A3 Install pics - part 1

Dean_T

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
well i finally got my backside into gear to start my install

part 1 consists of power cabling and signal cable running;

power cable, 0 guage was my weapon of choice - reason being i want to keep voltage high and the amount of amps i will potentially be running 4 guage wouldnt be safe

the first (and probably hardest) thing to do was to find a route for the 0 guage through the firewall into the cabin

at one point i thought about running the cable under the car but in all honesty i didnt want the hassle of going this route

luckily i stumbled upon a thread on talkaudio where a guy had run 0 guage through an A3 and found a gromit which was hidden away - so im not about to take the credit for finding this most excellent cable route /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

anyway enough jabbering, time for some pics;

as with everything i like to keep things as neat as possible so if i can cut down on exposed cable then thats a bonus, so i took the following route - up through the 'cable protector';

413751_102_full.jpg

onwards we go to the hidden gromit;
413751_103_full.jpg

this is the location of the gromit, next to the pollen filter - a bit tough to photo due to the position;
413751_104_full.jpg

this is what i attached to the cable to push/pull it through the hole;
413751_105_full.jpg

and this is where the cable comes out the other side of the gromit;
413751_106_full.jpg

a bit of a mess! note the cables coming out from below the ashtray/cig lighter - these are for a voltmeter, which (when i get it) will keep me informed of the amp voltages - just a bit of forewarning to stop any low voltage 'issues';
413751_107_full.jpg

the route i chose for the RCAs;
413751_108_full.jpg

413751_109_full.jpg

stay tuned for part 2, which will be soundproofing - i already made a start on it but its not finished so you'll have to wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

well, hopefully this may be of some use to some of you folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Cool mate.

I've never seen that grommet before, but good find.

Is it the the perfect size for it then? Or did it involve cutting into the grommet to get it to fit?

Also that's not my choice of routes for RCA, but there you go.

this is quality stuff!!!

is going to be on my favourites list. will get round to mine soon hopefully!

Get another of those directed amps that you had deano, you know you want to!

a gromit needs removing and the hole is slightly larger than 0 guage - i used some dynamat extreme to fashion a new gromit as such and seal it

which way would you have gone Mark? just out of interest? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Raj, i have something much, much better than the directed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

UsAmps MD2D amp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Tru 4.65 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

soundproofing is going well, had my Brax come through today too

just need to work out where to put the remote gain control and the control for the Epicenter

no way. can't wait to see how it'll look. hopefully you'll have it sorted by T12!

[ QUOTE ]

which way would you have gone Mark? just out of interest? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which way am I going? or which way would I have recommended before seeing this?

I have already spoken to my local audio shop where my wealth of knowledge works and we are going to run the cable under the car.

Although I would have recommended before reading this that you bring the wire through the grommet on the fuse box on the drivers side.

I ran mine down that whole too... Its the best and easiest thing to use as long as you seal it up well after

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
no way. can't wait to see how it'll look. hopefully you'll have it sorted by T12!

[/ QUOTE ]

looks, probably mediocre lol

streetbass wobble, hopefully lots! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i have enquired about getting some kick builds done too, probably wont be until the start of next month as the shop is underway doing a demo vehicle

more than happy to wait as they have some serious FG talent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

fingers crossed should be ready for T12

still need a few bits though, new battery - im thinking a redflash 3500 and subs, not 100% sure yet but most likely either two 10s or a single 12 of some description

but we'll see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

Im going to be doing this on my car soon, the pics are very handy. Thanks. I suspect the lad i bought my car off used this hole too as i recently got a little water in the footwell after washing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What is the prefered method for rca cable routing?

Many thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
I have already spoken to my local audio shop where my wealth of knowledge works and we are going to run the cable under the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that Jon Griggs? not too sure what shop he works at though!

in the first post you mentioned you would run the RCAs differently, i asked where, now you mentioned you have been advised to run under the car, i assume you're talking about power cable now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is that Jon Griggs? not too sure what shop he works at though!

in the first post you mentioned you would run the RCAs differently, i asked where, now you mentioned you have been advised to run under the car, i assume you're talking about power cable now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is indeed Jon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif How did you know that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry dude yeah I was refering to the power cable.

I have run some Autoleads RCA's at the mo, but I will be upgrading to Streetwires when funds allow.

As for the RCA routing I have run them straight down the centre under the carpet as there are no wires or anything to cause interferance.

Still trying to work out how you knew I was on about Jon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

lol Mark, im a mind reader /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i know a guy from Stoke who uses Jon, hes pretty well regarded so i just took a guess that you were talking about him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lol Mark, im a mind reader /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i know a guy from Stoke who uses Jon, hes pretty well regarded so i just took a guess that you were talking about him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't think of his name, but the one with the BMW or Thuglife or whatever his name is?

Oh yeah Jon is a top bloke who will offer help and advice and I get on well with him.