A3 tyres

SM18

Audi A3
Reaction score
hi

Just wondering if Audi recommend a certain brand of tyre for a3? Or does anyone have any recommendations? 17” audi alloys..

Currently on Michelin’s

Not a direct answer to the question, but I too would be interested in tyre recommendations for 17 inch rims. The original factory fitted tyres on my car were Dunlop Max. When I bought the car 3 weeks ago I noticed the fronts were down to 3mm, so as part of the deal I got these replaced. I guess I should have been more specific about tyre make, because the dealer fitted a pain of Falken Azenis tyres. Fortunately, from reviews I've read, these seem ok, but I'm wondering whether to replace the rear tyres (only 4 mm tread left) with 2 more Falken, our whether to go for a premium brand. I've had good experience with Michelins on previous cars.

@Mikeso51 I always stick best tyres on the back, might be worth you swapping. Makes a big difference in handling. My wife’s old 500 was incredible after changing rear tyres.

Ideally 4 matching but I’d always put better rain rating on rear and fuel rating on front, I personally think Pirelli are great, got those on my discovery 4...

Used to run a mk5 golf with mich on front and Goodyear on back, and found mich would wear out to fast on front..

Tried Bridgestone once far to hard, better on hgv and agricultural stuff

I think when the mich runs out in wife a3 I’ll go with Pirelli, just intrigued what others are running??

I’ve got a feeling Audi recommend Pirelli, I know land rover does!
My brother had some Faulken on back of his merc recently, changed from Avon, both suffering from to much scrubbing. But being a rwd and a heavy right foot might not be helping..

I think any tyre with an "AO" on it's sidewall would be considered recommended by Audi.

I have 10 A3s to date and they have come from the factory on various tyres including mostly Hankook and Dunlop. The last two have had Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 225/45 R17 91Y. I been quite happy with them being a good mix between grip and road noise.

From Audi's site:

AO

Specially created for each Audi model and manufactured using the latest materials and testing criteria, Audi Genuine tyres ensure both wheel rim and tyre are coordinated to meet our exacting requirements.

To achieve the ‘AO’ marking for every model Audi Genuine tyres have to undergo around 50 performance criteria tests.

This is considerably more stringent than statutory tyre regulations.

Audi Genuine tyres are at the forefront when it comes to safety, comfort and driving on any road surface.

Looking to get (AO) P-Zeros soon, for their good rim protection, mainly.
wife has P Zeros (obv. not the AO ones) on her Mini JCW. VERY good Rim protection:

Jcw alloy