A3 vs S3 which to buy?

Joshx98

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I’m looking at getting myself another Audi (I’ve had 2 before), I’ve found 2 that I really like. One is a 2013 5 door A3 1.8 TFSI but is FWD, the other is a 2016 5 door S3 2.0 Quattro. Both have the same colour and spec but the S3 has the super sport seats and a custom carbon fibre steering wheel. The A3 is stage 3 tuned making 311bhp and the S3 is stage 2 tuned making 415bhp. I’ve owned an S3 before and had it stage 1 tuned and always thought I wanted more power. But the S3 is 6k more expensive. Has anyone owned a FWD tuned Audi before? What’s it like putting the power down? Should I just go for the S3? I’m really not sure. Thank you for all your help.

S3

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Joshx98
:s3addict: we're all very happy to make you spend more money but you won't be disappointed as it sounds like you want/need POWER in your life.

Reactions: Joshx98
S3

311 bhp from front wheels only is a big ask. Straight line in the dry will be reasonably manageable from a rolling start (there is a Seat Leon Cupra ~365bhp FWD) but as soon as the road surface becomes less than perfect, has a bend, or wet road, it will bog down or drop power / wash out into understeer.

S3 is a different beast. AWD, different suspension, vectored braking, bigger brakes. Of note, even the S3 is torque limited in 1st & 2nd even with AWD - now think about that power in FWD....

Neither are perfect and the super sports seats are in demand but over rated.

Both of the ones you are looking at have dual injection (port and direct) so no worries on the valve carbonisation. As you describe, the S3 map is not pushing the spec as much.