A3 sportline. Right price?

rockape

Per ardua
Reaction score
Hi everyone

First post on this site. Currently driving a mk2 Leon Cupra but looking at changing it for something with how shall we say....a better interior? As a member of seatcupra.net I am familiar with all things vag, particularly on the performance side. After a little browsing on here I have decided to look for an A3 in either 3 or 5 door as I like the look of both models. Unfortunately an S3 is out of my price range so looking at s-line models. I've seen the one below which to me looks a good price, almost too good from what I've seen elsewhere. The mileage is well above average but I could overlook that as I only cover about 6000 a year.

Elite Motor Company
08 A3 sportback S-line 2.0 TFSI
Full leather
upgraded alloys(bbs I think)
£12,395

Opinions greatly recieved. Thanks.

Andy

That sounds a great price but unlike your Seat which has a few options (i looked at one myself) the A3 comes with a huge amount of boxes to tick and the price between a fully loaded one and a basic one can be huge.

Heres some options to look out for on S lines

Full leather instead of standard half leather
RNS-e sat nav
bluetooth
CD changer or ipod
Bose
DSG or manual
5 spoke RS4 wheels or upgraded multispoke BBS
Roof rails
Panoramic sunroof on 5dr or normal sunroof on 3dr
Door trims in black or brushed alloy
Auto lights and wipers
Xenon lights
Rear parking sensors
auto fold mirrors

many more others may add. The best options for resale are the auto lights/wipers, RNS-E sat nav, Bose and Xenons. You will struggle to find many cars with the other options hoever a rare car occasionaly pops up with everything!

This one? Used Audi A3 Hatchback 2.0 T Fsi S Line 5dr Dsg | Elite Motor Company
Looks pretty sweet and quite low priced considering year. I know the miles are higher than average but most dealer will still put them up for £14K+. Advert says its still has dealer warranty and bbs speedlines so bonus. But if i was looking for another A3 id have to get xenons:happy: Looks like an tidy example, have you been to view it yet? Welcome to the forum aswell

Edit: Make sure the DSG been serviced aswell

Last edited:
looks like it's got DSG, full leather, Symphony II+, MFSW, privacy glass and BBS Speedlines

hmm... it's a good price for the car. i paid the same amount for my 2006/55 car with 21500mi-ish on the clock (extras listed in my sig). but that was from an Audi main dealer, and as such came with new tyres, a year's warranty and a free service

cheers for the advice guys and thanks for the welcome. Yes thats the one and it does look tidy. It does seem to have a few extras mentioned and DSG is a bonus but the only one I'll miss is the bluetooth tbh, oh and the extra 40 bhp lol. But thats just a remap as you know. I haven't been to see it yet but I'm going to give them a ring and sound them out first. Dont want to rush into it as I'm quite impulsive when it comes to buying cars lol.

Didn't know I could post links! Here's another which is only down the road:

2007 AUDI A3 2.0 T FSI S line

Last edited:
to give you a guide i paid just under £15k for my ibis white 2007 December 57 s line 2.0 tfsi dsg 3 door showing 38k 2 owners with a spec of the following,
Bose sound system
RNS-E sat nav
Full two tone Vienna Heated Leather
Bi-Xenon headlights
Auto Wipers/Lights
Coming and Leaving home
Anti-Dazzle Rear View And Wing Mirrors
Electric Fold Mirrors
Privacy Glass
Ipod Dock
Leather Armrest With Prep and buetooth
Rear Parking Sensors
MFSW
black Optics Grill
Storage pack

so nearly every extra ticked and when i get an s3 will want more or less the same.
hope this helps.

cheers for the advice guys and thanks for the welcome. Yes thats the one and it does look tidy. It does seem to have a few extras mentioned and DSG is a bonus but the only one I'll miss is the bluetooth tbh, oh and the extra 40 bhp lol. But thats just a remap as you know. I haven't been to see it yet but I'm going to give them a ring and sound them out first. Dont want to rush into it as I'm quite impulsive when it comes to buying cars lol.

Didn't know I could post links! Here's another which is only down the road:

http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=1526959837&width=266&height=200

Got a link to the red ones? Looks tidy from the small photos lol. Bluetooth can be retrofitted so nothing to worry about there lol. Best advise just wait for the right car and decide what option are a must :happy:

as above really... there are loads of A3s out there, so one of them will have what you want on it. if you're impatient you could always retrofit stuff, but bear in mind that auto lights/wipers need a new windshield

That sounds a great price but unlike your Seat which has a few options (i looked at one myself) the A3 comes with a huge amount of boxes to tick and the price between a fully loaded one and a basic one can be huge.

Heres some options to look out for on S lines

Full leather instead of standard half leather
RNS-e sat nav
bluetooth
CD changer or ipod
Bose
DSG or manual
5 spoke RS4 wheels or upgraded multispoke BBS
Roof rails
Panoramic sunroof on 5dr or normal sunroof on 3dr
Door trims in black or brushed alloy
Auto lights and wipers
Xenon lights
Rear parking sensors
auto fold mirrors

many more others may add. The best options for resale are the auto lights/wipers, RNS-E sat nav, Bose and Xenons. You will struggle to find many cars with the other options hoever a rare car occasionaly pops up with everything!

Agree with Lee in the main. Full Leather was Standard from end of 2007 until the facelift at end of 2008 (58 plate) with side indicators in door mirrors.

Looks very tidy and quite low priced considering the miles and year. Spec wise full leather and bose from what the advert says. If there local go check them out or as you said give them a call and check them out.
Good luck on the search and let us know how you get on. I take it your gonna part ex your current car?

I take it your gonna part ex your current car?

Yes mate it's a 2009. I'll see what's offered, start to cry and then hang up lol

There's alot to consider especially re the options and it's amazing how much kit is on my Cupra as standard....but then you can see where the corners have been cut! Don't get me wrong bang for buck as a performance car it can't be beaten and it hasn't put a foot wrong but I fancy a bit of luxury now.

One more question. Will the bose system work with the retro fit Sat nav from these people:

OEM Retrofits - Audi RNS-E, MMI High Sat Nav Units - Satellite Navigation Systems - Audi

Yes mate it's a 2009. I'll see what's offered, start to cry and then hang up lol

There's alot to consider especially re the options and it's amazing how much kit is on my Cupra as standard....but then you can see where the corners have been cut! Don't get me wrong bang for buck as a performance car it can't be beaten and it hasn't put a foot wrong but I fancy a bit of luxury now.

One more question. Will the bose system work with the retro fit Sat nav from these people:

OEM Retrofits - Audi RNS-E, MMI High Sat Nav Units - Satellite Navigation Systems - Audi

Haha wont blame you mate lol! Hope for the best on the part ex. Yes it will, may be worth asking one of the guys on here to retro fit the nav for you be alot cheaper. Also PM a member by the user name NHN he can get Sat Navs for you

Off today so going to have a look at the red one and the one below, which looks really nice! Will keep you updated. Cheers.

Cars For Sale

Well I went for a test drive of the one above. Nice car needs a good valet, few scratches need polishing and a kerbed rear wheel which the dealer said they would do. First A3 I've driven so a bit different to the Cupra being more refined and less focused on power delivery but I liked it all the same.The car has plenty of toys and the roof rails are a bonus. They offered me £14k for mine which to be honest I was expecting. Seen them in car supermarkets for 15k so not too bad.

Now I am a bit picky but there were two deepish scratches on the top of the silver trim that surrounds the rings in the centre of the steering wheel. Here You can just make them out to the left. I Should have taken a photo to show but anyway the dealer said they can't be done as it's all part of the airbag. Tbh this is the only thing that put me off (I said I was picky lol) but I would have thought they can be touched up?

Welcome to the Forum Andy....love the look of the Cupra, lovely looking cars on the outside, just a damn shame they employed Ssangyong to design the cabin!!

Best of luck with the search mate

also looking at the pictures, depends how deep they are, had similar issues on the misus Cooper S which had some scratching on the same type of material....weirdly that polished out with normal polish beleive it or not..... otherwise i shouldnt worry, you'll most likely end up upgrading to a flat bottomed wheel anyways ;)

Welcome to the Forum Andy....love the look of the Cupra, lovely looking cars on the outside, just a damn shame they employed Ssangyong to design the cabin!!

Yes your right about the interior but thats what you get when your at the very bottom of the VW parts bin haha. Thanks for the welcome too!

Just seen the car in auto trader for 12.5k but on there website it's 13k which is the price I was looking at. Don't know if they have just changed it this morning or I failed to notice the difference. Mmm might have to ring and point that out. I am tempted but I think I should go and see the red 3 door tommorow. My impulsive nature is starting to kick in. In my head I've already fitted sportlines and had it mapped lol.

How much is a flat steering wheel anyway?

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. Yes your right about the interior but thats what you get when your at the very bottom of the VW parts bin haha. Thanks for the welcome too!

Just seen the car in auto trader for 12.5k but on there website it's 13k which is the price I was looking at. Don't know if they have just changed it this morning or I failed to notice the difference. Mmm might have to ring and point that out. I am tempted but I think I should go and see the red 3 door tommorow. My impulsive nature is starting to kick in. In my head I've already fitted sportlines and had it mapped lol.

How much is a flat steering wheel anyway?

One of the guys are selling a black one for £350 but normally i think they go for £400-£550 on ebay.
I'd give them a call and ask the price lol? As said could of changed it or not noticed the difference lol. Which would you prefer fella 3door or 5door? If the red one local go see it tomorrow and then decide.:thumbsup: remember not to rush into anything.
Who you gonna let remap it?

Well I went for a test drive of the one above. Nice car needs a good valet, few scratches need polishing and a kerbed rear wheel which the dealer said they would do. First A3 I've driven so a bit different to the Cupra being more refined and less focused on power delivery but I liked it all the same.The car has plenty of toys and the roof rails are a bonus. They offered me £14k for mine which to be honest I was expecting. Seen them in car supermarkets for 15k so not too bad.

Now I am a bit picky but there were two deepish scratches on the top of the silver trim that surrounds the rings in the centre of the steering wheel. Here You can just make them out to the left. I Should have taken a photo to show but anyway the dealer said they can't be done as it's all part of the airbag. Tbh this is the only thing that put me off (I said I was picky lol) but I would have thought they can be touched up?

As said not sure how it could be touched but sure some of the other guys will have ideas.
Well at least you expected the part ex price:thumbsup:Love that colour and the optic grille looks sweet.

Well the silver sportline at LAWSON's has gone but to be honest I wouldn't have been happy with it anyway. Just got back from looking at the red 3 door in Newcastle. Absoloutely immaculate. The pictures don't do it justice and the interior is pristine. Only a few crease marks on the offside seat bolster and the back is untouched. All the silver bits inside are perfect and it has bose, phone prep and bluetooth. 26k so good mileage, Just been serviced, taxed till July and they would give 6 months warranty. The only thing I would miss is being able to plug in my usb stick with all my music.
Really tempted but the guy couldn't get a price from a Seat dealer for mine so we'll see when he does. Other than that one there's no other similiar models in my area.

One of the guys are selling a black one for £350 but normally i think they go for £400-£550 on ebay.
Who you gonna let remap it?

Alot for a steering wheel mind, think I could live with the standard one. The Audi wheel feels slimmer compared to the GTI/Cupra wheel. I read somewhere that this gives more feel? Don't know but I liked it anyway. To be honest I was quite impressed with the ride too. I have read reviews that slated it for being too hard and choppy.

It would probs be Revo for the map but P Torque are getting some good reviews on Seatcupra.net.

yeah the Audi wheels have always tended to be a bit thinner, a couple of the 8L boys have upgraded to R32 SW's.

Just make sure it's what your after mate, i got this car im in now and ticked most of the boxes within weeks (luckily)....the new one im searching for is going to be months (without doubt) but am prepared to wait for the right car knowing i will be able to live with it as long as like...rather than being manipulated by everyone elses upgrade path :)

erm, fellow Sheffielder young man? :salute:

erm, fellow Sheffielder young man? :salute:

Ahh a fellow "de da". Yes mate haha, I'm on an overseas secondment (settled and happy one though) to the North East lol! There's loads of us up here taking over the place. One of my mates/colleagues is a blade:thumbsup:which is a bonus.
I know what you mean about taking my time. I don't think I could do much better than the red one though for that price. I'll play it cute and see whats on offer. I know where I want to be on price and if it doesn't happen there will be others. Still a bit reticent about swapping for an older car but then it's a marque or 2 up (with better re-sale value) and I don't want to shell out anymore cash.

oh we'll get on well....im an Owl :p and an envious one at that knowing your up there experiencing the Geordie delights!! (love women with that accent :) )

It will make sense in the longer run, I did Vauxhall to Audi a few years back (9 to be exact), moving back 3 car years...... can never see me going to anything else now, about to buy my third after discounting everything else 'again'

oh we'll get on well....im an Owl :p and an envious one at that knowing your up there experiencing the Geordie delights!! (love women with that accent :) )

Oh yes! The town on a weekend is a joy to be hold. Very friendly too, so bonus!

Well they offered the same trade in so Its mine if I want it and because I have equity in the cupra Ill be quids in. They've put some interior pictures on the site now. Decisions decisions! OH thinks Im having a mid life crisis lol.

Finally got round to putting some pics up. Really happy with it. I've got some mods in the pipeline(when cash comes available!) Including a remap and some lowering. In the meantime I'm just going to enjoy it as standard. Hope you like!

Flickr: Andy's Photostream

Last edited: