a4 1.8 tqs project

mikeyorion

Reaction score
hi im new here , and new to audi

I've just bought a 99 a4 tqs in cactus green ,will upload some pics soon

It's done 143k ,full service history cambelt done 10k ago

I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions as I go

I've got few problems I need to get sorted

It needs a few suspension bushes on the rear end , though I'm having trouble identifying what ones are what and where to get them from (if anyone can help that would be awesome)

Also some bushes on the front (once again any help would be great )

Rattling coming from turbo area , I've done some googling and found various things
Mine seems to have all the symptoms of a knackered wastegate flap,is there a fix for this ? Or is it new turbo time ?

Also around 65 mph it develops a nasty vibration which shakes the whole car pretty badly , I'm sure it's from backend somewhere lol , any ideas ?

Cheers in advance
Mike

Get the rear end refresh kit from allgermanparts along with a meyle hd kit.

Rattling from turbo on overrun will be the wastegate flapper look at a hybrid upgrade from beachbuggy turbos.

Vibration could be diff, diff mounts or wheel bearing etc dont go too stiff on the rear mounts.

Vibration could also be simple wheel balancing, check the simplest things first!

As above, all the rear bushes will be shot, Jason at all german does a kit for the rear with all the bushes, new drop links and new tie rods. Worthwhile to just do the lot.

If you've still got boost then you can just ignore the rattle for a while. It'll rattle on for ages, but eventually it'll fall off and you end up with no boost, at which point its new turbo time. If your going standard, buy a K03-073 instead of the 005, costs the same but is good for about 40hp more.

Thanks for the replies ,yea I have no boost what so ever haha
I've had both rear tires replaced and balanced, vibration still there

Tried getting on the allgermanparts site but won't let me enter my vehicle details for some reason ,how much is the rear refresh kit ?

Can I ring the fella and order it ?

Cheers Mike

aye give him a ring, say you got the details off here. I cant remember how much he whole kit is, 250-300ish i think.

Awesome I will give him a ring

On another note popped the turbo off on my lunch break to have a look
It is the wastegate rattling, the welded part on top has cracked so I removed thebroken top part added a new washer and welded it haha

Did notice the housing looks cracked tho

Will do for a while I save for a ko4 or similar
Going back up to workshop shortly to refit it hopefully
Cheers mike

they're all cracked, doesnt seem to effect them much. However your wastegate seat is properly knackered, presumably from it rattling away for yonks. Might make it a bit laggier or struggle to maintain higher boost if its mapped.

Cheers bud ,Got it all back together and we have boost lol

Not massive boost it but defo better than none but I put that down to the turbo being pretty fubar
But it will do for now till funds allow for something spunky

Main concern now is getting suspension sorted ,wheel bearings and fresh brakes all round

Once it's mechanically sweet I will start on the journey to more power

What do people generally do for power upgradings ?

Will try get some more pics once it's cleaned up

Cheers Mike

Unlike some other models, theres not a huge deal of "tried and tested" power upgrades.

The standard turbo is only good for 190-200hp max, so a remap doesnt gain you a huge amount top end due to the car already making 180hp (Audi effectively just remapped the 150 engine to 180hp and didnt change any of the hardware), but does give a decent additional torque fill midrange which helps make it feel a lot quicker.

The usual turbo car mods like exhaust/intercooler etc help get you there, but none of it will get you beyond 200hp.

On the A3/Golf platform the K03S is the usual first upgrade step if not already there (golf and A3 switched to the K03S in around 2000), as those turbos are good for 230-240hp and due to being fitted to every golf and A3 after 2000ish they are common and easily found and slot straight on. However on the A4, the only model that got the K03S was the 190ps B6 1.8T special editions, and the golf version doesnt fit. So while its still an option, finding a used one is somewhat difficult, and they money they cost new makes you end up looking at a hybrid instead.

There are various hybrid turbo options, but the restrictive turbine housing means getting much more than 270-280hp is somewhat difficult, and TBH dynos of hybrid cars producing decent power are few and far between.

Beyond that, your into much bigger turbo conversions either the TFSI K04 with manifold adaptor, or into things like garrets and EFR's

Reactions: mikeyorion
Will a turbo off a awt engine fit my ajl ?
As I can get a low miles one off a car breaking near me
Cheers Mike

Awesome :laughing:
Also the timing chain that connects the cams , are these known for failing as mine appears to be noisy lol

Changed aux belt tensioner as mine fell apart

Fitted another exhaust flexi till I make a proper system up for it

When I do make a system up for it I've got scorpion rear box I'm thinking of putting on it

Mike

The tensioners can get worn and that makes the chain noisey. Low oil pressure can also cause it.

Need to get the cover off for a look

Picked up another turbo hoping to get that on sometime this week

Been told the diverter valves are problematic on these , any truth in that ?

Also got a abs fault , can't connect to abs module from code reader , any standard faults for this or likely to be dry joints on the board ?

Cheers in advance
Mike

The Dv's are not problematic, but they do fail when they get old. They're cheap new though. Dont bother with a fancy Forge one etc, theres no point.

theres wires inside the abs controller that fail, places repair them for about £100

Went in for her mot yesterday , and passed with flying colours

Which I found strange considering most of the bushes on the back end are shot lol

More soon Mike

Hi all
Going to give the old girl a service, what spark plugs and engine oil should these have ?

Cheers in advance mike

either work i guess.

The PFR6Q's are the factory fitment plug, and are platinum so last longer, but cost more to buy.

The BKR6E is the copper version of the same plug, is much cheaper, but doesnt last as long. The copper plugs are better at conducting electricity and heat too so potential benefits there.

One is essentially fit and forget, as they last something like 60k. The other might last 20k

I used to run BKR6Es and changed them every year at the service time. I could always tell when it was time to change them.

I have had the PFR6Qs and have not noticed any detrerioration in them and they have been in the car for about 3 years. Only about 8k miles though.

It's still going lol , bought a turbo fitting kit so should be able to get the other turbo on soon
What sort of boost should these make standard, as I've fitted a boost gauge and it's telling me it peaks at 10psi ? On a knackered turbo (wastegate)

Been looking at proper turbo upgrade in the future rather than hybrid, what are the favourite choices people are using ?

Also what's required to fit s4 bumpers and skirts ? What brakes could I squeeze behind the standard wheels? Is there anywhere I can buy a lcd for the cluster? as mine has got the famous lines and can't read anything its displaying ,what sort of a job is it to change the cam chain tensioner?

Planning on gathering a shed load of parts and taking a week off work to do it
Once my other toy is sorted

Sorry for the 101 questions
Cheers in advance

10psi is stock boost.

The LCD's are on ebay.

S4 stuff fits right on, you just need all the brackets and fittings.

More of the Onion.

I have this buried away in the garage. Although it no longer has a single wiper or white bumper strips.
PICT0304.jpg

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q and Bradderz_1988
Rs turbo looks mint oranoco

Will post some more pics of my onion up shortly ,it's a n/a 1.8 Zetec which I put in last to get to some shows , currently building a fully forged Zetec bottom end with spunky head ,area six cams ...with the intention of putting a t34 on it :)

Spent 3k on the onion last year just rebuilding the underside(including 2 weeks of me welding it back together) , everything under there is new or rebuilt ,full koni suspension ,poly bushed throughout, cosworth front brakes ,rs turbo rear brakes (disc conversion soon)full stainless exhaust and the list just goes on and on

Hope to have my a4 minted up by the end of the year , with a host of new parts
Spoken to Jason at allgermanparts and got a really good deal on full suspension bush/arm set , just need to get four wheel bearings,shock tops, and brakes all round (debating on a brake upgrade on the front ) then I should have most bits to make it drive as it should !

Would love to do a stroker build on it in the future but I'm thinking that's probably a bit excessive For the time being haha

Cheers Mike

Had her since I was 19 (21 years ago). Loads of mods and before being tucked away was making 270bhp and was featured in both Fast Ford and Performance Ford magazines. Also had a Fiesta RS Turbo but rather than being sensible and drop kicking my ex out the door I sold it and gave her the money. Hindsight and all that.

Good to hear you've kept it all this time bud

Mine will be at fordfair on show
You going fella ?

Dedication right there , I've been going there since I was 18 now 26

All is not well .....me and my car were in a hit and run yesterday, done a bit of damage but I think the icing on the cake is the police don't want to do anything about it

My car needs boot lid ,bumper ,bumper beam and boot shut needs straightening out

Any one on here braking a s4 for its bumper haha ?

Half debating on selling the car on now ,but unsure of what it's worth ,anyone on here want it ?

Well that's ford fair out of the way for another year , back to the Audi

I have a number of things to get sorted

I'm after some bits if anyone's breaking one on here , fl rear bumper with beam and shock mounts ,fl boot lid ..... Oh and a cigar lighter cover that's in the centre console as mine is missing and annoying the hell out of me

And my car is only doing 16mpg no matter how I drive it :/ ,temperature gauge isn't working either , replaced ect sensor still no joy ...... I'm thinking fuel economy and temperature not working are related ?

also got to do some wheel bearings on it are there any Audi specific tools for this job ?

Cheers in advance Mike