A3 => A5 How Many?

As an A3 owner are you considering an A5 Coupe?

• The what?

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Beggar off, it's a lard barge in fat tart's clothes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • alt.binaries.a5.erotic here I come ... oh yeah baby!

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TuffLittleUnit

Reaction score
So, I'd sworn I wasn't going to have another Audi after my A3 (alright but £25k for a NOISY hatch is way over-priced) and I was thinking of either going for another Volvo (don't judge until you've had one of the new ones) or maybe a BMW Coupe.

I started telling all my friends and colleagues how disappointed I was and how I'd never have another Audi.

Then I saw the A5 ... and it's starting price.

Just wondered how many other A3 owners are cooing over the A5 and intend to get one. I'd submit a poll if I could work out how to actually label the options.

I intend to get one in around 3-4 years time when they bring out a 4cyl Diesel version :)

Terrible really, I'm only picking up my new car tomorrow!! :eek:

I'd consider one.

Not a base 1.8TFSI though, but a mid range 3.2 or 3.6. :hubbahubba:

Cost wise including xenons, 19" wheels, Magnetic Ride, DAB and a few other bits and bobs then I'm probably looking at circa £35 grand.

Not bad, I'd say.

Just in case the poll options don't make sense...

lard barge = large automobile driven by obese gentlemen with a persipration problem

fat tart's clothes = unsuitable clothing for an oversize female, generally constrictive of movement and featuring primary/flourescent colours and fake animal print (leopard/zebra/jersey cow)

alt.binaries.a5.erotic = "sexy" [unknown origin - can anyone elaborate?]

vagman said:
I'd consider one.

Magnetic Ride

Magnetic Ride? Wossat? I've got to have it whatever - sounds great. Sounds like it should be on one of those Japanese trains that was always on Tomorrow's World in the 70's/80's. If I get Magnetic Ride will I be able to recharge my lightsabre from the internal 12v power supply (used to be called a "cigarette lighter")?

Sorry - what is magnetic ride? (I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I?)

TuffLittleUnit said:
Magnetic Ride? Wossat? I've got to have it whatever - sounds great. Sounds like it should be on one of those Japanese trains that was always on Tomorrow's World in the 70's/80's. If I get Magnetic Ride will I be able to recharge my lightsabre from the internal 12v power supply (used to be called a "cigarette lighter")?

Sorry - what is magnetic ride? (I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I?)

Actually, I dunno if Magnetic Ride is gonna be an option with the A5/S5. There was no mention of it in the Audi Press Release.

Here,read all about it

It's also available as an option on the R8.

Audi AG Press Release re A5/S5

001__scaled_600_094.jpg

002__scaled_600-1_007.jpg

:hubbahubba:

Am I the only one that has a suspicion that the new A4 will look identical, but with 4 doors?

I'd have one too, but I'd keep our Sportback probably, as its our only car right now and I reckon the A5 won't swallow all my son's bits and pieces.

Never thought I've have to say that!

Beautiful the S5, something to look up when to replace my S3, having said that I'm having a look in the new M3 coupé as well... S5 very nice though...

Pedro

vagman said:
I'd consider one.

Not a base 1.8TFSI though, but a mid range 3.2 or 3.6. :hubbahubba:

Cost wise including xenons, 19" wheels, Magnetic Ride, DAB and a few other bits and bobs then I'm probably looking at circa £35 grand.

Not bad, I'd say.

Where have you seen these prices????

its nice but could have been much nicer not aggressive enough imo

vagman said:
Nothing official from AUK as yet, but Top Gear suggest that prices will start at £30k following information from an Audi source.read article here

Lots more chat and gossip here

And here

n.b. you will have to register to be able to read the threads.

interesting as apparently autocar said £25k starting (although haven't got a link) and that seems to be what people are assuming above?

I'm considering an S5, also looking at used RS4's as my next car on finance.

The only worry I have about the S5 is the length, it's longer and wider than a B7 A4 and has a much longer wheel base.

I'm guessing the S5 will start at around £42/43k

I was working on the £25k starting price quoted by whatcar but thought this would be low even for the 1.8 when it finally came out. I'm assuming low thirties for the 2.7 diesel.

Prices are out

Petrol
Engine Transmission Recommended OTR Mar 2006 Launch
3.2FSI 265PS Multitronic £33,205 Aug-07
4.2FSI S5 354PS Manual £40,025 Jul-07

Diesel
2.7 TDI DPF 190PS Manual £30,175 Sep-07
3.0 TDI DPF 240PS Manual £33,410 Jul-07

I can see a few people noth even bothering with the 3.2, by the time you spec it up you may as well just get the S5

seriously thinking about it - just cant justify getting an S3 at the moment over my 3.2, but the S5? different proposition!

onianbag said:
seriously thinking about it - just cant justify getting an S3 at the moment over my 3.2, but the S5? different proposition!

I'm in a similar position it seems. Just can't quite figure out whether I'd rather have a used RS4 saloon or the S5, prices should be roughly the same.

The recent geneva photos of the S5 don't look that hot to me, I'm not digging the bling wheels.

mark88 said:
I'm in a similar position it seems. Just can't quite figure out whether I'd rather have a used RS4 saloon or the S5...

RS 4

mark88 said:
Prices are out

Petrol
3.2FSI 265PS Multitronic £33,205 Aug-07
4.2FSI S5 354PS Manual £40,025 Jul-07

Diesel
2.7 TDI DPF 190PS Manual £30,175 Sep-07
3.0 TDI DPF 240PS Manual £33,410 Jul-07

I can see a few people noth even bothering with the 3.2, by the time you spec it up you may as well just get the S5

where did you see the prices? was the 1.8T not with them?

based on those prices, the 1.8T should be affordable..

dm_irish said:
where did you see the prices? was the 1.8T not with them?

based on those prices, the 1.8T should be affordable..

Official Audi UK press release. 1.8T won't be available until later on.

mark88 said:
Official Audi UK press release. 1.8T won't be available until later on.

yeah found it over on tyresmoke, thats weird since only last week they were saying it would be one of the first engines.

I'd say in Ireland it may come sooner as the price shoots up so much with engine size..

TuffLittleUnit said:
I'm assuming low thirties for the 2.7 diesel.

Wow! If the info provided by mark88 is correct then the 2.7TDi really is LOW thirties and if shipping starts in late 07 this fits beautifully with the return of my current company car ... even accounting for the usual Audi delivery fukups. It's all looking too good to be true...

Irish said:
I would've thought they'd be more into the 2.0T for it?

reports are there will be no 2.0T version, just the new 1.8T, which is pretty close to the same spec as the 2.0T..

C_Audiboy said:
1.8T in a big lump like that would be *****. It'll have something like 180BHP?

170bhp, won't be speedy but should be alright. In Ireland at least it would likely be in the 50k euro range, whereas the other engines size would put them in the 65k plus range...