A3 thermostat change

Nath94

Reaction score
Hi, I have a problem with the temp gauge got reaching 90 and fluctuating up and down.
I’ve had the temp sensor changed and still no joy... I’ve came to the conclusion it’s the thermostat.
Can anyone explain the process on how to change the thermostat, it’s a 2.0 tdi CR170 engine 2010 if that helps.
Thanks!

Hi, I have a problem with the temp gauge got reaching 90 and fluctuating up and down.
I’ve had the temp sensor changed and still no joy... I’ve came to the conclusion it’s the thermostat.
Can anyone explain the process on how to change the thermostat, it’s a 2.0 tdi CR170 engine 2010 if that helps.
Thanks!

You’ve saved me making the same thread. I have the exact same engine with the exact same problem. I could be on a long journey and the temp gauge will sometimes be on 90 but more often than not it is less than 90.

same block i think i stand to be corrected mines in the same place on an 07 tdi pd

same block i think i stand to be corrected mines in the same place on an 07 tdi pd
Thanks Lee! I will have a look!
Ab1702 - I only noticed when I drove to France my temp gauge was sitting around 70, sometimes it would go up but then come back down again. Obviously the cars been using more fuel.
I’ll have a go at the thermostat at the weekend see if it fixes the problem.
It’ll be good to hear from someone who has done the job so they can give me some tips when changing he thermostat.

Only buy genuine, not from ecp, tps is ok.
Yes you will use extra fuel if not at 90.
I never did mine son in law is a mechanic lol

Last edited:
Yeah I always get my parts from TPS

Reactions: LEE69
When the outside temp is below 10C, they do seem to run a bit cold unless on very long runs

Yeah mine was doing on a 600mile drive to France in 35 degrees so theres Definitely something faulty. So first I changed the temp sensor that runs the gauge and no luck so now I’m thinking it’s the thermostat.

elsawin guide attached

Attachments

• cbbbThermostat.pdf
    502.4 KB · Views: 556
Thanks! I will have a look through once I have finished work

Did you ever do this?
Mine is in at the garage now having service, cambelt and water pump. He’s called me earlier and said he’d have to take the front end off to get to it and he doesn’t have time to do it today.
It doesn’t look to me like it’s that big of a job from the elsawin guide that someone attached above.

I understood they go in via the right side wheel arch on the A3. Taking the grill and bumper off won't give any better access

I understood they go in via the right side wheel arch on the A3. Taking the grill and bumper off won't give any better access
Well it’s having the cambelt and water pump done at the minute so I assumed it wouldn’t have took much more work to do the thermostat at the same time.

Old thread I know, but just the topic I am looking for.

A3 2.0 TDI CR (CFGB) is having another cambelt and waterpump soon (annoying 5 year limit for UK) . I have my doubts the thermostat is good and would like it changed, if it makes sense to do so with the other work.

Is there much extra labour to change the thermostat while the cambelt and waterpump is being done please? I don't see it mentioned as a no brainer when changing the waterpump like on some other cars.

I always do, I just tell my mechanic to put a new stat in, I know they are a pig to do lol

But how much additional work is it? Am I correct in thinking the thermostat doesn't sit behind the waterpump like on some VAG engines?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I don't know I don't do it lol, yeah sits on the front of the block bottom left. If you have DSG you also have another thermostat in a hose.
Phone some independent vag places for a price, then phone Audi lol let us know
There is a guide on youtube if you can wield a spanner, I use too.

Old thread I know, but just the topic I am looking for.

A3 2.0 TDI CR (CFGB) is having another cambelt and waterpump soon (annoying 5 year limit for UK) . I have my doubts the thermostat is good and would like it changed, if it makes sense to do so with the other work.

Is there much extra labour to change the thermostat while the cambelt and waterpump is being done please? I don't see it mentioned as a no brainer when changing the waterpump like on some other cars.
It’s not the simplest of tasks to say it’s just a thermostat. I found the proper instructions on elsawin and it’s quite involved. I’ve only had one quote so far and that was £250 for them to supply and fit a genuine part.

Reactions: GSB1
But how much additional work is it? Am I correct in thinking the thermostat doesn't sit behind the waterpump like on some VAG engines?

A19 10951

Attachments

• cfgbthermostat.pdf
    437.8 KB · Views: 390
Reactions: GSB1
Thanks. So probably easier with the front in service position as for cambelt, but otherwise different tasks as the stat is in it's own housing (not with the waterpump).

Mine is a CBBB engine it’s a 170tdi Quattro and looks harder to get to compared to those instructions above so yours might not be so bad.
I’d be interested to hear if anybody has changed one on a cbbb engine or how much they paid and/or how long it took etc if anybody has.