A3 electric window fault (I have searched)

monster_munch

Reaction score
My 53 plate A3 2.0 TDI has recently started having a problem with the passenger electric window, or rather the switch for it on the drivers side door.

I have done a search and seen e/w are a common problem, but mine doesnt seem to have the usual symptoms.

The passenger electric window operates fine from the passenger switch. However, on the driver side, funky things are happening.
When I 1/2 click the switch (to partially go down) nothing happens. When I fully click the switch (for it to automatically fully go down) it works and can then be stopped by selecting up.
However, when trying to raise the window, if I select fully up on the switch, the window only travels up an inch or so then stops, so I have to do this a few times to fully close it.

The drivers side window operates fine, and the passengers side window operates fine from the passenger switch.

I have tried to reset the switches (operating the windows then holding the switch down for a few seconds) but it makes no difference.

I have a 7 day road trip to France coming up soon, so keen to get the problem solved, but also dont want to take it to the dealers and get ripped off if I can get some initial diagnosis done myself.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Just a bit more information after some more fault investigation (sitting in my car pressing the switches).

When I use the keyfob feature to unlock the car and open the windows and vice versa, it works fine.

When both driver and passenger windows are operated, the drivers side lowers slightly quicker than the passengers.

And finally, just noticed tonight, there is a very slight squak/squeal coming from inside the passenger door when the switch is operated to open/close the window, presumably from the elctric window mechanism.

I have an Autel VAG405 maxscan reader and there are no stored fault codes.

Mine does it on the drivers window...

Faulty switch/dirty contacts, I keep meaning to take it apart and clean it

Either that or buy a new switch

My driver side always goes up 3/4 then says naaaaah. stops and goes down an inch and stops.

Just call it character. Be boring if a car didn't have some :)

My driver side always goes up 3/4 then says naaaaah. stops and goes down an inch and stops.

Just call it character. Be boring if a car didn't have some :)

My passenger one does that :) I will probably mention it when it goes in for a service as I can't be bothered to go to the delaers.

Mind you, I have that small problem, plus one of my keys doesn't spring open anymore and a rattle from the speak on the drivers door... so I'm getting a little stack of issues that might make it a worthwhile trip I suppose....

I dont mind too much, although it's not even a few years old, it's a 2012 car!!!

You'd have thought with all these many millions of the 8P variant produced, they could at least make the window go up and down properly!

ahh well!

:0 Yeah mine is only 12 months old now, odd that it appeasr to be a moderately comon issue, I wonder what it is that goes wrong.

It's a it like my DIS randomly resetting it's average mpg calculation... everything else is fine, just that one reading resets every few days... weird.

Mind you, if that's the worst of it...

If I take it to Audi they'll go on a pointless road test and rag the **** out of it.

+ then probably try and charge me for it!!

Rather spend 2 seconds more clicking the window switch!!

when the motor faults like this try adapting it by holding the down all the way untill the window hits the bottom then hold for 5 seconds and do the same all the way up and hold for 5 seconds, this should also sort out your comfort windows feature

I tried the reset procedure on mine, it says in the manual to do it for more than 1 second (which didn't make any difference), I don't think I did it as much as 5 seconds though...

[Edit] I did it again, only this time I held on for a bit longer than I thought I needed to and it worked. w00t :rock:

Last edited:
monster munch - as Boon says it'll be dirty contacts. You need to take the door card off to take the switch module out from the inside then take the offending switch off to clean the contacts.

An update - I have stripped and cleaned my switches today and all is working perfect

I got some switch cleaning lube from Maplins, small squirt in each switch once the rocker cover was removed and worked them for a couple of minutes before putting back together. 30 minute job as I'd never had the door card off before, will be quicker and easier on the other doors (if they play up I'm not doing them for the sake of it!)

I reset mine last week, which cured it for me, but then it's now gone back to doing the stopping two-thirds up thing... I guess I'll have to let Audi look at it when it goes in for service...

Had this issue with my 8l s3. It was the nylon clips that slide on the runners. You can find them on ebay and are easily replaceable if you are Mechanically minded. The reason why, when closing your window, it will either just stop or stop and drop down a bit is because these nylon parts are worn and there is too much friction/resistance....as a safety feature (if fingers get jammed in windows) the motor has a max torque and will see this as an obstruction for it to close and will open back up.

Change the nylon parts and jobs a goodun. Be sure to lubricate the runners and part with silicon spray or ptfe spray.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Hey there, I know this is an old post but the 'symptoms' of my car are slightly different and I'd like to know if my motor AND regulator both need replacing.

So my driver's window is rolling up very slowly (earlier it was rolling back down by itself). At one point it stopped completely and I had to force it up while holding the switch, this scratched my tint leaving a very thin line which is quite annoying... I took my door trim off and noticed that the 'safety feature' is engaging and the sensors/springs are under a lot of torque. I left my car for a few hours, came back and it now winds up very slowly but fully without assistance (I also lubed it with silicone). It seems the motor was quite hot after a bit of mucking about with it so I guess letting it rest gave it enough power. The scratched tint made me think there could be something stuck somewhere? What I'm wondering is if my motor is just really old and dying or my regulator with the plastic clips need fixing too. I have an A3 2001 8L...

Cheers.