A3 & S3 - Rear Sensors 07 onwards pics please

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm looking into a new bumper but as usual etka is contradicting itself & me/parts are scratching our ever more less hairy heads as we checked a car that clearly has small sensors on an 08 car but etka says it has the older bumper, arrrgghhhhhh which I know is 100% wrong.

So my polite request is, can anyone with an A3 show us a pic of your rear bumper with smaller sensors that I'm sure started in 07-08ish

Thanks in advance.

There a few on ebay. After clicking to enlarge photo not sure if the pics will be good enough for your needs though...

07/57 plate:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-3-REAR-B...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b253f763

08 plate:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-Rear-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255be7d847

10 plate:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-Rear-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f018bbca5

There are a few more with parking sensors when searching for "a3 rear bumper".

EDIT: Nevermind.... thought you wanted to see the sensor holes. Re-read and saw you wanted to see the actual sensors! :blink:

Last edited:
MyA3.jpg

Let me know how you get on, its been confusing me too. I was going to buy that '10 bumper as linked above but i've looked under the back of mine and I dont think the wiring would stretch up high enough to locate my original sensors up at the facelifts level. (was going to make the holes bigger to fit my older sensors)

I dont want to fork out for new bumper, sensors and wiring as that will be a fortune!

Are those the larger sensors N8 & any closer pics please.

N8's are the smaller ones for sure.

As far as I am aware, only facelift smooth bumpered S lines, S3's and all 08 facelifts have the smaller ones so its feasable that a 57 plate 1.6SE would have the older type sensors if you know what I mean?

N8's are the smaller ones for sure.

As far as I am aware, only facelift smooth bumpered S lines, S3's and all 08 facelifts have the smaller ones so its feasable that a 57 plate 1.6SE would have the older type sensors if you know what I mean?

Thats the issue though, me & parts for best part of few hours with several cars with smaller sensors show the bigger sensors supposedly on the car, it just doesnt make sense as I have various sensors here to compare & it shows the same bumper used for cars that have large & small sensors which is impossible.

:happy:

Thats the issue though, me & parts for best part of few hours with several cars with smaller sensors show the bigger sensors supposedly on the car, it just doesnt make sense as I have various sensors here to compare & it shows the same bumper used for cars that have large & small sensors which is impossible.

All those pics are of no help Nige?

When are the holes put in the bumper? At what stage of manufacture?

Think you have the larger sensors tbh, uurrgghh now I'm confused, nate me old cockle, can you possibly when you get a chance measure the sensor diameter as the older larger ones are 21mm across, newer are about 16-17.

it shows the same bumper used for cars that have large & small sensors which is impossible.

Why is it impossible? If they are cutting the holes after the bumper is made then surely they could cut either size hole, no?? Depending on the sensor they are going to use.
That's why I asked when the holes are put in the bumper.

Maybe i'm missing the point, if so it's all educational anyway.

Why is it impossible? If they are cutting the holes after the bumper is made then surely they could cut either size hole, no?? Depending on the sensor they are going to use.
That's why I asked when the holes are put in the bumper.

Maybe i'm missing the point, if so it's all educational anyway.

Holes are cut in factory, so parts have different numbers to distinguish as the sensor fixings are actually built into a new bumper, they're not available as a seperate part, which is tbh fecking crap, but guess they dont expect anyone to retrofit the oem kit.

Cheeky f**ker! Yes nige, I'll do it when I get a chance, inner part or out ring, or whole distance if u get me?

Both would be very much appreciated mate, also distance between the 2 rings, thanks in advance again.

Holes are cut in factory, so parts have different numbers to distinguish as the sensor fixings are actually built into a new bumper, they're not available as a seperate part, which is tbh fecking crap, but guess they dont expect anyone to retrofit the oem kit.

Ahhh, ok, makes sense now.
And yes.. fecking crap.

Just to confuse things a bit I think there were 3 sizes. My 8P1's sensors were definitely bigger than the 8P2's, which I'm sure are bigger than the 8P3's.

Think sensors maybe changed between lines tbh rather than facelifts as same bumpers are cropping up between 04-08, thats the issue here I have seen smaller sensors on a car that shouldnt have them & they're oem, need to goto audi to search stock for sensor types, sad but hey only 1 way to complete a task.

I have a set of the older (bigger) and the newer (smaller) sensors. My new rear bumper (08 or 09) will only accept the smaller ones, sadly my module will only accept the bigger ones. I'm drilling my smaller holes bigger so I can use my existing sensors!!!

Just a thought, I had heard you can get different thickness of rings that go around the sensors! Maybe these make up the difference in sizes! Just a thought!

I have a set of the older (bigger) and the newer (smaller) sensors. My new rear bumper (08 or 09) will only accept the smaller ones, sadly my module will only accept the bigger ones. I'm drilling my smaller holes bigger so I can use my existing sensors!!!

So whats your new bumper & smaller sensor part number, can you show me pics of sensors & bumper please, just buy a new controller & rewire it, dont drill out as smaller are nicer & discreet.

I had heard you can get different thickness of rings, Just a thought!

Oooohhh uuuhhhhhh

Oh also my old bumper is coming of with sensor fitted to if anyone's interested.

Dave over at Stoke Audi has told me you can't fit the smaller sensors to an older car as he mounting rings or something are only from the factory and there's no part code for em.

If you find a solution do let me know please. I want an '09 rear bumper on my car and I want the smaller OEM factory sensors on it.

Cheers nigel!

So whats your new bumper & smaller sensor part number, can you show me pics of sensors & bumper please, just buy a new controller & rewire it, dont drill out as smaller are nicer & discreet.

Right new bumpers not here at the mo, its in the paint shop but can get you the part number on that Wednesday unless you already get sorted.

Smaller sensors part number is 420 919 27S

I was told even if I got the new module that it still wouldnt work, as I did think about doing that. Easiest and quickest way for me was to drill bigger holes and use what I already have tbh. I will just need to yank the existing holders off the rear of my old bumper and plastic weld onto the new one. Hopefully job done!

BTW, these smaller sensors I have here are ringless and I cant find the part number for the rings at the mo but will keep looking.

I agree the newer ones are more discreet but I want the car finished so hey just dont look at its back lol!

if Dave's to be believed you're not gonna find the part code for the smaller rings cos there isn't one (see my post directly above yours)

Dave over at Stoke Audi has told me you can't fit the smaller sensors to an older car as he mounting rings or something are only from the factory and there's no part code for em.

If you find a solution do let me know please. I want an '09 rear bumper on my car and I want the smaller OEM factory sensors on it.

Dave is correct, the sensor brackets are only fitted at factory onto a new bumper, so either find a newer used or new bumper from audi for the smaller sensors.

or

I'm going slightly further forward & filling older holes, creating newer ones & then epoxying/sikaflexing them in place as I did on my previous bumper, not 1 problem since doing on non pdc bumper, work 100% & I expect new ones will do aswell.

So whats your new bumper & smaller sensor part number, can you show me pics of sensors & bumper please, just buy a new controller & rewire it, dont drill out as smaller are nicer & discreet

Smaller sensors part number is 420 919 27S

I was told even if I got the new module that it still wouldnt work, as I did think about doing that. Easiest and quickest way for me was to drill bigger holes and use what I already have tbh. I will just need to yank the existing holders off the rear of my old bumper and plastic weld onto the new one. Hopefully job done!

BTW, these smaller sensors I have here are ringless and I cant find the part number for the rings at the mo but will keep looking.

I agree the newer ones are more discreet but I want the car finished so hey just dont look at its back lol!

if Dave's to be believed you're not gonna find the part code for the smaller rings cos there isn't one (see my post directly above yours)

I suspect you mean 420919275 which has now superseded to the new ones I have 4H0919275A I'm using for front & rear.

Huh, what pratt told you newer module with newer sensors wouldnt work, some idiot by sounds of it.

The sensor brackets are stuck on with double sided sticky padded tape, no need for plastic welding & tbh sarah, I'd get newer module & rewire to suit as bumper is off, minor wiring change, module is almost plugnplay anyway, much better as smaller sensors are nicely discreet & alot better looking at, but do what you prefer of course.

The newer sensors do have a rubber ring round them btw which I got from audi no problem, but you wont get any fixings or brackets for them full stop from audi as a new part.

Last edited:
ok, dont shoot the messenger but this was the part number I was given for the rings!

they are 09+ sensors, there is a "o" ring the part number is 1T0 919 133 C showing a price of £0.05,

There are two sizes of sensors on the 8P A3/S3 - before 2008 they are the larger size, the others are the smaller post 2008 smaller size. They arent interchangeable without alteratons

Can we actually try & acheive the thread point, pics please.

Huh, what pratt told you newer module with newer sensors wouldnt work, some idiot by sounds of it.

The sensor brackets are stuck on with double sided sticky padded tape, no need for plastic welding & tbh sarah, I'd get newer module & rewire to suit as bumper is off, minor wiring change, module is almost plugnplay anyway, much better as smaller sensors are nicely discreet & alot better looking at, but do what you prefer of course.

The newer sensors do have a rubber ring round them btw which I got from audi no problem, but you wont get any fixings or brackets for them full stop from audi as a new part.

Well I would have gone the new module but told they were dear so sadly the bumpers probably already been drilled, darnt ask him lol! (I wasn't doing that bit. Knowing me, i'd have cracked it lol)

Shame as I agree the smaller ones look better but hey, least I have some eh! Although if Leas gets his way and talks me into a reverse camera lol!!!

they are 09+ sensors, there is a "o" ring the part number is 1T0 919 133 C showing a price of £0.05,

There are two sizes of sensors on the 8P A3/S3 - before 2008 they are the larger size, the others are the smaller post 2008 smaller size. They arent interchangeable without alteratons

The alterations are, instead of seperate wires to each sensor, so 12 wires to module, the 4 sensors share what I beleive is a positive & ground wire & then an individual signal wire to module from each sensor, so 6 wires, so you could actually join at the module & move pins/change plugs if neccessary, car loom wiring should be reusable.

hmm might have to have you fit sensors to my car when you do the wing mirrors then.

how's your wife? can't be long now!

sorry to bump this, but i've not had internet for the last 2 weeks, and wouldn't have had time to use it if i did have it!

if i have an aftermarket rear parking sensor system, are you able to retrofit the factory fitted one? my plan is to have the '09 bumper fitted with the sensors that come from the factory. would this be (easily) possible, or do you reckon i'm better off reusing the ones i already have? i really dislike them because they're not flush with the bodywork and quite sizeable. however they have more pleasing "beeps" than the factory fitted one i had in my 2005 model.

advice much appreciated!

S.