A3 v A4 ... help ..... please

A3 TDi DSG or A4 2.0 TDi Sline Multitronic

• Go for the A3 its the best car and the DSG is good

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Nope go for the A4 be a bit older enjoy the comfort and the multitronic box is a match for DSG

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
I've been looking for a replacement for my 2.0 GT TDi Golf now since May this year and everytime I think i've ofund something I end up changing my mind, the only thing I think i'm certain on is black, auto and diesel. I've gone from Volvo S60 thru Jag S type's but keep coming back to Audi's.

So the question is - or even poll, which would make the better car,

A3 2.0 TDi DSG Sline or Sport either 3 door or Sportback

or

A4 2.0 TDi Sline Multitronic

I've driven both, the A4 for 20 minutes with the salesman in the car, its comfy, smooth auto and looks good. Downside is the questionable reliability of the multitronic. Also its a conventional auto and not as quick as the DSG box. Oh and can flappy paddles be retro fitted, i must have the paddles !

A3 2.0 TDi

I like both the 3 door and the Sportback, ultimate decision would be down to the perfect spec car, this I had on test for 2 hours. I like the gearbox, although its not quite as smooth to change around town but rattling around a backroad its quite good fun, its certainly a very good comprimise between auto and manual. The A3 is a bit harder riding ( test car was on 17's ) and feels more like the GOlf in the respect that you can throw it around a bit.

So opinions please, if you own one if the time came to replace it would you consider the same or would you never own it again ? Whatever I get will be remapped, if its a low spec A3 then i'm prepared to fit leather change the alloys, fit ottienger body kit after market ice, and i'll probably do the same to the A4 except the leather.

One thing I do know i don't want is BOSE, the A3 I tried had this and as soon as we turned it up the wife said eeurrrrghhhhh thats horrid we don't want that !!! so 10/10 for her !

Thanks for any help you can offer.

If it was my money I was spending, and all the cars fall in the same price range, surely it's got to be the A3 Sportsback with DSG if possible. It's the best looking car out of the three in my opinion, and it will hold it's value better also. :)

I opted for the A3 2.0TDi S-Line DSG.

I tried the A4 but it just felt a bit to old for me if you know what I mean. I personally love the DSG and even though some hate it I would not have any other now. The A4 is bigger and it feels much bigger but i was like you, I came from a Golf into the Audi and for me the car just seemed to suit me better.

The Sportback is in my opinion the best of all worlds. It offers good, easy access to rear seat passengers. It still has that sporty styling. Residuals are better too.

I'd say it's an all round good package. Now many of the owners on her have S3's and I'm sure they will all say the 3 door looks more sporty etc. I agree to a point but the 5 door Sportback beats the 3 door for practicality every day of the week.

Having said all that, there is no real right or wrong answer. It's all opinions. You have done the right thing by testing all of the cars and ultimately I think you have probably already made up your mind which of the cars would be best for you.

Good luck in your choose and I'm sure what ever it is you will enjoy it.

Steve, I have the A3 with the Bluefin and it's great. I normally change my car every couple of months but ive had this one for just on a year. Even with the b/fin it's not as quick as the Mk5 GTi (DSG) i used to own but the build is far better. MPG isnt bad either.
As above i love the 3 door but it is a bit wrong asking BIG:) people to get in the back lol Sportback looks great too.

Thanks for the reply so far, sporting wise the sportback wins for me, it looks great in black or grey with alloy roof rails, i just wonder if I would miss the comfort of the A4 since thats the reason I want rid of the golf. I'll probably hire one from Avis for a weekend ( currently £96 for the weekend with a 2.0 SLine Auto )

The A3 is walking it in the polls!
Actually, you failed to mention your age, marital status or wether you have a family or not, which would effect your choice. Hope you are not too old, these are proper old mans cars!
Volvo S60 thru Jag S type's

I didn't vote, because the choice is crap.
Multitronic is awful, but I think DSG is ***** too !
If you were to go manual, it would be the A4 every time.
Having owned both, the A4 is streaks ahead of the A3 in build quality and refinement.

I voted Sportback DSG as it has the best of both worlds with the 'right' image. The Sportback actually feels bigger in the cabin than the A4 with plenty of leg room - the A4 sounds more refined with the 2.0tdi but beware of noisy climate Control on the B7 model at motorway speeds, issue can be lessened with an Audi Upgraded pollen filter but only available if requested. The A4 also handles well for a 'big' car and is softer sprung than the SB but I would still go for the SB unless your budget stretches to the new A4 when released. If you need a recommendation for a leather re-trim take a look at one of my previous posts I had my A4 S-Line done and it was lovely as confirmed by the Audi dealership at PX time and reflected by a great price attained.

I'm 34 married, no kids, car will cover 17k per year. bowfer, I appreicate your comments but spending 1/2 hour in traffic every morining the Golf has destroyed clutch my leg, although I will say that the A3/4 seems to have a much lighter clutch.

SteveTDCi said:
I'm 34 married, no kids, car will cover 17k per year. bowfer, I appreicate your comments but spending 1/2 hour in traffic every morining the Golf has destroyed clutch my leg, although I will say that the A3/4 seems to have a much lighter clutch.

The wife does between 20 & 30K per year, her previous car was a VW 1.9tdi 130bhp with the tiptronic - she switched to Auto after needing a Knee operation at only 32 due to strain on her ligaments, I wasn't keen on the idea of an Auto but am now convinced its the only way to go if covering many miles or sitting in traffic. Her latest DSG is superb as I've said before and leagues ahead of the tiptronic - Go for the Sportback it may be based on the Golf but no offence intended it is a far nicer place to be in the right spec.

I've owned a Mk5 Gti, the wife has a high spec Jetta which we bought private after opting out of co. car scheme - I'm a real VW fan but Audi has the edge IMO.

I'm with Bowfer on this. A4 is a higher quality car. Although the A3 is a newer chassis and may feel better on the road depending on suspension choice.

Having owned our 1.9 130 for 3 years I kind of wish that we'd gone auto as you can end up stirring the 'box a lot in traffic but the clutch is quite light so it's not really a problem. Given the problems with multitronics I'd stay well clear of them.

I'm also not a fan of the Sportback shape. Just looks all wrong to me. But of course that's my opinion.