A3 B&O sub woofer

PDA3

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi all, great forum!

A3 S line 1.4cod due for delivery next week. Extras include tech pack and b&o stereo in conjunction with space saver spare wheel as a) I wanted a space saver and b) when I ordered it said the two had to be selected together.

After some googling of photos I'm worried that with a space saver in the boot there won't be room for the sub. Guess I'm worrying because the other half collected her a1 the other month with the AUDI sound system and I can't locate the sub, so got me thinking they didn't fit one and my a3 may follow suit! The dealer couldn't find the sub in the a1 either but assured me it existed because there is a sub option on the stereo.

Essentially, anyone got an a3 with b&o and a space saver? Where is the sub located?

Any reassurance appreciated!

Paul

Don't worry, the sub is specifically designed to fit on top of the space saver, and that's where it will be when you collect the car. (Unless you have a saloon)

Sub

Just curious, is a spare wheel now an optional extra? It was standard 6 months when I ordered. And if you don't get a spare wheel, what would they do with the sub?

Mine looks the same as snakehips. The B&O is fantastic and I'm sure you'll be pleased with your choice.

Wow the reassurance I needed within a few minutes! Thanks snakehips!

The space saver was a free option with the b & o.

Ps is the b&o as good as I'm hoping?!

Not sure what you're hoping! But it really is very good. Needs tweaking from factory settings though. Normally that at least involves turning up the bass.

Reactions: driver_tim
I wouldn't mind hearing the B&O system but coming from a car that has been "pimped" with a pretty sweet sound system I'm not sure how it will compare. I will probably end up speccing it because I'm not sure I want to blow another 2k fitting a system into a brand new car, and certainly I'm not wasting several weekends dynamatting the hell out it!

Just curious, is a spare wheel now an optional extra? It was standard 6 months when I ordered. And if you don't get a spare wheel, what would they do with the sub?

That's why you have to have the spacesaver with either the audi sound system or b&o. Though when I ordered it was standard on all cars as well. At least it's free when you have to have it!

Weird as partners a1 didn't have the choice for space saver and can't find a sub (***)! Not fair to just not instal a sub surely?!

Weird as partners a1 didn't have the choice for space saver and can't find a sub (***)! Not fair to just not instal a sub surely?!

Is it built into either side of the boot? I've seen that on a few car models, hidden behind trim.

I guess it could be but not taken the panels off to check. Tbh she can't tell if there's a sub or not! Still sounds good

Put a Pendulum CD in the car, turn the volume up and stick your head in the boot... that should help you find the sub / figure out if it has one :)

Thats the quick and easy test, but my guess would be it's an 8 inch compact sub hidden behind the trim on one of the sides.

theres a video on youtube somewhere of the b&o system in an 8v it sounds very good in the video but im sure it will be 1000x better in person

theres a video on youtube somewhere of the b&o system in an 8v it sounds very good in the video but im sure it will be 1000x better in person

How can a video on youtube tell you whether the sound system sounds good? There are so many variables that it just boggles my mind thinking about it... but I am a bit of an audio nut, I think my sound system in my car is probably worth as much as the car now :unsure:

Fair point, having installed numerous sound systems for people and taking into account the HD quality of the video, and remembering it is still a video, the clarity and overall sound output is very good, im very aware hearing it in person is far more beneficial, but have purchased audio equipment for both car and home based on videos people have taken and posted on youtube.

I think before I order later this year I'll have to try and find someone with the B&O system to give it a listen before ordering it, my ideal would just be to roll my own system with the kit from my current car and probably a few extra speakers, but not sure that would go down so well with Audi warranty if I ever had any electrical issues.

No, if you have the audi sound system, you should have a sub. If you don't, kick up a HUGE fuss!

I wouldn't mind hearing the B&O system but coming from a car that has been "pimped" with a pretty sweet sound system I'm not sure how it will compare. I will probably end up speccing it because I'm not sure I want to blow another 2k fitting a system into a brand new car, and certainly I'm not wasting several weekends dynamatting the hell out it!

The B&O may not compare to your pimped car. I had Focal in my previous car and the detail in the music was much better. For factory B&O is ok. But the A3/S3 setup is at the bottom of B&O's own range.

That at being said people coming from other stock systems will be very happy.

Spacedude22:2097561 said:

The B&O may not compare to your pimped car. I had Focal in my previous car and the detail in the music was much better. For factory B&O is ok. But the A3/S3 setup is at the bottom of B&O's own range.

Interesting to note you had Focals. I have those in my outgoing Golf GTi along with two amps, crossovers, subs etc.

As such I admitted defeat on the B&O, specced the *** and picked some other options with the money saved.

Plus...at 37 I'm not sure I need the volume or bass these days! My Golf setup is rarely used to its full capability.

I think the major downside to going the DIY route is the risk of them voiding warranty on anything electrical. My current car is mostly Rainbow (speakers and amp), JBL sub and an Eclipse head unit... I blew a work bonus on it about 6 years ago, it's done me quite well, in fact I'd go as far as to say my car audio is as good if not better than my home hifi. The Eclipse head unit was way beyond anything else on the market at the time, dunno how it compares these days though, I think it was about £400 alone.

I think the major downside to going the DIY route is the risk of them voiding warranty on anything electrical. My current car is mostly Rainbow (speakers and amp), JBL sub and an Eclipse head unit... I blew a work bonus on it about 6 years ago, it's done me quite well, in fact I'd go as far as to say my car audio is as good if not better than my home hifi. The Eclipse head unit was way beyond anything else on the market at the time, dunno how it compares these days though, I think it was about £400 alone.

Yeah DIY is a bit of a pain. I think I'll leave the b&o in for a while.

I got the *** and I´m quite satisfied. But no space saver wheel for me, only a compressor and some sticky thing. I forgot that I had to order the space saver wheel separately.

I got the *** and I´m quite satisfied. But no space saver wheel for me, only a compressor and some sticky thing. I forgot that I had to order the space saver wheel separately.

So where's your sub???
Or do you have a saloon?

in the same place as yours, only it sits alone in the spare wheel well. Got a sportback.

and the funny thing is, if I want a spare wheel, they will have to rebuild it for much more than it would have cost me to order it!

They've changed the online configurator now so you have to select spare wheel with b&o