Facelift A3 facelift led headlight unit

Krv8_9

Reaction score
Hello all just wondering if anyone has had experience of actually getting inside one of these units.

Long story short late January I had a slight bump with a wall while driving down a hill (snows fault) anyway what looked like just facial damage to the driver side I had the car repaired by a friend who is trained in repairing body work. Few weeks later I got the car back fully repaired or so I thought. My friend pointed out that the bracket which is inside the bonnet which attaches the headlight unit to the chassis was slightly cracked due to the impact.

Although the headlight worked for a few weeks I suddenly get a error on the dash "adaptive headlight fault" and the driver side headlight main beam stopped working. Booked the car into Audi to see if they could see where the fault lied, due to work and travel commitments this process had to wait some time of which obviously I wasn’t using the car so had no great rush to be booked in. The day came and Audi had said that the had found faults on gff to replace both headlamp control units J1023 and J1018. Although the passenger side is working perfectly and have never had a issue. Knowing the passenger side worked I decided to switch the control units, but they only power the drls and indicators so nothing changed. Next thing I done was put the passenger side main beam ballast on the driver side which it then worked and put the drivers side to the passenger side and that headlamp now didn’t work. So my thinking process was buy a new ballast.

Managed to get a second hand one off eBay and fit it to the driver side and now made it work but the next day for the the error reappeard and the headlamp to not work again. I have now decided to order a brand new ballast and fit that this weekend to hopefully fix the issue or tell me that it’s a wiring issue between the headlamp and ballast to cause these ballasts to fail. Reason I haven’t allowed Audi to just carry out the work is they are just far too expensive, and would rather use that money to buy a brand new headlight unit if needed. Any help or thoughts is much appreciated.

Just take it to a reputable Indy and get the job done properly. At least that’s what I’d do.