fitted. I popped the door card off but there's nothing there

I have nothing there at all just a blank, they supposedly stopped the lights when we ordered them? Strange tho as I have a set of audi rings in the glove box that were meant to be fitted. I popped the door card off but there's nothing there
that’s odd as they are still showing on the configurator

that’s odd as they are still showing on the configurator
It the same on our lastest Edition 1, just missed out. We mentioned it to the dealer that it still shows in configurator but when you try you can't no longer select the option and says "no longer available".
Lucky it was part of the deal so they retro fitted them.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I have spoken to our Audi UK contact and he confirmed that they have been deleted from the vehicles due to cost cutting, we have kits for retrofitting these lights to both front and rear doors.

Also just to add that footwell lights have also been deleted which is something we can offer too.

Reactions: Rick_RS4
It the same on our lastest Edition 1, just missed out. We mentioned it to the dealer that it still shows in configurator but when you try you can't no longer select the option and says "no longer available".
Lucky it was part of the deal so they retro fitted them.

We got our money back for the lights and £250 as a sweetener, would have preferred the light tbh, how did you get them ? Did they suggest it ?

We got our money back for the lights and £250 as a sweetener, would have preferred the light tbh, how did you get them ? Did they suggest it ?
We had the money back and some extra for not having the pack and had the lights retro fitted and a small glove box as a sweetener. We asked why it wasn't mentioned and they said they would do it for us.

We had the money back and some extra for not having the pack and had the lights retro fitted and a small glove box as a sweetener. We asked why it wasn't mentioned and they said they would do it for us.

Ah ok, I might call them up tomorrow and see, it is dark in there compared to the 8v but I think it will be difficult to get them to do it now we have the car , they told us day before collection, who was it that you bought yours from

Ah ok, I might call them up tomorrow and see, it is dark in there compared to the 8v but I think it will be difficult to get them to do it now we have the car , they told us day before collection, who was it that you bought yours from
Might be difficult to do after taking ownership, we agreed a deal before the handover. Good luck you never know.

Has anybody fitted these additional boot lights to an 8Y says they fit all Audi and VW but no fitting instructions.
also does anybody have a parts diagram of both sides of the boot upper trims that these would fit into, as i would like to look at options of fitting these lights as the plain fittings in the boot, look the same as the ones online, also to see how it all comes apart to fit.
TIA