Facelift A3 water dripping from exhaust back box

B33r

Reaction score
Hey people, car is a 2019 A3 35 TFSI (1.5) btw (so it’s got a GPF) with about 2k miles on clock.

This might just be something I’ve never noticed before but I parked facing slightly up hill and when I got back to my car (after about 5 mins) there was a trail of liquid on the road coming from under the car. It was clear and odourless so I’m pretty sure it was water. I assumed it would be aircon liquid but I had a look under car and was coming from a hole in the exhaust back box.

Something I have noticed is that for the first 5-10 mins of driving every day the exhaust does produce quite a lot of vapour (can see it in rear view mirror through back window)

Guess couple of questions really. Is it normal for water to be leaking out of here (there’s a couple of pics I got below) and is this engine renowned for producing a lot of water and explains what seems like excessive vapour during first part of driving and it dripping from the backbox (where it is pooling)?

I’m a bit concerned about future exhaust erosion if there is often loads of water sitting in it.

Thanks!

d61a00434a599d86776293ecb67dbfba.jpg

918e10a0cc866afeaeed50a7aaf6fcb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t say specifically for GPF cars but what you describe is generally normal and the drain hole is to reduce the amount of condensation sitting in the exhaust system and corroding it. It also helps to avoid that situation of cars with cold engines literally dribbling water out of the exhaust on acceleration or going up a hill.

IIRC the EA211 engine has an integrated exhaust manifold which cools the exhaust gases (& helps warm a cold engine) so the exhaust will be cooler than other cars for longer - hence visible vapour in rear view mirror for longer and more condensation in exhaust (or back box).

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Funny you say that, the Mrs followed me one morning and did comment there was a little water dripping out the back, nothing insane but certainly some. I normally park facing slightly downhill so wonder if I’m making it worse as it won’t be able to drip out after I’ve parked up.

The car is predominately used for fairly short journeys (~5 miles) in start stop traffic and then maybe a long drive every few weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try switching parking downhill for uphill and monitor any potential leakage.

All sounds perfectly normal though.