A3 Avant from newest Auto Express

yak

Reaction score
Has anyone read the newest magazine and saw those pictures? The net seems to be full of edited pictures, but I got the impression these would be real ones. If so, does anyone have any scanned images?

Then again, new A3 with A6 grille. Yaiks, maybe I don't want to see them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. But isn't A3 Avant competing with A4 Avant? Their price will be about the same, what's the point?

- Yak

I saw the pics in Auto Express and thought 'what's the point?' The A3 is not much smaller than the A4 in the first place, so to make an avant version is going to be close to the A4. Surely the point of an avant (or any estate for that matter) is to be a usable load carrier when required. To me, this would be direct competition between both the A3 and A4. On the other hand I am sure Audi would have researched the markets and wouldn't build a vehicle they couldn't sell, would they???

I have the photo in front of me, and I have to say it just looks like a 5 door hatch :/.

Dan

Could it be the basis for a RS3? You know how Audi like RS avants? I dunno, just a wild guess!

Almost definitely, but I'd expect some kind of subtle body alterations on an RS model. The original S3 looks distinctly different to an original A3 in my opinion.

Dan

In the pic it says "des Sportback um zwei weitere versionen erweitert werden" Which means that the Sportback has..."two further versions to be extended" so that COULD indeed hint that a Turbo charged 3.2 could be well on it's way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

It looks like a damn A2 with attitude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Maybe it will look better in the flesh

Woohoo another VAG turbo engine!! FINALLY! (2.0 FSi Turbo)

Actually, I like the German photo a little more. Looks more characterful than the one in AutoExpress for some reason.

Dan

The interesting question to my mind, the Avante doesn't look to have any more of a rear overhang to the 3dr. So presumably the wheelbase is extended? This might improve the handling characteristics perhaps?

Dan